ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC Touchmix warranty fail ??  (Read 5300 times)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: QSC Touchmix warranty fail ??
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 04:53:41 PM »

Well, if somehow moisture DID get inside the amp module, then that wouldn't be covered under any warranty. That makes sense. But I was certain it hadn't been exposed to any levels of moisture that would be my fault-- so either someone did something without my knowledge, or there's a design flaw with those modules that allows moisture in.

From the strictest interpretation of the warranty, moisture inside wouldn't be covered, so I think they were nice/supportive in going ahead and covering it.

Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 07:19:25 PM »

IME - it would depend on the cause of the corrosion. If it was induced at the factory/vendor and NOT by the user, then yes it should be covered. If someone spilled something on it.. then yeah, with you 100%
The person did not state whether anything was spilled on it.
I'll try to find out.

PS: I do not own it.. trying to help someone out!

When you work on electronics, you will generally get a sense of what the item is supposed to look like. Yes, with some manufacturing processes, it's normal to see a bit of flux and gunk on boards that might look out of place, but if every unit you work on looks like that, then it's not an issue.

When there is unusual corrosion, it's very unlikely that it is something that happened at the factory.  The odds that liquid entered the unit during production, in a very controlled environment, and then was missed at every QA check along the production line is hard to believe.  When sealed for shipping, the box would likely have to be visibly damaged if enough liquid were to get through to cause issue before the end user took ownership of the product.

Once the product is unpackaged and in use, it takes relatively little liquid to cause problem.  A very common issue is moving an item from a very cold environment to a warm humid environment.  The result is a frost buildup on the device which then melts and turns into liquid, which then evaporates and causes corrosion.  So now you have the customer saying they never spilled anything on the unit, but it is damaged due to how it was handled by the end user.

Again, this is extremely unlikely to happen during shipping as most electronics are shipped sealed in plastic as well as shipped with moisture absorbing packets in the box.

Most electronics companies will provide photos of the exact damage that causes the warranty to be voided.  It's surprising how easy it is to determine what exactly was spilled inside of the unit many times.  Coke is different than beer is different than whiskey which is different than water which is different than milk, which is different than baby oil.  Yeah, we've seen a lot inside of the computers we've worked on here. :)
Brian Jojade

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 07:41:28 PM »

It's surprising how easy it is to determine what exactly was spilled inside of the unit many times.  Coke is different than beer is different than whiskey which is different than water which is different than milk, which is different than baby oil.  Yeah, we've seen a lot inside of the computers we've worked on here. :)
Agreed.. I'm not sure the guy (for whom I posted this thread) was being completely open about the whole event. I suggested (on the other forum) that perhaps condensation may have caused it, or someone spilled something on it while he was gone (on a set break), cleaned it up and didn't tell him. idk.
But.. he was mad at QSC for not honoring the warranty - for some reason he thought they should.. and finally quit posting in the topic.

But thanks to all for the feedback! 

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 08:38:21 PM »

I had one of my VRX subs fail a couple of years ago-- opened it up, scorch marks around the XLR ports internally. Sent it back to JBL, and they came back with a similar response-- "liquid got inside the amplifier."

A sealed amplifier.

In some ways a "sealed" piece of electronics gear can be more susceptible than something that is more open and can breathe.  Not sound related, but I replaced an LED spotlight for a customer last fall.  Mounted on top of a pole, wires came out a stem that was pointed down and threaded into a weatherproof box-no way for water to enter-but it had over a pint of water inside-half way up the lense.  An o-ring that was supposed to seal the joint between two castings was pinched-allowing moisture to enter-but once condensed it had no drain. I am not an engineer-but apparently it is easier to draw moisture in than to expel it.  I doubt the oins on the XLR's were "vapor tight."

Not trying to defend Harman-just pointing out a potential Achille's heel that might warrant paying close attention to in humid environments.
Steve Swaffer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 08:38:21 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 25 queries.