ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Stage Power Drops  (Read 17797 times)

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
Re: Stage Power Drops
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 02:20:10 PM »

"Ouch" I'm trying.  :'(

Is it just the knock outs that make these a no no, or is there something else too?

Answering that is well above my pay grade.   :-X   
I do know about the knockouts from other discussions here, but beyond that, I'm just like you:
Waiting for the Electrician (or someone like him).

We're all learning, and once things are brought to our attention, it takes time (and money) to correct.  If the wiring is good, and the boxes are in good condition, you may not meet code with the inspector, but they SHOULDN'T cause you any problems, either. (IANAL, nor am I an electrician) YMMV.

frank

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2014, 02:25:31 PM »

Is it just the knock outs that make these a no no, or is there something else too?

The boxes are for indoor permanent wiring only. 

Use outdoor boxes and proper strain relief on the wires. While not actually code compliant, I believe most folk would accept them in a weekend warrior setting.

I have two sets of boxes. One with metal outdoor boxes and one with plastic outdoor boxes. Both have Powercon in and out on them. I just place em on the stage where I want them and hook em up. I do have one box with a GFI outlet in it and it protects the output connector too. I use it for the stage stringer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 03:03:25 PM »

Answering that is well above my pay grade.   :-X   
I do know about the knockouts from other discussions here, but beyond that, I'm just like you:
Waiting for the Electrician (or someone like him).

We're all learning, and once things are brought to our attention, it takes time (and money) to correct.  If the wiring is good, and the boxes are in good condition, you may not meet code with the inspector, but they SHOULDN'T cause you any problems, either. (IANAL, nor am I an electrician) YMMV.

frank

Trying to make my "un-safe" boxes a little more safe until I can get the "safe" boxes I really want.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2014, 03:08:14 PM »

Trying to make my "un-safe" boxes a little more safe until I can get the "safe" boxes I really want.
Which is a good thing! :)

Another issue with the indoor boxes is that you can see they have holes for nailing through-- those holes can allow water inside the box. Or dirt. Or worms. All of that can cause drama.
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2014, 03:09:32 PM »

Use outdoor boxes and proper strain relief on the wires. While not actually code compliant, I believe most folk would accept them in a weekend warrior setting.

I saw just this arrangement used for drops from the ceiling to work benches in a brand spanking new industrial lab. They used regular, cast aluminum "wet locations" boxes, Kellems-style braided strain reliefs, and indoor Nylon covers. It apparently passed inspection in Burlingame, California. --Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2014, 04:43:05 PM »

I saw just this arrangement used for drops from the ceiling to work benches in a brand spanking new industrial lab. They used regular, cast aluminum "wet locations" boxes, Kellems-style braided strain reliefs, and indoor Nylon covers. It apparently passed inspection in Burlingame, California. --Frank

I have used the same and been accepted by inspectors.  With the proper strain relief this things are safer and more durable than an extension cord, IMO.

One thing that can't be seen in the photos-and would be expected/inspected by most inspectors is a bonding jumper to the box from the  EGC. A lot of guys (usually non electricians) let the receptacle ground the box or vice versa.  Really doesn't take much to put a grounding jumper to each receptacle one to the box and tie them all together-remember this is about safety-not convenience.
Steve Swaffer

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2014, 04:51:35 PM »

Yep. Wet location boxes that use threaded holes instead of knock outs pass here as well for portable use. I don't use them but I can see them being useful if I don't have my quad box stage stringers. Use a plastic strain releif that screws on or one of those steel mesh strain reliefs.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 04:53:37 PM by jasonfinnigan »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2014, 06:25:21 PM »

They are ugly.  Look like they came out my wood shop in high school circa 1970

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2014, 06:48:55 PM »

They are ugly.  Look like they came out my wood shop in high school circa 1970
I think he was asking "is there something else LEGALLY/in the electrical code that would make these improper to use?" as opposed to any aesthetic point of view.
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2014, 10:21:50 PM »

The only way to know for sure is to read the minutes of the NFPA 70 committee that adopted that section of code, and that may not even be sufficient; a transcript would give the best insight.

If a knockout gets knocked while the devices are energized, it could come in contact with a terminal screw, causing a small arc flash.

The mounting holes could permit insect, dust, and moisture entry.

On the other hand, most inspectors allow the permanent install of these boxes in exposed locations, so the primary concern probably is the higher likelihood of damage when used temporarily.

Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2014, 10:21:50 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.