ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: "I want a good deal cause I'm gonna give you lots of gigs"  (Read 6613 times)

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
Re: "I want a good deal cause I'm gonna give you lots of gigs"
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 10:25:21 AM »

"Hi Band, you have a balance on your invoice of $XX.XX. Please pay within 15 days."

Easypeasy.

Good luck collecting

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 11:16:01 AM »

For years we were top billing for our towns concerts and special events. Then came the day we were asked to perform for free with the promise to continue on as one of the towns top billed acts which would have been nice because of the media coverage with the papers and TV. I told the people politely that I would work for free as a favor to the town, but that my band could not, and that travel and rental truck fee's still applied. Haven't been asked to do a job since, and don't care.

I've also run into the "Work for more jobs promise" many times in the past. My answer has always been to ask for the job dates and a 25% retainer, and in all of these years only one venue has come through.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 11:31:22 AM »

I would assume that most of the sound providers, including myself, here in the Lab Lounge are not making a ton of money anyway. Giving a large discount in this situation probably puts a lot of us in a loosing money situation. Rarely do the other so called jobs ever come through.

I have in the past offered a 20% discount, but I marked my standard price up by the same amount first. Sometimes it makes people feel like they are getting a "deal" when you say. "I'll give you 20% off."

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 11:35:16 AM »

How many of you have heard this statement or something similar?

We had a horror show on Saturday night.   We pulled it off fine but golly it was hard work.   We'd quoted on one band but 3 turned up requiring twice the on stage equipment quoted.   For one band we had 8 DI boxes going?   To add insult to injury the band "forgot" to pay the sales tax.

Anyway I have this theory that's proved true in all but one case,  that if someone says that want a special deal because they'll send you lots of work then:
A.  You'll only get one job from them.
B.  The job will be way more involved than specified.

Love to hear other peoples thoughts.

Lee

I would have asked for more money on the spot or refused to do the show and not felt the least bit guilty about leaving.  The band that hired you obviously deliberately withheld that info when you quoted the job. No reason to be concerned about losing their business.

What I have learned from bad experiences is that once you set the price low, the client expects it to remain low. 

I had to say no thanks to a local temple that I did some work really cheap for when I first got started.  They called me on a Tuesday for a sound job that Saturday and wanted a good price. They made the argument that they were going to give me a lot more work (which I still believe 100%) so I needed  to do it cheap, to which I replied, "So you think I should be happy to lose money over and over again working for you?". 

It was a really easy job, just couple of mics and an PC input but I had a 2 day festival the following weekend and really wanted a weekend off so I didn't want to do it and told the guy as much. What really got my goat was that he said to me  "we need to make this happen" before I could even quote him a price. My quote then doubled.  "If you need to make it happen that's how much it will cost you."   "I'll get back with you."  Never heard from them again.

I got over it rather quickly. I think Tim has the right idea. Let the discounts happen on the later jobs, not the earlier ones.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 11:40:10 AM »

For years we were top billing for our towns concerts and special events. Then came the day we were asked to perform for free with the promise to continue on as one of the towns top billed acts which would have been nice because of the media coverage with the papers and TV. I told the people politely that I would work for free as a favor to the town, but that my band could not, and that travel and rental truck fee's still applied. Haven't been asked to do a job since, and don't care.

I've also run into the "Work for more jobs promise" many times in the past. My answer has always been to ask for the job dates and a 25% retainer, and in all of these years only one venue has come through.

This pretty much sums it up.  what I'm willing to do personally is separate from the business bottom line.  If I want to donate to "the cause", I'll do it with a personal check after my business is paid in full at competitive local rates. 

Otherwise I quote Groucho Marx.  "I'd like to help you out.  Which way'd you come in?"
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 11:52:44 AM »

Hey DR

I bet I know who he is... 8)

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2014, 12:14:24 PM »

I thought about this just some weeks ago, and this is what I worked out and offered.

Regular small for us is 5 gigs in reasonably quick succession (around a qtr yr). Full payment for the first 4, the 5th goes discounted to upto 100% (if we see further regular work). Hence offering a maximum of 20% discount.

Cycle repeats.
My RTA is always flat.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 12:17:53 PM »

"Sure thing, we love new accounts like yours!  Here's how it works:  you pay full price for the first 4 gigs, terms 50% up front with the contract and the remainder upon arrival; then you get a 15% discount on gigs 5-19 IF you pre-pay 100%, otherwise it's 10% discount with original terms.  At 20 gigs a year we'll discuss further accommodation."

When you have planned response it takes the amateur bullshit artists right down.  Professionals will require more work, but you spot them the same way:  either a sudden lack of enthusiasm or immediate acceptance of your terms.

Perfect!

I thought about this just some weeks ago, and this is what I worked out and offered.

Regular small for us is 5 gigs in reasonably quick succession (around a qtr yr). Full payment for the first 4, the 5th goes discounted to upto 100% (if we see further regular work). Hence offering a maximum of 20% discount.

Cycle repeats.

Also pretty good!

frank

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 11:17:12 PM »

In my earlier days I would give a good deal for a first gig.

I learned. Now, first is full price. If all goes well (event, band, finance), then I may give a discount on the gear rental for future gigs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2014, 11:23:59 PM »

I will gladly pay on Thursday for. Cheeseburger today....

"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2014, 11:23:59 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.