ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the danger  (Read 8507 times)

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: What's the danger
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 11:06:03 AM »

I agree with Rob.

Except for small generators, I think you are more likely to run into a 50 amp supply than a 30 amp supply.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 11:56:11 AM »

I would have 50a in & through with either 6 20a circuits (or for me, 4 20a & a L14-30 for my amp rack).
CS connectors for the in & through.
A CS to CS feeder cable if you need it.
A 14-50 range plug to CS cable.
A L14-30p to CS cable.

Make the cable lengths what ever you need.

The only other thing I might add is a bare wire to CS cable, less then 10 feet. Maybe some extra 50A breakers of different manufacture for venues where you know you don't have a range plug or other convenient outlet available but you can get to the electrical panel. TEST THIS FIRST, AND ENSURE THAT YOU HAVE A LICENSED ELECTRICIAN OR OTHERWISE QUALIFIED PERSONNEL MAKE THIS CONNECTION. (Gotta cover the legalities...) DO NOT WORK IN A HOT PANEL WITHOUT PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT. I have had venues that had a spare 50A breaker, not doing anything, and we were able to make use of that breaker with our tails.
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 12:41:07 PM »

The only other thing I might add is a bare wire to CS cable, less then 10 feet. Maybe some extra 50A breakers of different manufacture for venues where you know you don't have a range plug or other convenient outlet available but you can get to the electrical panel. TEST THIS FIRST, AND ENSURE THAT YOU HAVE A LICENSED ELECTRICIAN OR OTHERWISE QUALIFIED PERSONNEL MAKE THIS CONNECTION. (Gotta cover the legalities...) DO NOT WORK IN A HOT PANEL WITHOUT PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT. I have had venues that had a spare 50A breaker, not doing anything, and we were able to make use of that breaker with our tails.

Ray, I should have mentioned the tails. I have one but to save money for something I use rarely I put a 14-50 range socket on it and use it with the 14-50 to CS cable.  $12 vs $90.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 02:23:07 PM »

Would it actually be an offence (civil or criminal) to use it or is it just not to code?

Steve.
OK...OK...It's not to code
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 08:28:30 PM »

I have run my entire rig off of one 20 amp edison with no issues before when I had to and don't currently own any distro nor have I run into any situations so far where I wish I did. Quite content running off wall outlets however....

If I was to show up at a venue and the only outlet available was an L14-30P would this be safe to use? If not what's the potential danger.

http://www.amazon.com/Conntek-YL1430520S-Generator-Adapter-Connector/dp/B002MGJ2F4/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

Thanks

Everyone has said don't use it.  Now - here is a place I might use it.  One of our smaller b rigs has a motion labs distro with 2 20a PowerCon inputs, Edison out on the rear.  Each circuit is breakered.  I could see using it to power this distro as there is over current protection in the distro.  But the flip side is that I can't think of a situation where I would find an l14-30 but not 2 20a ccts. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 08:34:52 PM »

Everyone has said don't use it.  Now - here is a place I might use it.  One of our smaller b rigs has a motion labs distro with 2 20a PowerCon inputs, Edison out on the rear.  Each circuit is breakered.  I could see using it to power this distro as there is over current protection in the distro.  But the flip side is that I can't think of a situation where I would find an l14-30 but not 2 20a ccts. 

Yeah, and that overcurrent protection is what matters. It's where it can do some good: it will trip a breaker before burning out the plugs (hopefully). Not in the BEST place, but still helping.
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 08:36:06 PM »

Yeah, and that overcurrent protection is what matters. It's where it can do some good: it will trip a breaker before burning out the plugs (hopefully). Not in the BEST place, but still helping.

Yup - and that 1' of cable and connector without over current protection would probably keep me from using it. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 09:03:16 PM »

Yet you plug in lamps, electronics, etc with 6 feet of 18 awg wire to 20 amp circuits all the time-yes the loads are controlled and known-but so is a load downstream of a 20 amp breaker.

I don't know that I like the cable-it would be far to easy and likely to get misused, than to bail you out in the odd case where it will work. Might make sense if you routinely had a situation like above-but probably a better way to handle it if it becomes a routine occurance. 
Steve Swaffer

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 09:21:17 PM »

To keep things in context, ConnTek makes a bunch of these kinds of adapters and much of their business is aimed at the RV, marine and jobsite markets.

They claim UL listing "compliance" and if you look at the pics of some of the RV extension cords you'll see what looks like a holographic UL sticker.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2014, 07:47:25 AM »

To me, one of the conundrums of ULl isting is the phrase "listed for the purpose."  I understand UL won't list motors-instead they certify them-because they don't know the final use.  If I can't easily locate a UL listing verification that also tells me "the purpose" it was listed for I don't know the whole story.  I could see this cable being listed for temporary use to run two appliances from-but not necessarily being listed to supply 2 racks of gear.
Steve Swaffer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2014, 07:47:25 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.