ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Stage Power Drops  (Read 17803 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Stage Power Drops
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2014, 10:24:26 PM »

I think he was asking "is there something else LEGALLY/in the electrical code that would make these improper to use?" as opposed to any aesthetic point of view.

I know that, and I was adding a point of levity and from a professional standpoint that aesthetics do matter.

Sent from my To Be Filled By O.E.M. using Tapatalk
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2014, 11:10:40 PM »

Can anyone cite chapter and verse disallowing the knockouts?  I see two potential flags, first language that says "holes shall be adequately closed" the second indicating that boxes used on the floor must be specifically listed for the purpose.  My 2014 code book is in the truck so I can't give references.  It could be OSHA as well?  Curious-always learning!

The potential for knockouts to get knocked out is a problem-but as well I am not comfortable with a standard J-box on the floor/ground-just two easy to get liquids inside.
Steve Swaffer

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2014, 01:13:55 AM »

Can anyone cite chapter and verse disallowing the knockouts?  I see two potential flags, first language that says "holes shall be adequately closed" the second indicating that boxes used on the floor must be specifically listed for the purpose.  My 2014 code book is in the truck so I can't give references.  It could be OSHA as well?  Curious-always learning!

The potential for knockouts to get knocked out is a problem-but as well I am not comfortable with a standard J-box on the floor/ground-just two easy to get liquids inside.

I suspect that the surface wiring boxes are listed for inside, permanent use fastened to a structure. Outside, temporary use or on a cord isn't a listed use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2014, 10:32:07 AM »

I know that, and I was adding a point of levity and from a professional standpoint that aesthetics do matter.

Sent from my To Be Filled By O.E.M. using Tapatalk

Ah, OK, your post wasn't clear that you were making a joke as opposed to seriously answering the question...

And yes, from a professional viewpoint, I agree that aesthetics do matter, but the legalities of the electrical code/moralities of not getting someone killed doesn't often take into consideration something looking pretty or not. :)
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2014, 11:47:45 AM »

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2014, 12:21:57 PM »

They are ugly.  Look like they came out my wood shop in high school circa 1970

Yeah, but these old, ugly, un-safe, POS boxes sure do work well....and didn't cost much.  8)

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2014, 01:41:34 PM »

So out of curiosity would an approved for outdoor use be workable onstage as temporary use? 

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=130902-427-PDB77550GY&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=4005491&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Depends on what you mean by approved.

I would expect that proper strain relief and rubber cord on a box with no extra openings (or potential ones - the box in your link has 6 potential openings, any of which could be poked like a knockout) would only get a glance. If beat up, might get a closer look.

I used ones sorta like that but with only one opening on each side and I trimmed the mounting tabs cleanly.

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Lyle Williams

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2014, 02:53:54 PM »

If you go down the path of selecting a product that is formally approved for outdoor use, you end up with something like this (Australian example):  http://www.powersafe.net.au/shop/the-guardian/

Ie, something IP66 rated that is designed to sit in the rain for days.

That isn't what most of us are after.  People seem to want durable and black, but there seems to be no desire for the features that would make a stage drop exposed to the weather electrically safer than a $5 power strip.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2014, 09:45:50 PM »

Depends on what you mean by approved.

I would expect that proper strain relief and rubber cord on a box with no extra openings (or potential ones - the box in your link has 6 potential openings, any of which could be poked like a knockout) would only get a glance. If beat up, might get a closer look.

I used ones sorta like that but with only one opening on each side and I trimmed the mounting tabs cleanly.

Those extra openings all appear to be threaded - one could add some screw-in plugs - stronger than the knockout portion, and if you were careful to do them all, I'd think that would make any inspector a little less apprehensive about their use (and abuse).
frank

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2014, 12:08:09 AM »

Those extra openings all appear to be threaded - one could add some screw-in plugs - stronger than the knockout portion, and if you were careful to do them all, I'd think that would make any inspector a little less apprehensive about their use (and abuse).
frank

Agreed!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2014, 12:08:09 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.