ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: X32 Edit sync to console?  (Read 28488 times)

Alex Rigodanzo

• U.P. of MI "M Go Blue!"
    • Next Myle band
X32 Edit sync to console?
« on: October 22, 2014, 11:50:09 AM »

First question (of many, I'm sure) with the X32 in my possession.  First thing I did was check it has the latest firmware.  Then I connected my laptop via ethernet (Edit shows them connected).  Then did sync PC to Console.  Nothing changed on the console.  I expected all the scribble strips to change to the names/icons/colors I've selected in Edit.  My bus/dca/mute group assignments didn't move to the console.  And the mute groups no longer work in Edit even tho it still shows the correct channels assigned, they don't mute with the mute group button.  Wassup?

FWIW, if I move a fader in Edit, it moves on the console.  That seems to be the only thing working as I was expecting.

One other thing - Edit shows two IP addresses for my laptop.  I don't know why, but the one I used connected to the console so I'm not sure that matters.
I'm not single, I'm in a long-term relationship with Freedom

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
Re: X32 Edit sync to console?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 01:49:17 PM »

First question (of many, I'm sure) with the X32 in my possession.  First thing I did was check it has the latest firmware.  Then I connected my laptop via ethernet (Edit shows them connected).  Then did sync PC to Console.  Nothing changed on the console.  I expected all the scribble strips to change to the names/icons/colors I've selected in Edit.  My bus/dca/mute group assignments didn't move to the console.  And the mute groups no longer work in Edit even tho it still shows the correct channels assigned, they don't mute with the mute group button.  Wassup?

FWIW, if I move a fader in Edit, it moves on the console.  That seems to be the only thing working as I was expecting.

One other thing - Edit shows two IP addresses for my laptop.  I don't know why, but the one I used connected to the console so I'm not sure that matters.
If you're looking to get the state of X32 Edit to the console, you've got to sync the console to the PC.  You simply got it backwards.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Alex Rigodanzo

• Next Myle band
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 04:44:45 PM »

If you're looking to get the state of X32 Edit to the console, you've got to sync the console to the PC.  You simply got it backwards.

Huh... I'll have to try that when I get home.  The dialog box that popped up when I first connected gave the impression that sending the state of Edit to the console, you should sync PC to console - ya know, what's on the PC goes to the console.  I should have guessed there was inverted logic involved  ;)

Thanks!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 05:02:06 PM »

Huh... I'll have to try that when I get home.  The dialog box that popped up when I first connected gave the impression that sending the state of Edit to the console, you should sync PC to console - ya know, what's on the PC goes to the console.  I should have guessed there was inverted logic involved  ;)

Thanks!

No you are syncing the data from the Console to the PC.  It's not inverted the "the" is implied so the dialog box should read sync the PC to the console.  The PC is the sycd'd with the console and the inverse.

It made sense to me, but I am a computer geek.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Alex Rigodanzo

• Next Myle band
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 05:06:04 PM »

It made sense to me, but I am a computer geek.

;D ;D I don't "sync" anything.  I have two tablets, two laptops and my phone and I know I could be syncing all kinds of things between them, but I don't.

Scott Harris

• Subwoofer forum
  • Worcester, MA
    • Running Sound
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 07:46:34 PM »

;D ;D I don't "sync" anything.  I have two tablets, two laptops and my phone and I know I could be syncing all kinds of things between them, but I don't.

No, in the X-edit app when you connect to the mixer you have to select sync the console -> PC or PC -> console.

Alex Rigodanzo

• Next Myle band
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 10:32:06 PM »

There are entirely too many "Scotts" replying to this thread.  But back to the original issue and answer - WRONG!!!! Doing it the opposite way just cost me all the work I had done in Edit. Wiped it clean.  This is why I fucking hate digital!

The dialog box when you connect says "Do you want to transfer current settings?"  The choices are: Console -> PC or PC -> Console.  Well, I wanted to transfer the settings from the PC to the console so I originally clicked PC-> Console.  That did nothing!  Based on the advice above, I tried the other way and now I've lost EVERYTHING!

I thought I had saved it as a preset, but it seems that preset only saved one channel of info and not everything I had done.  I had gone to Library, Save Preset.  I named it and saved it - but it turns out that was only for the selected channel.

Every single piece of computer software I've used in the last 15 years is completely un-intuitive and mostly idiotic.  Written by geeks for geeks with no comprehension about how "normal" people think and expect things to work.  Having to click "Start" to shut down a computer wraps up the entire culture in a nice little bow.

And Edit doesn't even have help files.  Most programs have help files, even if they're of dubious help.  It's trial and error or take a three credit college course to figure out how any  of this stupid shit works! 

And before you think to yourself that I'm the one whose not too bright, I have high school and college transcripts to show that I'm pretty fucking smart!  Way, way smarter than "average".  As in top few percent on every standardized test I've ever taken.  But because I have a real life instead of playing video games, I have to suffer with all this bullshit digital bullshit!!

End of fucking rant for now!!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 10:44:40 PM »

There are entirely too many "Scotts" replying to this thread.  But back to the original issue and answer - WRONG!!!! Doing it the opposite way just cost me all the work I had done in Edit. Wiped it clean.  This is why I fucking hate digital!

The dialog box when you connect says "Do you want to transfer current settings?"  The choices are: Console -> PC or PC -> Console.  Well, I wanted to transfer the settings from the PC to the console so I originally clicked PC-> Console.  That did nothing!  Based on the advice above, I tried the other way and now I've lost EVERYTHING!

I thought I had saved it as a preset, but it seems that preset only saved one channel of info and not everything I had done.  I had gone to Library, Save Preset.  I named it and saved it - but it turns out that was only for the selected channel.

Every single piece of computer software I've used in the last 15 years is completely un-intuitive and mostly idiotic.  Written by geeks for geeks with no comprehension about how "normal" people think and expect things to work.  Having to click "Start" to shut down a computer wraps up the entire culture in a nice little bow.

And Edit doesn't even have help files.  Most programs have help files, even if they're of dubious help.  It's trial and error or take a three credit college course to figure out how any  of this stupid shit works! 

And before you think to yourself that I'm the one whose not too bright, I have high school and college transcripts to show that I'm pretty fucking smart!  Way, way smarter than "average".  As in top few percent on every standardized test I've ever taken.  But because I have a real life instead of playing video games, I have to suffer with all this bullshit digital bullshit!!

End of fucking rant for now!!

Geez that's a lot of F-Bombs for one quote.  I don't care about your resume, I am interested in why you are having so much trouble with something that has not been a struggle point that I have heard discussed in a forum or watching people use my inventory of X-32's. 

The scene button stores all the settings BTW.

How long could you possibly have in setting up a fake show?  Once you get good at it (the carrots at the bottom left of the screen are your friend for fast config, as are cut and paste) you can setup a 16 channel show and four monitor mixes in about 15 minutes and be ready for sound check. 

Doesn't seem like enough work to get you panties all bunched up over.

I see you are in UP of M.  Too bad the UP is like another planet from the rest of the state.  I am only 2 hours from Detroit and would have been more than happy for you to stop by the shop and see just what is tripping you up.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 01:54:35 AM »

If the sync didn't work you might have a firewall issue.

X-edit works just like the console so there is really no need for a real manual. Just read the x32 manual. For some reason the x32 manual is somewhat outdated so check out the m32 manual at the midas site.

Have you checked out the x32 wiki?

Btw, I've seen smart people who can't boil an egg...

Alex Rigodanzo

• Next Myle band
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 11:17:03 AM »

Geez that's a lot of F-Bombs for one quote.  I don't care about your resume, I am interested in why you are having so much trouble with something that has not been a struggle point that I have heard discussed in a forum or watching people use my inventory of X-32's. 

The scene button stores all the settings BTW.

How long could you possibly have in setting up a fake show?  Once you get good at it (the carrots at the bottom left of the screen are your friend for fast config, as are cut and paste) you can setup a 16 channel show and four monitor mixes in about 15 minutes and be ready for sound check. 

Doesn't seem like enough work to get you panties all bunched up over.

I see you are in UP of M.  Too bad the UP is like another planet from the rest of the state.  I am only 2 hours from Detroit and would have been more than happy for you to stop by the shop and see just what is tripping you up.

Can you tell I'm pissed?  I work with computers and tech all day long dealing with the never-ending frustrations that are Microsoft products.  I'm also the front line with unhappy customers when our IT can't seem to keep the simplest things working reliably.

Back on point,  all the time spent including setting up all the channel names/colors/icons (a task much easier with a keyboard than on the console), then mix buses/dca's/matrices, channel eq/processing etc.  Probably had an hour in it - twice because I did it first at work and was unable to transfer those files to my laptop.

Look at the pics below.  I connect, I'm offered the two choices to sync.  I select PC to Console and get the second dialog box - Console parameters will be set to the current X32 Edit settings.  Yes, that's what I want so I click continue.  A box pops up saying "transferring" for about 5 seconds and absolutely nothing changes on the console.

BUT, when I tried it the other direction, it wiped everything off of Edit so I know the console and the PC are communicating.  I redid the channel names/colors/icons and tried again - nothing.  You have no idea the level of aggravation I'm feeling right now.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 11:17:03 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.