ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the danger  (Read 8470 times)

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
What's the danger
« on: November 02, 2014, 10:45:06 AM »

I have run my entire rig off of one 20 amp edison with no issues before when I had to and don't currently own any distro nor have I run into any situations so far where I wish I did. Quite content running off wall outlets however....

If I was to show up at a venue and the only outlet available was an L14-30P would this be safe to use? If not what's the potential danger.

http://www.amazon.com/Conntek-YL1430520S-Generator-Adapter-Connector/dp/B002MGJ2F4/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

Thanks
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: What's the danger
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 12:49:19 PM »

If I was to show up at a venue and the only outlet available was an L14-30P would this be safe to use? If not what's the potential danger.

http://www.amazon.com/Conntek-YL1430520S-Generator-Adapter-Connector/dp/B002MGJ2F4/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

I don't see any breakers on it, so there's nothing limiting the 20A female connectors to only getting up to 20A. Since the L14-30 outlet is providing up to 30A per leg, you'd be able to pull more then the capacity of the 20A outs before the L14-30's breaker would trip.

I would not use it.
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 01:14:14 PM »

I have run my entire rig off of one 20 amp edison with no issues before when I had to and don't currently own any distro nor have I run into any situations so far where I wish I did. Quite content running off wall outlets however....

Thanks

Is there a circuit breaker for each of the 20 amp outlets?  If no, then it's not Code.  This device is built on the assumption that the user will power only a single tool or appliance from each outlet (hence no "need" for over-current protection), but in our uses or with cube taps and other multi-outlet devices that do not have internal circuit breakers, it is possible to overload the 12 ga conductors.

Now to answer your implied question, would I use it?  Yes, if I were connecting only a single load to each receptacle.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 02:47:46 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 02:41:59 PM »

Thanks
Not legal!
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 02:55:46 PM »

Not legal!

Would it actually be an offence (civil or criminal) to use it or is it just not to code?

Steve.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 03:18:33 PM »

Would it actually be an offence (civil or criminal) to use it or is it just not to code?

Steve.
Not to code, and an AHJ could press an issue with it. But, if you used it, started a fire, and caused property or personal damage, you might be liable for something.
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Scott Olewiler

• 4th Street Sound
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 04:16:33 PM »

Ok, I've read enough to not attempt to use anything like this.

So if I get a distro, should it be a 50 amp? It that what you typically have available? I haven't really noticed anything other than wall outlets any where I've worked,but, OTOH, I haven't been looking for anything else either.

I assume the safest bet is to have the 50 amp distro and pigtail, and then a second 30 amp pigtail on hand? Or will I need an assortment of pigtails?

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 04:42:09 PM »

Ok, I've read enough to not attempt to use anything like this.

So if I get a distro, should it be a 50 amp? It that what you typically have available? I haven't really noticed anything other than wall outlets any where I've worked,but, OTOH, I haven't been looking for anything else either.

I assume the safest bet is to have the 50 amp distro and pigtail, and then a second 30 amp pigtail on hand? Or will I need an assortment of pigtails?

I would have 50a in & through with either 6 20a circuits (or for me, 4 20a & a L14-30 for my amp rack).
CS connectors for the in & through.
A CS to CS feeder cable if you need it.
A 14-50 range plug to CS cable.
A L14-30p to CS cable.

Make the cable lengths what ever you need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 06:05:40 PM »

A BREAKERED distro for this is what you need. I looked on eBay and there aren't any right now. You may want to ask in the marketplace. If you are going to work at this venue often it would definately be worth it. While I wouldn't normally suggest a homebrew distro if you maybe have a friend that's an electrician the parts for something like this could be procured fairly simply and not to expensively at Home Depot.

Thanks
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Scott Olewiler

• 4th Street Sound
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 09:54:50 AM »

I would have 50a in & through with either 6 20a circuits (or for me, 4 20a & a L14-30 for my amp rack).
CS connectors for the in & through.
A CS to CS feeder cable if you need it.
A 14-50 range plug to CS cable.
A L14-30p to CS cable.

Make the cable lengths what ever you need.

Thanks. excellent.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 09:54:50 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 23 queries.