ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Snare mic  (Read 12746 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Snare mic
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 02:22:21 PM »

I agree on the fragility of 98's.  Heck, sometimes they quit if you look at them crooked...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 02:22:52 PM »

Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 02:24:23 PM »

I can't speak for anyone else but in almost two years on snare and tom duty I have not lost one yet.
Steven Alves

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 02:25:27 PM »

So here's my $0.02 worth... It is NOT NECESSARY to mic a snare drum with half the mic over the rim.  You probably don't even need to put the mic capsule over the drum head, and you probably don't need it "looking" down at the head.

If you don't under-mic the drum for the snare rattle, I find the best position about 4"- 6" off the shell, about midway between the top and bottom.  If the drummer does a lot of side stick and rimshot work, move the mic up a little.  The drummer will think you're crazy but it will sound balanced, your EQ will suddenly do things you've not heard before (because you have a better source) and your mics will survive.

Failing that, somewhere on the 'net is a pic of a 57 with the dinner fork taped to it, the tines over the mic capsule.  There is also a pic of the same thing with a spoon but I think the fork sounds better. ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Thomas Le

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 02:26:27 PM »

Beta 56A for me, though you have to sacrifice a small stand and space for one.

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 02:31:00 PM »

Failing that, somewhere on the 'net is a pic of a 57 with the dinner fork taped to it, the tines over the mic capsule.  There is also a pic of the same thing with a spoon but I think the fork sounds better. ;)

I would think the fork would sound a little sharp ;)
Steven Alves

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 02:42:40 PM »

I can't speak for anyone else but in almost two years on snare and tom duty I have not lost one yet.

To which I say, good for you!  We haven't lost a snare mic of any kind due to a stick hit in.... years.  I've probably jinxed us now, but mostly it's because we don't really do bar bands or very many of the community events with sucky players.  I suspect you've gotten a better crop of drummers than many of the Loungers.

The original 98 would fail for, as Rees put it, looking at it crooked.  No problems with the actual sound until they die.  We've been much more pleased with Audio Technica's AT35/Pro35.  They shatter impressively when hit, but don't fail otherwise.  I think we've lost 1 to a stick hit, 1 got stepped on during a set change, and 1 had the wire pulled out of line lump - out of about 24 units none have had 'mysterious' failures - and most of that inventory is 10 years old or older.

The 98 is popular tom mic, too.  That's where you have the mystery failures.  It's working fine and then in the next song, not there.  If the drummer has 4 toms, carry 8 mics and you'll make it through the tour....

Don't get me wrong, the 98 is a decent mic and it's the same element in the 91.  There was something about how it is mounted, cabled... something different... that made it more susceptible to failure.  If they're 100% for your use, carry on and enjoy them.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 02:43:11 PM »

I would think the fork would sound a little sharp ;)

It's to compensate for the guitarist playing flat. ;)

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2014, 02:55:53 PM »

It's to compensate for the guitarist playing flat. ;)

Stick the fork, tines up, on the guitarists seat - that'll sharpen him up... ;)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2014, 03:26:43 PM »

The 98 is popular tom mic, too.  That's where you have the mystery failures.  It's working fine and then in the next song, not there.  If the drummer has 4 toms, carry 8 mics and you'll make it through the tour....

This is EXACTLY what I experienced NOB.  I've never trusted them ever since.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2014, 03:26:43 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.