ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Need suggestions for powered stage monitors  (Read 19771 times)

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
Re: Need suggestions for powered stage monitors
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2016, 04:56:27 PM »

Ned...

I have the Alto's for their small size.  They'll work for your mid-volume needs, but not for the "TURN IT UP!!!" requirements of mindlessly loud, ear-bleeding rock.  I'd say vocals only for rockish usage but for my acoustic/electric encounters you can add in guitar and keys and such.  Not a drum wedge by any means.

They are very tightly focused and often require an "aiming device" like a chunk of 2x4 to vary the tilt.  I worked out a base-line PEQ/GEQ template for them and can try to send it to you if you'd like.

Dick -

Thanks very much for the advice; I ended up buying one that we used at NY Toy Fair this past week for music amplification. At CES we used a TV sound bar that was anemic at best. The Alto surprised me by the lack of weight (nice) but also the sound. Use was under a table with a cover (so the sound police couldn't see a big SOS) playing a tango song every 1/2 hour. Sound was loud, clear and impressive with speaker gain at 12:00 and the mixer feeding it only at 40%...

Will be using it next weekend as a floor monitor in a crowded bar, but thanks again for this recommendation. At $299, it's a no brainer. Will be getting more!

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2016, 05:56:23 PM »

Yamaha DXR10.
Reasonably priced, loud, great for vocals.
I use these on my small stage and have never had any complaints.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2016, 08:43:49 PM »

I've had both the Altos and some EV ZLX12s on the same stage.  Lead singer likes the woofy sound of the EVs when he talks, the Altos won't do that.  But when the music starts, you can hear the Altos easier.  They have a punchyness in the vocal range that makes it easier to hear the vocals.

Also, the DXR10 is a good choice if you need more level.  The Altos tend to give up around 117-120dB.  The Yamahas will outrun the equivalent sized QSC K's.  I just got a DBR10 for a drum monitor (on top of a DXS12 sub) and it's pretty close to my K10s.

DRS112s would be at the top of the budget (bought from the right place) but are seriously loud.

Push the budget a bit staying passive and I believe SRX712Ms are around.  If you can't hear those, there are other problems.

Michael Thompson

• Factor Audio
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2016, 09:10:44 PM »

Personally, I'm yet to find a 10" that will keep up with a decent volume club/bar band and maintain any sort of headroom (even just vocals).  I have some DSR112 that I've used for a year (now for sale, PM if interested).  They've been great.  If you already have amps for the existing boxes and they are at all capable of driving other boxes of choice, I'd stay passive.  If you're not moving it, it doesn't matter how heavy amps are.  I just don't know of anything in the $400-$600 (new) range that I'd want to play in front of.  What can I say?  Guess I'm spoiled. Maybe you can find some used SRX712m but plan on bi-amping them to really get their full potential.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2016, 11:56:20 PM »

Just bought a 2nd Alto SXM112 this afternoon to have the matched set...

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2016, 08:07:16 AM »

Just bought a 2nd Alto SXM112 this afternoon to have the matched set...

Glad they're working out for you.  As Stephen noted they kill on vocals.  Plus the light weight, small footprint and tight, even pattern from the concentric config makes it very usable.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2016, 10:22:05 AM »

Thanks for all the suggestions. Client decided (wisely) to stick with his existing passive Yamaha's and postpone any further changes until next year.

I agree, wise choice.  If those are Yamaha Club wedges, then even better.  Stupid loud, stupid heavy, and sound okay with some EQ help.  A local venue that I work in has a fleet of Club 15s that have hung in for years while being flogged daily by everything from metal bands to hip-hop.

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2016, 10:32:39 AM »

I use QSC k 10's along side SRX 712's. Never any issues, no complaints from performers. Get loud and sound good enough for monitor duty.

Dave Scarlett

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2016, 08:25:42 PM »

I too have a couple of the Alto SXM112, and everything that other members mention here is correct. Small size, decent build quality (one had a tweeter lead off when received) and good looking.

However I just purchased two of the Turbosound iq10's and just love them, also used them twice as SIS for mains. This little powered speaker has a ton of power and processing that includes some modeling of higher priced speakers, and a decent feedback eliminator, powercon, and come in at $549 a piece. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iQ10

I don't believe anyone would be disappointed in purchasing these.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2016, 12:33:31 AM »

I too have a couple of the Alto SXM112, and everything that other members mention here is correct. Small size, decent build quality (one had a tweeter lead off when received) and good looking.

However I just purchased two of the Turbosound iq10's and just love them, also used them twice as SIS for mains. This little powered speaker has a ton of power and processing that includes some modeling of higher priced speakers, and a decent feedback eliminator, powercon, and come in at $549 a piece. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iQ10

I don't believe anyone would be disappointed in purchasing these.
Mike Pyle suggested the Turbos when I was looking for a Yamaha 10 to put on my DXS12 for a drum monitor set up.  How would you compare them to QSC K10s?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2016, 12:33:31 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.