ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: System on $2500 Budget  (Read 2390 times)

Gary Miller

System on $2500 Budget
« on: October 18, 2014, 02:00:15 PM »

Hi guys,
I am a band mixer who's background has always been in sound. I have some but very little knowledge of lighting(especially DMX) and am looking for some suggestions/direction. I have a small studio in my house that is roughly 12' x 22' which houses a full band setup equipped with a small PA. Sometimes I host karaoke parties here and I thought it might be neat to incorporate some type of small lighting rig into the mix. I am thinking a small truss system on crank stands behind the drums aiming out into the rest of the room. Obviously, I would probably go with a light duty 10' truss span. I wanted to try to maybe get 6 to 8 LED lights across the span with 2 moving lights on either end for a total of 8 to 10 channels. I am concerned about future expandability in case any of my buddies bands need a light system in a pinch or I need to grow the system to take out on the road for any reason. Can all this be done with decent professional gear on a budget of around $2500, if so any recommendations on gear selection? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
G

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: System on $2500 Budget
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 05:07:25 PM »

Depends what you call Decent Professional.  To me, that means Chauvet Pro and Jands M1, which won't fit that dollar amount.

There are some OK but not Pro options, Chauvet 4Bar Tri, tiny console, no movers, that would work in your house. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

duane massey

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 01:23:34 AM »

ADJ has some very reliable fixtures at very reasonable prices. Although I prefer the Elation Showdesigner series for cost-effective controllers, I am somewhat shocked to say that the software package marketed by Stage Ape and Cheaplights is quite useful for the $$$. You should be able to get a decent basic rig for your budget.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Jeff Baumgartner

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 02:02:13 PM »

If you don't mind the learning curve, go Chamsys MagicQ PC and a Enttec DMX dongle. $150 and you have a big boy lighting control for pennies.
If you want LED moving heads, Blizzards Blade RGBW has one heck of an output for a bit over $500 each. They have plenty of other cost effective fixtures and seem to hold up fairly well.
Jeff Baumgartner

Show Technologies Audio Visual

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 02:02:13 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.