ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 11 Points Every Electrician Should Know  (Read 28090 times)

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
Re: 11 Points Every Electrician Should Know
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 10:18:10 AM »

My brothers and I used to race around in Triumphs back in the 70's (Spitfire, TR4A, GT) so there was a lot of smoke let out during those years. And these cars would perform the smoke test for us randomly. No need to initiate it yourself. Apparently a built-in Lucas feature.   ;D

Yes, Lucas,  the prince of darkness. -F
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 12:19:47 PM »

I had heard that replacement smoke was available, what I have been unable to find is a youtube video showing the correct method for re installing it.

Since Steve has a source, I assume he has successfully done this task a time or two.  I wonder if he would be so kind as to put together a short clip showing the correct method?
Back in the early 80's, a customer of mine let the smoke out of his TR-6 (I think it was a 6)
I'm guessing the re-smokeing took a fairly complex procedure ::), as they gave him a Volvo for 2 weeks !
Mid 80's, I put the smoke back in an MG-B. Every fucking wire on that bloody car was WHITE !
Great way for a 6 hour job to take a week and a half. (melted the harness to the taillights)
Englishmen.......Warm Beer.........Lucas Refrigerators
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 12:45:52 PM »

I had heard that replacement smoke was available, what I have been unable to find is a youtube video showing the correct method for re installing it.

The big questions is, can you use British smoke in American gear, and vise-versa? And is there Japanese smoke available for Yamaha consoles? I've let that out a few times myself by accident...  ???

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 01:58:04 PM »

Since Steve has a source, I assume he has successfully done this task a time or two.  I wonder if he would be so kind as to put together a short clip showing the correct method?

Back when I was running that iron the manual of choice was the Haynes.  No mater how complex the operation was (Step 217 Lower the transmission to the floor)

the last step was always "Reassembly is the reverse of above" so I assume that applies to putting the smoke back in.
Not to Code

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 02:53:41 PM »

the last step was always "Reassembly is the reverse of above" so I assume that applies to putting the smoke back in.

I remember a Peter Egan column in R&T (one of many about his ongoing Jaguar restoration I believe) where he noted that the above statement is akin to saying, "Building a new house is the reverse of blowing it up with dynamite".
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 10:52:36 AM »

Under number 5, IMB obvious but the SGC should be isolated from the ECG until you GBT the NGB or SDS. This often means an IGP in panels OTW back to the NGB or SDS

FTFY.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 10:52:36 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.