ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tough decision  (Read 2363 times)

Bob Kidd

tough decision
« on: October 30, 2014, 09:26:58 PM »

Well today I had to make a very tough call to part ways with a guy that has been working with me for 8 years. Business grew and we did fairly well but could not get along any longer. With this decision I will take a hit in revenue. He handle most of the gigs during week and when I was booked on weekends. The equipment was mine so I will be fine on that end. Have you ever had a situation in your business with someone who was like a partner or your right hand that things went south and you broke ties? Its tough.

David Parker

Re: tough decision
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 10:58:05 PM »

Well today I had to make a very tough call to part ways with a guy that has been working with me for 8 years. Business grew and we did fairly well but could not get along any longer. With this decision I will take a hit in revenue. He handle most of the gigs during week and when I was booked on weekends. The equipment was mine so I will be fine on that end. Have you ever had a situation in your business with someone who was like a partner or your right hand that things went south and you broke ties? Its tough.
I had a guy who worked for me for years, went to every gig. We could load in or out of the trailer, never say a word, and never get in each other's way. Life happened. We're still friends, but he got tired of it, got married, had a good day job, etc.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 03:41:32 AM »

Like David, I had a friend/helper/cohort who could read my mind. We worked gigs for about 4 years and life was good.  6 years later I am still trying to replace him, but I may have found the guy.
Mark McFarlane

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 07:06:13 AM »

Back in '98 my "right hand man" left me to pursue other options (that did not work out for him).

I was having second thoughts about the rental business and went to work for an install company who had been wanting me to work for them for years.

It was the best move I ever did.  Not only did I start to actually learn again, it brought new challenges to me, plus the regular real income was very nice.

I never thought I would want to do installs-but really loved it-until Tom called up and wanted to start a company.  Now I am living my dream :)))

Don't be afraid to try something new-you just might like it.

Sometimes things happen for a reason-which we don't understand until later.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John Sabine

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 08:53:02 AM »

It's better to end a partnership than to stay in one for too long. I've got the bills and the story to back that up. If you felt your partnership was going south you probably did the right thing.
"I think it needs more barn"

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 09:12:10 AM »

Ivan probably put it in a nutshell.

I would look at it the same way I have learned to view friendships….
……...'Reason, Season or Lifetime.'………

It could be the best thing that ever happened to both of you.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

David Parker

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 09:27:06 AM »

Ivan probably put it in a nutshell.

I would look at it the same way I have learned to view friendships….
……...'Reason, Season or Lifetime.'………

It could be the best thing that ever happened to both of you.
I had a close friend screw me over, and freed me from something toxic I was hanging onto, and allowed me to venture off into much more rewarding endeavors.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 09:27:06 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 23 queries.