ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Snare mic  (Read 12754 times)

John Roll

Snare mic
« on: November 10, 2014, 11:37:58 AM »

I was using an SM57, but I had to replace too many windscreens and clips, so I went to an Audix I5. I like the sound of both mics, but with the kind of "all over the place" hitters I deal with, I need some recommendations for a smaller profile mic that I can "hide" from errant stickage. SM98? etc. Suggestions?
John Roll
JMR Pro Audio

QSC, JBL, Presonus, Audix, K&M, EWI, Furman

Steve Oldridge

Re: Snare mic
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 11:44:16 AM »

I was using an SM57, but I had to replace too many windscreens and clips, so I went to an Audix I5. I like the sound of both mics, but with the kind of "all over the place" hitters I deal with, I need some recommendations for a smaller profile mic that I can "hide" from errant stickage. SM98? etc. Suggestions?
audix F90 or d-Micro

Mark Long

• Dayton, OH
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 11:50:58 AM »

I've been using e604 on snare for years. I like it better than a 57. Clips on quick too.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 12:07:46 PM »

+1 for the e604. Sounds good and can take a lickin'
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 12:11:44 PM by Jamin Lynch »

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 12:16:25 PM »

I personally use Beta98amp mics on the snare and toms. They clip on and hide away pretty well.
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 01:50:13 PM »

I personally use Beta98amp mics on the snare and toms. They clip on and hide away pretty well.

Not sure how well a 98 would hold up to very many stick wacks

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 02:00:12 PM »

That would be my least favorite drum mic for just that reason, as well as the fragile cable connection. I would also avoid a clip on mic on a snare because it is a big PITA when the drummer decides to swap out the snare mid set.

Mac

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 02:08:28 PM »

Many?  How about *1*.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 02:17:50 PM »

That would be my least favorite drum mic for just that reason, as well as the fragile cable connection. I would also avoid a clip on mic on a snare because it is a big PITA when the drummer decides to swap out the snare mid set.

Mac

The 98 amp is designed for drums. No fragile cable.. The XLR plugs right in and only a short (well built) gooseneck hangs over the top a bit. Probably the least intrusive mic available. This video is not great but it shows you basically how it works http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt79ItHGB0o

And the clamp has a quick release.
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 02:19:36 PM »

The 98 amp is designed for drums. No fragile cable.. The XLR plugs right in and only a short (well built) gooseneck hangs over the top a bit. Probably the least intrusive mic available. This video is not great but it shows you basically how it works http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt79ItHGB0o

And the clamp has a quick release.

Whack it with a 2B with the PA at Full Tilt Boogie and let me know what you think of the nasty 48v pop as the mic dies.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 02:19:36 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.