ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for plans for dual 18 cab for JBL 2241H drivers  (Read 17117 times)

Mike Holtzinger

Looking for plans for dual 18 cab for JBL 2241H drivers
« on: October 24, 2014, 07:56:10 PM »

I've got 4 2241H drivers and want to build some boxes for them. I know the SR4719 box is the standard and pretty easy to build, but
1) I can't find any complete plans.
2)I'm open to other designs.

I'll be using these for my band and I've built cabinets before. I'm not concerned about the cost/time as I enjoy the process and this is not for profit.
Thanks!

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Re: Looking for plans for dual 18 cab for JBL 2241H drivers
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 11:32:11 PM »

I've got 4 2241H drivers and want to build some boxes for them. I know the SR4719 box is the standard and pretty easy to build, but

I'll be using these for my band and I've built cabinets before. I'm not concerned about the cost/time as I enjoy the process and this is not for profit.
Thanks!

Here are the spec sheet and JBL's recomendations for cabinet sizes.  The spec sheet shows a tuning with a sealed enclosure and one tuned to 30Hz while the published cabinet dimensions recomend a tuning to 30Hz.  Given the recommended internal volume of 10 cu. ft. Per driver building single driver cabinets may be best for ease of movement and configuration.  There are not complete plans here but if you can calculate your internal volume losses for bracing and you do a little study on constructing sub cabs they are not that difficult if you have good woodworking skills.

https://www.jblpro.com/pub/manuals/enclgde.pdf
http://www.jblpro.com/pub/components/2241.pdf

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Mike Holtzinger

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 08:26:47 AM »

Thanks Lee.
 I've decided to go with the big  dual driver box. Can you point me in the direction of some port calculating info for this? I think the single slot type would be the easiest to build.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 10:45:51 AM »

Thanks Lee.
 I've decided to go with the big  dual driver box. Can you point me in the direction of some port calculating info for this? I think the single slot type would be the easiest to build.

My recomendation would be to build to JBL's suggested internal volume from the document that I linked.  To do a dual version you build to twice the volume (not twice all the dimensions) and have an internal wall that se oersted the drivers.  That is what many manufacturers do for dual driver configurations.
Read through the notes at the end of the JBL enclosure page.  They give suggestions for damping material and how it effects cabinet volume.  They also give suggestions for bracing.  They mention port/duct sizing and going with other sizes but maintaining the same port volume. 
Once you start changing the box volume and the loading type you really need to be able to plug in the Thiele Small parametres (included on the JBL driver spec sheet) to calculate cabinet volume and loading needs/effects.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Nick Enright

• Detroit, MI
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 11:01:32 AM »

Thanks!

not exactly the same driver, but very similar, and this was my solution.

(Not saying it will be yours, but it might give you an idea.)
Nick Enright
Owner / Engineer
Lyve Productions
Detroit, MI

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 04:27:39 PM »

Download a copy of WinISD Pro and simulate various box sizes and tunings to see what combo will work best for you. The thing you have to know for reflex subs is the bigger the box and lower the tuning the less power the driver will take before exceeding excursion limits, so you have to decide on what to compromise.. power handling or low end extension.

Building a box is simple enough to do without plans but there are loads of plans available on the web.. just do a search and look for one with the same tuning as your favorite sim.

duane massey

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 11:18:24 PM »

+1 on WinISD. I don't normally build vented boxes but the ones I've built using this program have been well-liked by the clients who requested them.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Mike Holtzinger

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 08:44:51 AM »

I've downloaded WinISD and plugged in the driver. Everything looks OK except the port parameters. When I asked for a rectangular port of 4"x 24" or 4"x 18" etc...it says Vent length "too Short and Vent Mach: .08 (in Green ?). What is Vent Mach? Help is not available.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 08:51:53 AM by Mike Holtzinger. »

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 11:20:41 AM »

What is Vent Mach?
That is port air velocity. Did the software accept all the TS parameters without complaint? If not go back into the database editor for it and erase some of them and let the software fill in those fields.

Richard Turner

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 07:39:54 AM »

I've downloaded WinISD and plugged in the driver. Everything looks OK except the port parameters. When I asked for a rectangular port of 4"x 24" or 4"x 18" etc...it says Vent length "too Short and Vent Mach: .08 (in Green ?). What is Vent Mach? Help is not available.

vent length too short means the vent is shorter than the thickness of the front baffle (plywood)

I forget if it has settings to use multiple triangular corner ports. those make excellent bracing structures
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 07:39:54 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.