ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Why do we need this?  (Read 26943 times)

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
Re: Why do we need this?
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2011, 05:49:15 PM »

Cant really see the problem with the DJ forum....

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Why do we need this discusion?
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2011, 06:55:14 PM »

Marjan -

If the existence of a DJ forum here bothers you, just remove it from your membergroup and forget about it.

That is my best advice.

All the best.

-doug

Unfortunately I didn't make the membergroups that granular, although I could. I just don't see the point. Anyone who doesn't want to read them is fre to not read them.

I think this is enough about why we should or shouldn't have a DJ forum. If you have something to post in an applicable topic, please post it. This thread is done.

Mac

Guy Morris

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2011, 08:31:08 AM »

I love this topic! We all talk about the general public in some dispareging way forgetting that we are also the public! Every industry has its 'us and them' ie sound v lampies etc so its not surprising that DJs get the scowl of  disapproval as red lighting numpties! However generalization is a dangerous thing. I'm + 1 on Dave and Craig's comments, having a section for DJ's who have sought out this community for advice means they are already thinking on a higher level technically and that is a good move and it does not mess up the Pro forum for the big guys. I started out in broadcast presentation and then moved into technical with a lot of help and advice from broadcast engineers who gave me the time of day which eventually got me to where I am now owning my own Midas Yamaha and d&b kit BUT I still DJ and why not if you have it use it!

The times I have been lectured too regarding levels/eq by the sound guy on my arrival at a venue where I'm just presenting makes me smile every time because he simply assumes I'm a level devil idiot,I once had to set up our full 30 box line array for some outside sound while another sound company did the band inside the marquee where I had also been asked to DJ the final part of the evening. He had no idea that I was the sound guy for the outside kit and straightaway after being introduced gave me the spiel on levels, his face was a picture when he walked over to our set up later to discover who was sitting behind the desk!

Saying that when I am the 'sound guy' I often find myself falling into the same trap of assuming the same prejudice about the DJ and yes many do live up to their reputation but its good to understand another side to the business. DJ's probably think of sound guys as grumpy unwashed know it alls with attitude.....surely not! DJ are no different to musicians who we try ;) our best to service despite many of them being very ignorant on most matters unless it involves them and their instrument Doh! another generalization.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 08:33:12 AM by Guy Morris »

Christopher Edmonds

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2011, 02:48:28 PM »

Forum is a great idea - and having been a DJ since about 1984 I've encountered a lot of DJs who have no idea what they're doing technically, but I've also encountered a lot of PA rental companies, FOH engineers, and other persons who should know better who were just as daft.

And like Jonathon above, I am also an EE (MS and an ABD PhD) and was an AES and IEEE member before my career shifted full time into the music business, so I would wager I understand many of the technical and scientific issues as well as or better than many of the "SR only" people here.

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2011, 03:35:05 PM »

First of all i dont want to offend anyone. My opinion is just mine and that is it.

Now how do i see this.

If we here talk about wedding DJ's that also provide a gear then ok, i have no problem with that.

But then again the topic is not a DJ gear here. DJ gear is turntables, cd players, laptops and a DJ mixer.

We rarely know shit about that to be honest. Yes we know how to connect it and make it work. Not so much of how to use it. Especially tractor software, serato units and so on.

We provide the sound equipment and that is not a DJ gear.

I dont think it is fair to consider dj equipment like any other backline device.  A cd player will always make the same sound, no matter who presses play, whereas every instrument amp will be tweaked differently, and lets not get started about electric or acoustic instruments.  The data or vinyl material a dj shows up is the foundation of their sound, not a crafted device.

Why shouldnt we know the basic functions of how any of the gear works?  Is it any different  than providing a digital console or analog side rack?  Sure, the performer or mixing person should know what they are using, but ours is a service industry, and what promoter wouldnt be better pleased by a technician that in a pinch knows the right setting to make things work? 

Should technicians be experts in powerpoint?  No, but they should be able to get the damn presentation running if doing corporate work (when no video crew is necessary, and a vidiot happened to help us out configuring software for some intellivox the other week..)

Tracy Garner

« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2011, 05:05:12 PM »

Responding to Marjan - When I DJ, I consider the PA gear as an extension of me just like the rest of the DJ gear. All of it together is just another musical instrument...

Alex Heldt

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2011, 11:50:22 AM »

I see this place as a good thing. Most of my Events are DJ events. But I have cut my teeth on really educating and absorbing whats said on PSW. I am here because I want to learn, and hopefully this will give me a place to go with the sound questions that don't fit into the "big boy" categories but are over the heads of some other forums. I say start a picture thread to see what it is we're dealing with.

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2011, 07:42:33 PM »

lol this still going on lol

Jon Geissinger

« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2011, 03:12:30 PM »

Interesting how this is going on; allot of PA bigots out there.
Sound reenforcement is sound reenforcement.
I have an old style PA to DJ with.  I use lollypop speakers for backfill when I do a decent sized venue.   My lights are not on a bridge truss over my table, they are on 4 'trees' in the corners of the dance area controlled by DMX.
My main speakers are an OLD design, Altec Voice of the Theater A7s with modern drivers.
Granted, it takes allot of work, prep and elbow grease, but the sound is very good.
If I were a pro (doing this for a living instead of an expensive hobby), I'd have some arrays in the front instead my old style A7's.
Proper EQ, speaker placement, timing of speakers, crossovers, etc... are part of the fun.
Just my 2 cents.

Theo White

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2012, 05:27:31 PM »

Last, we started the forum because one of the mods here at PSW told me he has a "vinyl fetish"  I assumed he was talking about records!  hehehehe  ::)

Vinyl rules!

Long live the Technics 1200   8)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2012, 05:27:31 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.