ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Stage Power Drops  (Read 17903 times)

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
Re: Stage Power Drops
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 01:02:26 AM »

I have a pile of the OA Windsor boxes and I think they work great.  They are similar to what you have shown here, but they are rubber and the outlets face sideways.  I had them made with a receptacle that lights when power is applied.

I like that it makes all of the stringers customizable per show.  I use powercon cabling for the all of my systems now and have been very pleased with it so far.

Hope that helps Jamin...

Nils

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 03:24:43 AM »

WW also has units with 3 phase inlets, split to individual 120s, with a breaker on each.  And others.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 03:04:54 PM »

I'm looking to upgrade my stage power drops. I've seen these for a while. I can't find any info on Whirlwinds' website. I think they are UL listed. Do you think these would be considered safe for outdoor stage power use? I like that they have GFI's and a pilot light along with Powercons.

http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/power-electrical-distribution/edison-boxes/pl1-420-gfi

Thanks

Jamin, the .pdf brochure on this series of drops shows that the unit is UL listed (from the WW website).  Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 11:44:53 PM »

Jamin, the .pdf brochure on this series of drops shows that the unit is UL listed (from the WW website).  Mark C.

OK, I found it. Just had to do a little digging.

Thanks

George Dougherty

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 12:03:24 AM »

I like the OA Windsor boxes being rubber because I can toss them wherever I want power and have a volunteer string the feeder between them.  Don't know that I'd want to chuck metal boxes around the stage for the stage or the life of the boxes.

The idea of parallel wired GFI lighted outlets sounds really cool.  Wish I'd thought of that when I built everything.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 01:12:06 PM »

I'll have to wait on the Whirlwinds for a while.

This is what I'm currently using. I know they aren't really made for outdoors, but I don't do many outdoor events. Maybe 2 this year. Adding GFIs would make me feel better inside or outdoors.

Would proper wiring method be to change out one outlet to a GFI in each box?

Thanks

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 01:32:07 PM »

This is what I'm currently using. I know they aren't really made for outdoors, but I don't do many outdoor events. Maybe 2 this year. Adding GFIs would make me feel better inside or outdoors.

Thanks

Depends on how you want to manage it. You can add one GFCI to the FIRST box, and wire it so it's output handles the second recept in that box, plus the output tail- then everything downstream is protected. But, if that GFCI trips, it kills the whole string. How I think OA Windsor does it is the wire is one long string (for a stinger setup) and each box clamps onto the appropriate wires. So, if the GFCI in one box trips, it only affects that box. You could wire boxes with the pass through in the same manner. But then each box MUST have a GFCI in it.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 01:50:20 PM »

Depends on how you want to manage it. You can add one GFCI to the FIRST box, and wire it so it's output handles the second recept in that box, plus the output tail- then everything downstream is protected. But, if that GFCI trips, it kills the whole string. How I think OA Windsor does it is the wire is one long string (for a stinger setup) and each box clamps onto the appropriate wires. So, if the GFCI in one box trips, it only affects that box. You could wire boxes with the pass through in the same manner. But then each box MUST have a GFCI in it.

-Ray

I don't always use these in a "stringer" fashion. They get used for various power applications. So I guess I would have to add a GFI to each box.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 01:53:50 PM »

Thanks
One GFIC in each box, with the protected feed through to only the other outlet.  Feed for the next box in the string, that would come from the original incoming wire to the first box.  Each box would then a) have a pilot light and b) trip separately, not affecting the downstream box(es) in case of fault.

And yes, if used in a non-stringer fashion, wire them as above.

Of course, you do know those work boxes you now have are a no-no, (not just for outdoors, but indoors, as well)  - for one reason that those knockouts could be knocked out inadvertently, exposing the wiring within.  But, as you plan to replace them soon, I'll just give you a small slap on the wrist for using them.  ;)   

frank

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 02:04:55 PM »

One GFIC in each box, with the protected feed through to only the other outlet.  Feed for the next box in the string, that would come from the original incoming wire to the first box.  Each box would then a) have a pilot light and b) trip separately, not affecting the downstream box(es) in case of fault.

And yes, if used in a non-stringer fashion, wire them as above.

Of course, you do know those work boxes you now have are a no-no, (not just for outdoors, but indoors, as well)  - for one reason that those knockouts could be knocked out inadvertently, exposing the wiring within.  But, as you plan to replace them soon, I'll just give you a small slap on the wrist for using them.  ;)   

frank

"Ouch" I'm trying.  :'(

Is it just the knock outs that make these a no no, or is there something else too?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 02:04:55 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.