ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: History Range outlet to Duplex addapter  (Read 8803 times)

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
Re: History Range outlet to Duplex addapter
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 06:08:20 PM »

Out of curiosity-2 silver screws and 2 brass.  I assume the brass screws are for a switch hot, with the pilot lamp to the switch leg are the silver screws switch or just feed thru?

I just bought it, haven't received it yet, but I will let you know.
Not to Code

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 06:28:50 PM »

Frank,

You need one of these original Edison outlets. I've seen a few a them in old houses quite a few years ago, but not lately.

I have some of those.  For those that don't know,  They were used because the 2 blade outlet that we know had not been invented yet.  Early portable appliances like irons and toasters had a Edison screw plug on them,  The fancy ones allowed the shell (Threads) to be turned without twisting the cord.  The outlet you show would have been available in 3 setups.  Just the outlet.  Open the door, insert your finger,  The setup you show, where the switch usually switched the outlet, and a much rarer plate with a switch, a pilot light and the outlet.

Most of the plates you find on Ebay have the door broken off because people would screw in an adapter, snap off the door, and call it good.   

Now for something truly frightening Think about this competitor to our existing outlets.  Yes,  You open the little doors by sticking your finger in the hole. 

BTW if anyone has a plug for one of these we need to talk.

BBTW these are on Ebay right now  (Not mine)

Not to Code

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 12:22:53 AM »

Now for something truly frightening Think about this competitor to our existing outlets.  Yes,  You open the little doors by sticking your finger in the hole.

Ah, but the plate probably wasn't grounded, so the risk of shock would be minimized to across your finger, if you happened to contact both terminals. Unpleasant, but probably not too likely to cause injury.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 08:26:47 AM »

I have some of those.  For those that don't know,  They were used because the 2 blade outlet that we know had not been invented yet.  Early portable appliances like irons and toasters had a Edison screw plug on them,  The fancy ones allowed the shell (Threads) to be turned without twisting the cord.  The outlet you show would have been available in 3 setups.  Just the outlet.  Open the door, insert your finger,  The setup you show, where the switch usually switched the outlet, and a much rarer plate with a switch, a pilot light and the outlet.

Most of the plates you find on Ebay have the door broken off because people would screw in an adapter, snap off the door, and call it good.   

BTW if anyone has a plug for one of these we need to talk.

BBTW these are on Ebay right now  (Not mine)

OUCH!!! :o
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 01:14:24 PM »

Out of curiosity-2 silver screws and 2 brass.  I assume the brass screws are for a switch hot, with the pilot lamp to the switch leg are the silver screws switch or just feed thru?

Lower Silver  Neutral in
Lower Brass  Hot in
With switch off neutral and hot are disconnected from the bulb, outlet, and the top two screws.

With switch on all the above are connected.  In other words, both the neutral and the hot are switched.  Of course it is possible to wire hot to the lower brass and neutral to the upper silver and thus not switch the hot.  I have a active and a non wired desplay.  This one will go on the non powered with no plate so people can see how it is wired.
Not to Code

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2014, 10:27:34 PM »

While we are on the history lesson, here is a fuse panel I removed from service a few years ago. IIRC, it was mounted in metal box that I transformed into a j-box (might have been wood and I installed j boxes?).  The "board" looks like polished granite though it is man made like concrete.  I imagine feeling around for that blown fuse in the dark would have been interesting.

Thought I was the only one crazy enough to keep "junk" like this around.
Steve Swaffer

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2014, 10:47:32 PM »

Thought I was the only one crazy enough to keep "junk" like this around.

It's a thing of (sniff).... beauty.  :'(

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2014, 01:35:54 AM »

The "board" looks like polished granite though it is man made like concrete.

There are a few natural stones with insulative properties, but I didn't think granite was one. It might depend on the mineral content.

It seems like marble, soapstone, and slate may have been used as substrates for electrical panels, but I'm not real sure. I do know that mica was used as an insulator before Bakelite and other plastics became available.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2014, 01:29:51 AM »

The two pole knife switch is sweet. Use a relay with a 12v coil to run the lights in your shop.  Great conversation piece.

To be Mike S. Safety approved put a diode across the coil to short out any spikes generated from the field collapse. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2014, 08:54:10 AM »

To be Mike S. Safety approved put a diode across the coil to short out any spikes generated from the field collapse.

Yup, that would work. You should also install a resistor (100 ohms?) in series with the diode for the energy to turn into heat. Without that, the relay can actually "hang up" in the on position for a few hundred milliseconds while the current circulates. Really cool looking (if you're into geeky things).

IIRC, a DC relay coil can generate up to 10X the steady state voltage when the field collapses, which implies that 12-volts DC would generate a 120-volt pulse when the switch opens. I've actually felt that pulse a few times, and it's a pretty good "bite".

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2014, 08:54:10 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 25 queries.