ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Automatic notch filters to fight feedback  (Read 36575 times)

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
Re: Automatic notch filters to fight feedback
« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2014, 06:16:45 PM »

Well going down that path, the on/off switch will also stop feedback. :)

The goal would be to notch out the feedback and nothing else.  Using even a single filter from a 31 band EQ is likely a full octave wide or more and even wider if you use two filters.  So yes, sucking out everything from here to there will stop the feedback but it will carve a whole lot more desirable frequencies with it.  .There is a much better way
Don Boomer
Senior applications engineer
RF Venue, Inc.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2014, 07:16:53 PM »

Well going down that path, the on/off switch will also stop feedback. :)

The goal would be to notch out the feedback and nothing else.  Using even a single filter from a 31 band EQ is likely a full octave wide or more and even wider if you use two filters.  So yes, sucking out everything from here to there will stop the feedback but it will carve a whole lot more desirable frequencies with it.  .There is a much better way

Not to quibble but 31 band GEQ are generally 1/3rd octave wide. 31 one octave wide bands would be so wide they would overlap and interact horribly.

Note: One of my long running unresolved rants is about the lack of precise definition and agreement about what exactly is the shape or response of a 1/3 octave wide boost/cut EQ, but it is generally not a full octave wide when frequency centers are spaced that close together. 

Even a one Hz wide notch will also remove some program, unless that cut exactly matches the level build up from the feedback resonance/repeats (not likely).

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2014, 07:32:48 PM »

Not to quibble but 31 band GEQ are generally 1/3rd octave wide. 31 one octave wide bands would be so wide they would overlap and interact horribly.

Note: One of my long running unresolved rants is about the lack of precise definition and agreement about what exactly is the shape or response of a 1/3 octave wide boost/cut EQ, but it is generally not a full octave wide when frequency centers are spaced that close together. 

Even a one Hz wide notch will also remove some program, unless that cut exactly matches the level build up from the feedback resonance/repeats (not likely).

JR

And this brings us full circle, back to Bink's graphic EQ shootout a decade ago.  This is where we got to take a look at filters behaving badly.... particularly adjacent band interactions and how that varied depending on filter topology, even among models from the same manufacturer.

The text is still around on the interwebs, somewhere, but the pictures are long gone.  Too bad, it's worth a new discussion.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2014, 07:50:26 PM »

Also, if you were to play some music through a system with all of the EQ at 0dB then just pull out a single frequency, I doubt that many people would notice.

In fact, at a Peavey training day many years ago, the engineer took out every third frequency and adjusted the gain to compensate and no one in the room could tell the difference but when he moved just one frequency positive, you would have to have had tin ears not to notice.

I'm not sure what point I'm trying to make now as those two sentences seem to contradict my previous posts.  Oh well, I know what I mean... I think!

EDIT:  I think what I really mean is that we can argue about the technicalities all day long, but if it works, that's the end of the argument. Practicality trumps theory every time!

Steve.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 07:54:20 PM by Steve M Smith »

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2014, 10:40:50 PM »

JR ... I'm shocked.  Take a look at the 30 or so units we measured at Bink's last party.  Almost all of them where an octave wide and some very popular ones were even wider.  The 1/3rd octave part is the centers of adjacent filters.
Don Boomer
RF Venue, Inc.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2014, 01:16:51 AM »

One of the things I really like about iPad apps and the PEQ's is you can create a narrow and deep notch and do a quick "search and destroy" of the offending frequency.  An offending instrument mic or monitor send can utilize the PEQ to surgically excise the offending frequency. A good ear should be able to know what octave to start in.

I also am not deluded that the UI representation of the PEQ curve is reality. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Michael {Bink} Knowles

« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2014, 01:43:18 AM »

...you can create a narrow and deep notch and do a quick "search and destroy" of the offending frequency.

One of the reasons I like digital PEQ so much is because I don't have to sweep around to find the right frequency. When I hear something I think can be fixed with a parametric filter then I first go to a spectrograph to see what its frequency is. No more searching for me; it's just a bit of minimal and gentle "destroy".

-Bink

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2014, 09:49:18 AM »

JR ... I'm shocked.  Take a look at the 30 or so units we measured at Bink's last party.  Almost all of them where an octave wide and some very popular ones were even wider.  The 1/3rd octave part is the centers of adjacent filters.

There is disagreement about how to characterize boost/cut bandwidth. Some topologies exhibit apparently different bandwidth for different amounts of boost cut. I stand by my suggestion that full octave wide boost/cuts placed on 1/3rd octave centers will obviously interact.

I suspect some of those did.

JR

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2014, 09:58:10 AM »

One of the reasons I like digital PEQ so much is because I don't have to sweep around to find the right frequency. When I hear something I think can be fixed with a parametric filter then I first go to a spectrograph to see what its frequency is. No more searching for me; it's just a bit of minimal and gentle "destroy".

-Bink

While academic at this point, I designed a monitor console with some sweepable notch filters in the sends. I used a variant on my FLS invention to advise with three "goldilocks" LEDs by the tuning control that showed if the signal was above, below, or in the bandpass of the notch filter.

Back in the day people used the old Mentor that had a 1/3 octave display to help people identify which slider to yank on their non-Peavey GEQ.

Modern digital desks can provide this capability and more... Not only should it identify a peak but pre-tune or snap the EQ to that frequency. While I still think there may be another way to skin that cat.

IEM should also make feedback in monitors less of a problem in the future.

JR 

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2014, 06:02:52 PM »

I stand by my suggestion that full octave wide boost/cuts placed on 1/3rd octave centers will obviously interact.

They are supposed to interact.  How else would you get to a frequency that was not the center? I'm away from my files, but I believe that all combined.

Of course having parametric filters solves that problem doesn't it. :)
Don Boomer
RF Venue, Inc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2014, 06:02:52 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 24 queries.