ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Female nema receptacles powered boxes.  (Read 11909 times)

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
Re: Female nema receptacles powered boxes.
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2014, 11:55:00 AM »

NAC3PX is the Neutrik part number.  Do you see any safety or other issues we with my plan?

That's the new Powercon TRUE 1.  Note it is not compatible with the "old style" blue and white powercons.  The TRUE 1 is an overall improvement that is rated for more power, and for energized make and break connection. It also has mating male and female connectors, thus not requiring the adapters to interconnect cables and devices.

Unfortunately, the TRUE 1 is slow to be adopted by the industry.  There is a large installed base of the older style, and they work.  There is not an equivalent to the NAC3PX in the old powercon line.  Too bad, as the new in-and-out unit is busbar connected, and should be much more reliable than point-to-point wiring the older wiring would require. 

I still would be quite interested in following your project, however. 

frank

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2014, 03:29:12 PM »

That's the new Powercon TRUE 1.  Note it is not compatible with the "old style" blue and white powercons.  The TRUE 1 is an overall improvement that is rated for more power, and for energized make and break connection. It also has mating male and female connectors, thus not requiring the adapters to interconnect cables and devices.

Unfortunately, the TRUE 1 is slow to be adopted by the industry.  There is a large installed base of the older style, and they work.  There is not an equivalent to the NAC3PX in the old powercon line.  Too bad, as the new in-and-out unit is busbar connected, and should be much more reliable than point-to-point wiring the older wiring would require. 

I still would be quite interested in following your project, however. 

frank

Since I don't have any gear that uses Powercon currently, and I am installing new Middle Atlantic panels in my racks that it would not be a problem for me.  I just hate hacking on the speakers and don't want to reduce the resale value.

I am sure I can do a good job but I will be removing wood.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

frank kayser

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2014, 05:11:37 PM »

Since I don't have any gear that uses Powercon currently, and I am installing new Middle Atlantic panels in my racks that it would not be a problem for me.  I just hate hacking on the speakers and don't want to reduce the resale value.

I am sure I can do a good job but I will be removing wood.

I'm sure you'll do a professional looking job.  Should you want to sell them later, and maintain that "factory look", take the locking IEC sockets, mount them on a thin aluminum plate the same size and hole placement as the Powercon duplex connector.  Personally, I think the Powercon TRUE 1 would be an upgrade, and if done well, should not drop the value of the cabs.

Looking for pics!

frank

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2014, 08:08:33 PM »

I am taking a long weekend off over Halloween, going to do it then.  Booked this weekend and next.

It's funny you mention the whole locking IEC.  This whole search started because I just wanted to add an IEC locking inlet.  Also was looking for locking IEC's with lugs.  So my inability to make anything without a heat shrink hack led me down this path.

I am excited about it also.

Sent from my To Be Filled By O.E.M. using Tapatalk

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

frank kayser

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2014, 10:08:19 PM »

I am taking a long weekend off over Halloween, going to do it then.  Booked this weekend and next.

It's funny you mention the whole locking IEC.  This whole search started because I just wanted to add an IEC locking inlet.  Also was looking for locking IEC's with lugs.  So my inability to make anything without a heat shrink hack led me down this path.

I am excited about it also.

One thing for sure - ANY PowerCON, old or TRUE 1 will be a step up from IEC (locking or not...) Loop through, even better.
The thing is, the locking IEC (as I understand) is proprietary and under patent - thus availability and form are limited.  The cords QSC supplies with their speakers are too short to run from the speaker to even ground level when atop a stand like the Ultimate TS99BL.  And forget it if you want a Siamesed power/signal cable - or want to make up your own. 

I was looking at the TrikTags "Poor Man's Distro" very nicely done http://www.triktags.com/power.htm
with the blue and white connectors, at about the time I saw True 1 paired connector.
An inquiry to them about providing the same type of unit with the True 1 connector was answered in the negative - new circuit board would be needed, the new panel plugs don't lend themselves to being used the same way, and at that point, I was the first to inquire - that large installed base of the still working blue and white connectors.  True 1 has an uphill battle to dethrone its predecessor.

frank

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2014, 01:24:13 PM »

The thing is, the locking IEC (as I understand) is proprietary and under patent - thus availability and form are limited...
Frank,

The locking IEC plug that QSC uses has a tab that locks it in (as I'm sure you know), but there is another version of locking plug that uses friction on the ground prong to hold it in place, and it's fairly universal.

Check out this website for options.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2014, 04:42:29 PM »

... I think it would be a good idea if manufacturers installed a Nema female receptacle in the back of powered boxes...

A few thoughts:
  • Each device with an output receptacle would also need some overcurrent protection to protect the incoming power cord. If the power input is IEC, the protection will need to be limited to about 2A since there are a lot of 18AWG IEC power cords out there. Of course you could ship it with a 14AWG cord, but you cannot predict what cord someone will use.
  • Putting Edison -- or Euro -- or UK -- or Aussie -- or whatever plugs will mean that the manufacturer will need several more product lines. Daisy-chain receptacles would most likely end up being IEC. Then you'd need to buy special IEC extension cords or adapters, adding even more junk to your trunk.
  • Powcon probably would be the best solution, since the ampacity of the cord will to be matched to the plug (I assume). As a licensed product, the cost will likely be more than IEC or Edison. And you still add more junk to your trunk.
  • Adding features adds cost, which either reduces profit or raises prices. Manufacturers are loathe to add features unless they believe it will measurably increase sales sufficient to offset increased costs, and most consumers buy on price first, features second, quality third.
In other words, some manufacturer *might* offer that, but I wouldn't hold out hope. There are a lot of safety and cost issues to overcome.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2014, 05:20:55 PM »

NAC3PX is the Neutrik part number.  Do you see any safety or other issues we with my plan?

Nope. The usual issue with modifying gear.
I only asked because I use the original series as does my EV ZXA5s.
I would like a dual unit like that in the original series. I might then be doing the same mods.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

frank kayser

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2014, 12:34:51 AM »

Frank,

The locking IEC plug that QSC uses has a tab that locks it in (as I'm sure you know), but there is another version of locking plug that uses friction on the ground prong to hold it in place, and it's fairly universal.

Check out this website for options.

Very cool.  Live and learn.  I was only aware of the (QSC) blue w/yellow tab ones.  Thanks, Jordan!

frank
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 12:39:36 AM by frank kayser »

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2014, 05:54:39 AM »

Very cool.  Live and learn.  I was only aware of the (QSC) blue w/yellow tab ones.  Thanks, Jordan!

frank
Locking IEC are very popular on servers.  In data center speak a PDU is a distro.  APC uses them on their PDU's

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2014, 05:54:39 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.