ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Why do we need this?  (Read 26960 times)

John Livings

• Los Angeles, California
Re: Why do we need this?
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2011, 03:47:21 PM »

I think it is a great idea for the DJs to contribute to this Forum.

At the High End, A lot of the same things are happening,
(Minus most of the Drama)

Just my thoughts.

Regards,  John

DaveSlater

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2011, 07:45:14 PM »

Well I've been a DJ since '97 and after building my own rig to power my club night I've been an engineer by default since 2002
I've been registered on the old board since 2004 and a union card touting freelancer since 2007

Am I welcome here or not?

The point is I, like a lot before and after me, found my way here as I was interested in the technical side of the matter because I wanted to improve the sound I delivered to my punters

I recognised that would take knowledge to accomplish and it was knowledge I didn't have

So I ask you, if you wanted to learn about Jewellery would you go to a Carpenter?

No of course you wouldn't and similarly I wouldn't want to take advice on sound from people who haven't got a proven track record which is why I ended up on the LAB where all you pros hang out

What I have trouble with is the vitriol that is spouted towards DJ's when in essence they are just another musician

Whilst they might not physically make the notes mixing to records together in a musical style is a craft that has to be learnt and honed if they are to achieve the seamless flow of music that gets a crowd moving

There are just as many poor guitarists/vocalists/drummers out there who don't know their arse from their elbow when it comes to the technical side yet they never seem to get the daggers drawn so quickly compared to DJ's

It's an attitude that sucks big time if I'm being honest and does nothing for the 'professional' side this board claims to have

François Kevorkian

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2011, 09:16:40 AM »

A dj section? We dont need dj's hanging around here!

Why, such a friendly welcome!

Or were you just joking?

Marjan Milosevic

• MM-acoustics
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2011, 12:13:04 PM »

Most of us, (if not all of us) think of a dj as a person who dont have a clue about the system he uses and keep pushing his small dj mixer up to the maximum level when it becomes paint full to listen to the system.

No mater how many times i tried to explain to a DJ not to do that, they refuse to learn and keep pushing and  pushing.

That is why!

Jonathan Novick

• Alteros, Inc.
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2011, 12:28:02 PM »

Marjan,

I well familiar with the stereotype you speak of. I wouldn't be moderating the gear forums over at DJchat.com for the last seven years if they were all like that. Some really want to understand. Some really care about sound quality. There are enough of them to keep me engaged.

I may be a DJ. However, I am also an EE and an active AES member. I am not the only one either.

BTW, in the last week there were two threads on my board from DJs using Meyer rigs. One was only 16 years old! He already knew about comb filtering due to speaker placement.
When man makes something idiot proof, nature invents a better idiot.
-------------------------------------------------------
Alteros, Inc. - www.alteros.tech

Mark Phillips

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2011, 12:47:19 PM »

Hello François, its an honor to have you here. My 2nd cousin Larry DJ'd with you at the garage, you guys opened my eyes to music. Larry used to sneak me inside and I would watch the chemistry you guys had with the crowd. I extend you a warm welcome here.

François Kevorkian

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2011, 02:27:48 PM »

Most of us, (if not all of us) think of a dj as a person who dont have a clue about the system he uses and keep pushing his small dj mixer up to the maximum level when it becomes paint full to listen to the system. No mater how many times i tried to explain to a DJ not to do that, they refuse to learn and keep pushing and  pushing. That is why!

I fail to see where it would be negative to discuss these issues rationally with some of the people in question, and engage in the same the sort of dialog on here that might be much harder to do while in the middle of a gig.

Come to think of it, I wonder if there might have somehow been a reason why there was a skit in the movie 'Spinal Tap' made about the amp going to 11, or did that get featured in the movie totally by accident?

Might it not be more of a fair thing to say that those who are on stage generally tend to want to push things far more than the person sitting at FOH whose job is not to perform and get the crowd excited, but to keep things sounding clean, complying with sound ordinance levels and not blow too many amps and speakers in the process?

Since you appear to have a great deal of experience, I fail to understand why you would see it as a negative thing to use forums such as this one to help educate those in need of understanding about the fundamentals of what it takes to make a sound system sing. Obviously if they keep getting booked for gigs time and time again, there must be something they do which they in fact have a clue about, and which is worthwhile enough that the promoters are willing to then in turn hire the services of sound reinforcement companies for those shows. Unless you are implying that it's the promoters who are completely insane, or perhaps the audiences themselves for wanting to pay to see them perform.

History is ripe with examples of certain artists gratuitously abusing gear far more than what you describe, like what Hendrix and Pete Townsend did on stage with their guitars and amps, and that becoming the stuff of legends. Just as well, I can think of a number of legendary cases of stage-induced deafness from players who just kept going beyond too loud for so long. What makes them any better then?

There are a lots cheap stereotypes that can be made about anyone in any profession, which is fine if it makes you feel better doing so. Personally, I'd wager that a majority of those who play electric on stage go far too loud, regardless of the style of music or types of performers involved. (not including folk / acapella / classical)

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2011, 07:10:45 AM »

This can be a good things and everyone can potentially benefit.  However, the forum is titled simply "DJ Forum" so I think the concern may be how to keep this forum unique and different from the already existing forums serving the DJ community.

Marjan Milosevic

• MM-acoustics
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2011, 02:58:02 PM »

First of all i dont want to offend anyone. My opinion is just mine and that is it.

Now how do i see this.

If we here talk about wedding DJ's that also provide a gear then ok, i have no problem with that.

But then again the topic is not a DJ gear here. DJ gear is turntables, cd players, laptops and a DJ mixer.

We rarely know shit about that to be honest. Yes we know how to connect it and make it work. Not so much of how to use it. Especially tractor software, serato units and so on.

We provide the sound equipment and that is not a DJ gear.

Yes i have a lot of experience with some of the biggest names. They have no clue about the sound system. They are artists like any other. You name it, singer, guitar player .....

So i dont see a place here for a DJ forum in that context.

No sound system is a DJ sound system.

Can we have a Rock&Roll section too?

Applying the system for the given genre of music does not make it a DJ system.

I hope i make my self clear enough. English is not my native language so sometimes i do have difficulties expressing my self.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2011, 03:28:22 PM »

Marjan -

If the existence of a DJ forum here bothers you, just remove it from your membergroup and forget about it.

That is my best advice.

All the best.

-doug
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2011, 03:28:22 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.