ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: "The transformer exploded!"  (Read 13439 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: "The transformer exploded!"
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2014, 05:44:19 PM »

I think you're right. I doubt transformers would contain phencyclidine (PCP), more commonly known as Angel Dust. I suppose the hallucinogenic effects of PCP could cause someone to think a transformer is exploding inside his head.

Yup, oops, darn spelling correkton.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2014, 05:47:07 PM »

Yup, oops, darn spelling correkton.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You better be careful, while they are stealing the copper they will try and snort the transformer.

I have been in building basements that still have PCB transformers in the vault.  All sorts of signage.

My understanding is it was replaced with simple mineral oil.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2014, 06:55:37 PM »

I have been in building basements that still have PCB transformers in the vault.  All sorts of signage.

My understanding is it was replaced with simple mineral oil.

As I understand it, the oil containing PCBs had the advantage of being fire resistant. While mineral oil isn't known to be carcinogenic at incidental levels of exposure, it IS flammable.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2014, 06:09:48 AM »

back in the 80's i was an electrician on a j.c. penny store in jackson missisppi. our company had a 45kva 480/208-120 3 phase transformer out side tied to a 480v service. one of the guys had built a little shed over it to keep the rain out. 2 guys would sit on the little shed and eat their lunch. after lunch we were working and all the power went out. after a few minutes i went outside and there were 2 holes in the front and back covers about 6" in dia iirc. the guts were a tiny mess of molten copper in the bottom. yep that one had copper coils. it blew up , isnt that awful. the foreman went a got another 45kva and no one went near it after that.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2014, 06:09:48 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.