ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EV speaker setup  (Read 2873 times)

charliebabb

EV speaker setup
« on: November 03, 2014, 01:39:38 AM »

Hey guys so recently I set up my new Electro voice speakers and subs for the first time. I have a total of 4 speakers and 4 subs. 2 per side. I noticed that one sub per side wasn't working. All I had was 2 top speakers with 1 sub working per side. The main input came into one of the top speakers, daisy chained to the next speaker then to sub 1 and then 2. Very strange. I even tried to come in through a sub then to a top speaker. Still one sub isn't working per side.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: EV speaker setup
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 04:06:32 AM »

Please post the model numbers, switch settings and what connectors the cables went so that we can help you.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 04:52:03 PM »

Hey guys so recently I set up my new Electro voice speakers and subs for the first time. I have a total of 4 speakers and 4 subs. 2 per side. I noticed that one sub per side wasn't working. All I had was 2 top speakers with 1 sub working per side. The main input came into one of the top speakers, daisy chained to the next speaker then to sub 1 and then 2. Very strange. I even tried to come in through a sub then to a top speaker. Still one sub isn't working per side.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help

Are these powered speakers, and you're connecting with XLR? If so, a bad sub may be the culprit.

If they are passive speakers, are you dealing with any pin 1/pin 2 switches like one would with JBL speakers?

If they are passive speakers, how are the cables running from amps to speakers? If, say, an NL4 is required and you are only using NL2, that might be a problem.

Have you verified that it's a speaker problem and not a cable problem? To do so, when you have a setup where one sub works and the other one doesn't -- swap the boxes. If the problem follows, it's a sub problem. If the problem stays out, it's a cabling issue.

As Scott said, posting model numbers would help, as without that, I am just tossing out WAGs for you!

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

charliebabb

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 01:43:44 AM »

Are these powered speakers, and you're connecting with XLR? If so, a bad sub may be the culprit.

If they are passive speakers, are you dealing with any pin 1/pin 2 switches like one would with JBL speakers?

If they are passive speakers, how are the cables running from amps to speakers? If, say, an NL4 is required and you are only using NL2, that might be a problem.

Have you verified that it's a speaker problem and not a cable problem? To do so, when you have a setup where one sub works and the other one doesn't -- swap the boxes. If the problem follows, it's a sub problem. If the problem stays out, it's a cabling issue.

As Scott said, posting model numbers would help, as without that, I am just tossing out WAGs for you!

-Ray

Thanks for the reply. Turns out after some further troubleshooting, I had 2 bad xlr cables.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 01:43:44 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 23 queries.