ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Line mixer separate from board in an installed PA system  (Read 1841 times)

Daniel Shatzkes

Line mixer separate from board in an installed PA system
« on: October 28, 2014, 01:55:09 PM »

Hi,
I'm a newbie on this forum. I'm a professional musician, own an audio production company and have been doing studio engineering and live sound engineering for 20 years. Relatively recently I started getting into the business of doing installs for some local schools and houses of worship. Admittedly, there are still some things I need to be more familiar with and I'm not ashamed to ask for advice. I've come across a request which I imagine is probably commonplace, however I personally have never done a job installing it. So please if you have any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

I will be putting together a quote for a school that needs to replace it's incredibly old and jury-rigged sound system in its main auditorium. The room however has multiple uses so the seats are not installed in the floor. They are constantly stacked and moved out of the way. Because of that, the main board will need to also be mobile with a snake going back to the front of the room. That in itself I have no problem with. The administrator that I met with however did mention that he wants to have one installed "plug-and-go box" on a wall that one or two mics can easily be plugged into by the students and immediately be working without them having to pull out the main board and know how to work the entire system. He does not want to have a separate speaker system for this, rather it should interface with the main system. I know that I would probably end up using a line mixer of some sort, but my question is how do I interface this line mixer with the amp(s) that will be feeding the mains? Ideally the main outs of the mixing board will be going into the amp and left that way. But if I send the output of the line mixer into one of the channels on the board then the problem arises when that board needs to be rolled out for productions. The line mixer will have to be pulled out and that is precisely what the school administrator doesn't want. He wants it to be a fixed input that never needs to be messed with.

What is the best way to accomplish this? Is there a unit that maybe can accept the outputs from two different mixers and send them to the same amp simultaneously? Any help or advice in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: Line mixer separate from board in an installed PA system
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 03:19:12 PM »

Read the rules; fix your display name.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 11:35:31 AM »

One possibility: Route the main mixer into one input of the "plug and play" mixer. Route "plug & play" inputs (mic jacks, CD player, whatever) into same mixer. Output of this mixer feeds the amps.

OR: Route "plug & play" mixer AND main mixer into different inputs of a digital signal processor, which feeds the amps.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 12:05:12 PM »

Another possibility, a dsp like a biamp audia...  Use for system dsp, have inputs for main console, also have a couple mix inputs, add a red1 control.  You mic inputs can be limited/etc. Less buttons to screw with. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duane massey

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 12:59:19 AM »

Unless the budget is very small a dsp is your best bet, as Cailen suggested. The Symetrix Jupiter-series is relatively cost-effective and very easy to set up.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 12:59:19 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 24 queries.