ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Caljam74 Mixer for sale  (Read 12557 times)

Jeff Bankston

Caljam74 Mixer for sale
« on: October 18, 2014, 12:18:31 AM »

ebay item number 311118827427. some guy on ebay has it. not me.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Caljam74 Mixer for sale
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 08:33:49 AM »

ebay item number 311118827427. some guy on ebay has it. not me.
One interesting thing is the 0 position of the knobs.  Not at 12 but rather at 6 oclock.

Kustom (yes the rolled and pleated guys) made a couple of "professional" mixers before they went out of business.

I was told there were 7 made-at one time I owned 3 of them and knew who owned a 4th.

It had individual removable channels-a 5 band eq-switchable high and low pass filters-switchable limiters etc.

The really weird thing was the effects.  There was no buss-but rather an individual input/output on each channel.

Things were not so "standard" back in those days.

I would like to have the Tychobrahe mixer-but not at that price--------
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 09:11:00 AM »

One interesting thing is the 0 position of the knobs.  Not at 12 but rather at 6 oclock.
Things were not so "standard" back in those days.
I would like to have the Tychobrahe mixer-but not at that price--------
Ivan,

Until just now looking at Jim Gamble's 1974 Tycobrahe Blue board I had not realized that the latter Yamaha PM1000 copied Jim's "upside down" knob position, following his "standard". Since the latter PM consoles adopted the "normal" 0 dB at the top of the knob position, I had assumed that the odd PM1000 knob layout was a Japanese convention that was left behind when Yamaha mixing consoles reached worldwide acceptance as an industry "standard" desk.

Learn something old every day ;^).

Art

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 11:50:52 AM »

Ivan,

Until just now looking at Jim Gamble's 1974 Tycobrahe Blue board I had not realized that the latter Yamaha PM1000 copied Jim's "upside down" knob position, following his "standard". Since the latter PM consoles adopted the "normal" 0 dB at the top of the knob position, I had assumed that the odd PM1000 knob layout was a Japanese convention that was left behind when Yamaha mixing consoles reached worldwide acceptance as an industry "standard" desk.

Learn something old every day ;^).

Art
Makes you wonder who really did it first-and why?

All the stereo gear-guitar amps (that I have seen) rotate through the top (12 oclock) positon-not through the 6 oclock position.

There is probably a valid reason-I would love to hear it.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jim Turner

• Calgary, Alberta... Canada eh!
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 12:22:30 PM »

The reason as explained to me is that on a "large format" console it is difficult to see where the knob is actually pointing without leaning way over to take a look. Having the upside-down orientation kind of makes ergonomic sense.
smile & wave...

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 01:13:00 PM »

The reason as explained to me is that on a "large format" console it is difficult to see where the knob is actually pointing without leaning way over to take a look. Having the upside-down orientation kind of makes ergonomic sense.
Makes sense to me :)

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Gus Housen

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 08:00:38 PM »

Seems like a ridiculous amount of $.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 08:27:36 PM »

Makes you wonder who really did it first-and why?

All the stereo gear-guitar amps (that I have seen) rotate through the top (12 oclock) positon-not through the 6 oclock position.

I mixed on a harrison desk in a studio in the early 90's that had the upside down knobs. Don't remember the model but it was something big and cool.  It kinda hurt my brain to mix on that thing.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tom Burgess

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 07:59:58 PM »

I, too, had an upside down knob experience in the late 80's on one of the Yamaha consoles.  I finally decided to look away from the knob after I got my fingers on it and pretend everything was right with the world.  The faders on that thing were awesome!  Still, it was such a departure from my trusty Series One Studiomaster that I was happy to not have to mix on one again.
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

duane massey

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 12:09:14 AM »

First console we ever built (early 70's) that had sliders had one "unique" feature: the sliders were wired so that you pulled DOWN to turn it up. We had never actually seen another console with sliders, and honestly didn't know any better. The first band to use it was Osibisa, and their engineer looked a little puzzled but got thru the night OK. He asked afterwards if this was a normal thing in the USA, and that was when we found out the rather embarrassing mistake we had made. I fixed it the next day.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 12:09:14 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 23 queries.