ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you credit final invoice for equipment that wasn't used?  (Read 3877 times)

Kyle Van Sandt

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 135
Re: Do you credit final invoice for equipment that wasn't used?
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 10:48:22 pm »

We only charge for what is used... but we are a road house so it is a different game.  However, if we sub in backline and the drummer shows up with a kit they promoter still eats the cost because we payed for it.  We do charge different levels for different levels of production, if you want our full monitor rig, FOH rig, racks and stacks, and all of our mics you get one rate vs a podium/mic talking heads thing.  It is all still there, but you don't have to pay for it.  In our place paying the rental fee for the hall includes nothing, we cost account for everything from PA to flooring to backline. 

I guess it really depends on how you are set up.  If every show is custom and you pack the truck every day for a different event then charge for what goes into the truck.  If you are one of the operations that operates on more of the film grip truck model where everything lives in the truck, then charge for what is hauled out of the truck. 
Logged
Kyle Van Sandt
Production Coordinator
The Egg, Albany, NY
vansandtdesigns.com

eric lenasbunt

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 864
    • Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
Re: Do you credit final invoice for equipment that wasn't used?
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 10:49:55 pm »


Thank you to everyone for all the valuable inputs. 

The on-site request one can be problematic.  From outdated stage plots to last minute shoe-in, to C acts that think they own the world, many times I've had to go beyond what was quoted to make it happen.  I've had to do things from bringing out another digital snake to patch the band's own set up to putting a sub on stage for the drummer. 

I agree that a wedge or two or an extra mic is probably not worth going after.  However, many show organizers do take these freebies for granted.  Perhaps it is better to invoice and then "good will" it?

The one time I drew the line was when tent covering the stage was too small and the lights hung would have been behind the lead singers.  I had to charge to get trusses up.  Luckily we carry trusses in the truck "just in case."

Many thanks,
JR

To clarify, I almost always have extra useful things on the truck and will frequently play the hero by helping out with that missing channel of wireless or extra guitar stands or whatever. I do not charge for that stuff but I do make sure the client (check writer) knows if I can do that in a classy way.
Fortunately I have yet to have anyone I felt like is taking advantage of us, but in fact feel this is one of many reasons we have so many happy clients. Fairness goes both ways. I would not want the client making a big deal out of us shorting a guitar stand in the pack, so I don't make a big deal out of helping them out with one.
  Now if I have to go back to the shop you are paying for sure.

Most of this business stuff just comes down to the golden rule. I have found if you are fair and helpful then 90% of clients will return the favor. The other 10% are learning experiences and patience growers.
Logged

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Do you credit final invoice for equipment that wasn't used?
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 10:49:55 pm »


Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
 



Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.