ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Why do we need this?  (Read 26958 times)

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: Why do we need this?
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 11:48:30 AM »

A dj section? We dont need dj's hanging around here!

Years ago, when there was quite a bit of debate about how DJs should or should not be allowed to participate, the rule was "anything up to the turntable or other playback device".  The intention was to help with the loudspeaker / amplifier setup.  Why should DJs looking for help in earnest be treated differently from first time weekend warrior having the same questions?

Over the years it got a little lax, and in fact, there have been questions about playback.  I believe in order to make this work, the old rule needs vigorous enforcement, i.e. answer questions up to the playback system, including the DJ mixer.

There are plenty of places they get opinions about CDJ, Traktor, Ableton, or whatever but if it is confined strictly to SR, then we'll help them out if they want to hear the truth.

And yes, hopefully it will keep them out of the other forums.

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 11:56:06 AM »

I agree and disagree... we don't need DJs hanging around the LAB forums. But they show up anyway.  A dedicated forum creates a place to move those DJ posts.

Nobody HAS to read or post in the DJ section if they don't want. If you like DJs and want to educate them, this is a good place to do it. If you don't, just don't read it!

We have a winner!

Don't like it?  Don't visit the forum.  It's _really_ easy.

It's got electrolytes. 

Fernando Lopez

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 01:05:36 PM »

Well, I started out as a DJ but now do a lot more SR than DJing. SInce DJing was my start my 2 best clients are DJs and a distant third is a 3 person group.

Actually I have learned a lot from my DJ client about SR and thanks to him I started with SR.

So I do appreciate that there is a DJ forum now

Thanks

don mcmeckan

• Vancouver Island B.C.
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 03:07:06 PM »

Well, I started out as a DJ but now do a lot more SR than DJing. SInce DJing was my start my 2 best clients are DJs and a distant third is a 3 person group.

Actually I have learned a lot from my DJ client about SR and thanks to him I started with SR.

So I do appreciate that there is a DJ forum now

Thanks

I do quite a bit of work with DJs also, and welcome a place to send  them for some edumacation!

Doug Fowler

• Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 07:15:05 PM »

I do quite a bit of work with DJs also, and welcome a place to send  them for some edumacation!

Thanks Don, that's the idea.

We welcome their participation, but do not wish for it to bleed over into the other forums.  I'm pretty sure we can round up enough expertise here to take care of them.
It's got electrolytes. 

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 10:43:25 PM »

Years ago, when there was quite a bit of debate about how DJs should or should not be allowed to participate, the rule was "anything up to the turntable or other playback device".  The intention was to help with the loudspeaker / amplifier setup.  Why should DJs looking for help in earnest be treated differently from first time weekend warrior having the same questions?

Over the years it got a little lax, and in fact, there have been questions about playback.  I believe in order to make this work, the old rule needs vigorous enforcement, i.e. answer questions up to the playback system, including the DJ mixer.

There are plenty of places they get opinions about CDJ, Traktor, Ableton, or whatever but if it is confined strictly to SR, then we'll help them out if they want to hear the truth.

And yes, hopefully it will keep them out of the other forums.

I think this is a great idea that should work out just fine.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Loren Aguey

• New York City
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 12:06:39 AM »

I think this is a great idea that should work out just fine.

I agree. I never quite understood the venomous anti DJ sentiments some share on here. Most of them are still asking SR related questions. Not to say that I haven't dealt with my share of idiot DJ's, I certainly have. But I'd say that the ratio of useless dipshit noisemaker DJ's to pro DJ's, and everything in between, is roughly the same as it is for musos and fellow sound guys. In my experience anyway.

So the quotes on this new software don't show the previous quotes or what? When I quoted Bob  I meant to get Doug's in there as well.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 02:05:45 AM »

Great idea, hoping to learn a little more about Ableton Live. Very cool program, and I feel I've only scratched the surface (pardon the unintended pun)

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 08:24:56 AM »

I like the concept of a DJ forum, but I'm not sure that it should be part of the "Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals" category in the forum listings.  One could argue the 'live sound' aspect but it's not really 'sound reinforcement'.  DJ applications do not usually include the multiple live mics, stage monitoring, etc. that are major components of typical live sound reinforcement applications.  Of course the same could be said for Pro AV and lighting.  Maybe all three of those could create a separate related but not sound reinforcement category.

Another reason for suggesting this division is that currently the Road Test, Product Reviews and Basement are all part of "Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals" and at least for the Road Test and Product Reviews forums it seems it might be better to have separate, dedicated sections for the DJ/Lighting/Pro AV and the R/E/P categories.

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 07:01:50 PM »

Hey, if your Karma gets too lopsided, like too positive, coming to the DJ forum gives you a chance to even it out...

( are we to enter those characters below for every post? really? holy f'in wow... first time it did not match.... GREAT )

The letters you typed don't match the letters that were shown in the picture.  x 3

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 07:01:50 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.