ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Female nema receptacles powered boxes.  (Read 11911 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Female nema receptacles powered boxes.
« on: October 10, 2014, 12:31:47 PM »

Not sure if this has been discussed before but I think it would be a good idea if manufacturers installed a Nema female receptacle in the back of powered boxes.
It would just make it easier to connect a second box - like a mid from a sub. Less outlets to find and keeps things neat.

I never split the two cabs between different circuits-just the 2 sides if available.
I am surprised this hasn't been done. Or maybe it has and I haven't come across any cabs yet that offer this.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Female nema receptacles powered boxes.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 01:34:47 PM »

Not sure if this has been discussed before but I think it would be a good idea if manufacturers installed a Nema female receptacle in the back of powered boxes.
It would just make it easier to connect a second box - like a mid from a sub. Less outlets to find and keeps things neat.

I never split the two cabs between different circuits-just the 2 sides if available.
I am surprised this hasn't been done. Or maybe it has and I haven't come across any cabs yet that offer this.

Quite common for powered speakers using Powercon to have a loop out connector. I've started seeing some lighting fixtures shipping with the loop out (standard edison plug) which is convenient. One problem with looping though is you never know what idiot is setting them up, and there's always the chance they could pile 17 on one run, and kill things somewhere. =-\
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 01:42:27 PM »

Along with this would not be a true star grounding and could lead to some ground loop issues or questions.   

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 01:48:23 PM »

The issue you run into is that it technically violates electrical code to daisy chain devices.  While it's not unsafe at all, our fire marshal around here freaks out whenever he sees anything that's chained together electrically like that.  No amount of explaining that it's safe convinces him that it's not a problem.
Brian Jojade

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 01:56:44 PM »

Yes Ray….All my light fixtures have them and it does make thing very simple and neat. I just figured it was because LED lights require so much less juice than sound equipment.

It just seems that the idiots out there could do so much more damage given the right conditions with other stuff that anyone could if this was an option.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 01:59:24 PM »

Along with this would not be a true star grounding and could lead to some ground loop issues or questions.
Ground loops are everywhere, and in the vast majority of cases, not a problem.  I highly doubt there's any practical noise difference between a daisy-chained power cord and running a longer cord back somewhere.  There's no such thing as a "true star grounding system" anywhere in pro audio there are always layers of distribution, audio interconnects, and metal things touching other metal things.

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 02:22:08 PM »

The issue you run into is that it technically violates electrical code to daisy chain devices.  While it's not unsafe at all, our fire marshal around here freaks out whenever he sees anything that's chained together electrically like that.  No amount of explaining that it's safe convinces him that it's not a problem.

It's only against code if there is not overcurrent protection.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 02:30:04 PM »

It's only against code if there is not overcurrent protection.

So this would be very doable then???

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 03:13:19 PM »

It just seems that the idiots out there could do so much more damage given the right conditions with other stuff that anyone could if this was an option.

Its not polite to ask a lady her age-but this proves you have not been around very long!  Never underestimate the creativity of an idiot.

Hmmmm-how do we get power to the (fill in the blank) on the other side of the stage....

Powercons are a lot less likely to become an issue!
Steve Swaffer

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 03:52:33 PM »

Its not polite to ask a lady her age-but this proves you have not been around very long!  Never underestimate the creativity of an idiot.

Hmmmm-how do we get power to the (fill in the blank) on the other side of the stage....

Powercons are a lot less likely to become an issue!

Ha ha… I'll accept that Stephen even though its not completely accurate  ;)

You are right of course…..folks will do very stupid things. I just feel that those of us who would use those outputs for that which is intended have to go without. 
I suppose it is similar to the years before Speakon connectors and everyone used 1/4" and before amp binding posts were blocked. I hear it was a particular problem in Europe due to the plug configurations???

(I think I just gave away my age a little)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 03:52:33 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.