ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PRX625 cutting out - what to do? Help?!!  (Read 2028 times)

Stephen Knight

PRX625 cutting out - what to do? Help?!!
« on: October 25, 2014, 11:09:52 am »

Hi All,

New to forum and no expert on this stuff so please bear with me! :)

I run a Leisure Centre and we have a System in our Sports Hall which is used several hours per day for big Exercise Classes. It is mostly dance music CDs + the Instructor’s Head-Mic. Our system needs to be plenty big/powerful enough for the space as we had something a bit smaller before and the Instructors just burnt it out by cranking things up more than it could handle. The Hall is approx. 25m x 18m and roof is about 8m.

We now have a broken speaker and I'm struggling to decide what's the best thing to do. Our system is 2 x JBL PRX625 flown high approx 2m below the ceiling and positioned either side of a Stage where the Instructors teach from. In the corner are 2 x JBL PRX618XLF Subs.

It sounds great IMO (although sure you guys might not agree!). Or should I say sounded great as now one of the 625s keeps cutting out :( I'm pretty sure we can't be overdoing the levels as it’s running at less than 90db at max when I stand in the middle of the hall with a db meter and I know they can go a lot louder than this. Plus the speaker that's cutting out is doing it within 5 minutes and before the volume is cranked up anyway. I did a bit of google research and it seems that these particular speakers are prone to cutting out. Am I wasting my time thinking about trying to get it fixed?

So what to do??? I'm thinking the best thing to do initially might be to order a single PRX725 to replace the broken 625. From what I’ve read these new models shouldn’t have the cutting-out problem. We obviously need to get the missing channel back sooner rather than later as it sounds a mess at the moment and as I understand it the broken speaker will need to be sent off for repair and could take weeks/months anyway.

What do folks think about just replacing the one speaker? Would it be noticeable having different ones left & right? Money is a factor so prefer not to have to buy 2 right now (although I understand it will be necessary to replace the other at some point..). Or another option could be to downsize to the PRX715 which would make replacing the pair of them more affordable. We have the additional ‘oomph’ from the Subs so I'm guessing it would all still sound good with these instead...? Thoughts?

Happy to consider other Brands too but for now if can advise based on the JBL PRX Range and then can consider alternatives once I have an idea which way to go..

BTW we need to stick to powered speakers as there is no room in the cabinet (built in) for Amps.

Any help/advice much appreciated
Thanks
Stephen

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 12:00:00 pm »

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Elliot Carroll

Re: PRX625 cutting out - what to do? Help?!!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 11:21:37 pm »

Hi All,

I run a Leisure Centre and we have a System in our Sports Hall which is used several hours per day for big Exercise Classes. It is mostly dance music CDs + the Instructor’s Head-Mic. Our system needs to be plenty big/powerful enough for the space as we had something a bit smaller before and the Instructors just burnt it out by cranking things up more than it could handle. The Hall is approx. 25m x 18m and roof is about 8m.

We now have a broken speaker and I'm struggling to decide what's the best thing to do. Our system is 2 x JBL PRX625 flown high approx 2m below the ceiling and positioned either side of a Stage where the Instructors teach from. In the corner are 2 x JBL PRX618XLF Subs.

It sounds great IMO (although sure you guys might not agree!). Or should I say sounded great as now one of the 625s keeps cutting out :( I'm pretty sure we can't be overdoing the levels as it’s running at less than 90db at max when I stand in the middle of the hall with a db meter and I know they can go a lot louder than this. Plus the speaker that's cutting out is doing it within 5 minutes and before the volume is cranked up anyway. I did a bit of google research and it seems that these particular speakers are prone to cutting out. Am I wasting my time thinking about trying to get it fixed?

So what to do??? I'm thinking the best thing to do initially might be to order a single PRX725 to replace the broken 625. From what I’ve read these new models shouldn’t have the cutting-out problem. We obviously need to get the missing channel back sooner rather than later as it sounds a mess at the moment and as I understand it the broken speaker will need to be sent off for repair and could take weeks/months anyway.

What do folks think about just replacing the one speaker? Would it be noticeable having different ones left & right? Money is a factor so prefer not to have to buy 2 right now (although I understand it will be necessary to replace the other at some point..). Or another option could be to downsize to the PRX715 which would make replacing the pair of them more affordable. We have the additional ‘oomph’ from the Subs so I'm guessing it would all still sound good with these instead...? Thoughts?

Happy to consider other Brands too but for now if can advise based on the JBL PRX Range and then can consider alternatives once I have an idea which way to go..

BTW we need to stick to powered speakers as there is no room in the cabinet (built in) for Amps.

Any help/advice much appreciated
Thanks
Stephen

Try replacing the cable first.  Speakers don't usually just "cut-out" for no reason.  Usually a loose connection or bad cable. 
Elliot Carroll
ESC Audio Services
Bend, Oregon

Stephen Knight

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 10:07:54 am »

Try replacing the cable first.  Speakers don't usually just "cut-out" for no reason.  Usually a loose connection or bad cable.

Thanks Elliot,

I had  the chance to properly check it all the other day when the Hall was empty. Tried swapping the cables/channels over and it actually isn't cutting out completely. For some reason the speaker is very quiet when compared with the other channel. The levels are set identically both sides so isn't a source issue. Has the Amp or a Driver blown maybe???...

Thomas Le

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 07:27:17 pm »

"IF" it comes down to replacing cabs, IMO go for a 12". A 15 is when there's no sub, so a 15 with a sub would sound muddy. The sub takes care of the LF so there's your punch, the 12 will take care of the MF and the horn the HF.

JBL PRX is good if you want to keep it consistent. If you want to have a different flavor, have a look at Yamaha DSR/DXR/DBR, EV ETX/ELX, or QSC K/KW. (Order of preference.)

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 09:46:54 pm »

Is there any chance that the "mic/line" button was bumped?  I realize that the speakers are flown, but weird stuff sometimes happens.  Having one at one setting and the other different would make it seem like one wasn't working.  Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 09:46:54 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.