ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Female nema receptacles powered boxes.  (Read 8121 times)

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Re: Female nema receptacles powered boxes.
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 04:16:36 pm »

I suppose it is similar to the years before Speakon connectors and everyone used 1/4"

I'll admit to still using 1/4in for speakers with one of the rigs I use regularly. The Mackie mixer/amp we use as a power amp doesn't have Speakon....

Sent from my Moto X (XT1053) using Tapatalk

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 04:58:37 pm »

So this would be very doable then???

Doable and wise for them to do is two different things. It's asking for voltage drops to the power going into the speakers. Not to mention the STJ going into IEC cables is usually only rated at 10AMPs. Powercon keeps the average joe from using it for just anything, and mainly using it for speaker chaining. I think a edison plug takes more force on the housing of the speaker to plug and unplug so it could be more dangerous that way too (potentially breaking free) whereas a powercon when you pull back the locking tab comes out with relative ease.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2014, 05:04:53 pm »

Doable and wise for them to do is two different things. It's asking for voltage drops to the power going into the speakers. Not to mention the STJ going into IEC cables is usually only rated at 10AMPs. Powercon keeps the average joe from using it for just anything, and mainly using it for speaker chaining. I think a edison plug takes more force on the housing of the speaker to plug and unplug so it could be more dangerous that way too (potentially breaking free) whereas a powercon when you pull back the locking tab comes out with relative ease.

Excuse my ignorance but ….How is it any different from using a 2 or 3 way extension cable for both speakers ??
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 07:53:29 pm »

Excuse my ignorance but ….How is it any different from using a 2 or 3 way extension cable for both speakers ??

I will let you know how it goes but I got some powercon in/out chassis mount and had some plates made, they are out being black oxide coated.   I am going to do all my QSC KW181's to start so I will let you know how it goes.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 08:32:23 pm »

I will let you know how it goes but I got some powercon in/out chassis mount and had some plates made, they are out being black oxide coated.   I am going to do all my QSC KW181's to start so I will let you know how it goes.

Nice…yes please report back-I'd be interested to know how that works out for you Scott...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 08:49:57 pm »

The difference is the speaker manufacturer is not liable for what you do with extension cables.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 08:53:15 pm »

The difference is the speaker manufacturer is not liable for what you do with extension cables.

Ahaaaaa…….

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 09:19:10 am »

I presume you are referring to the new series, not the blue and white ones?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 01:20:31 pm »

I suppose it is similar to the years before Speakon connectors and everyone used 1/4" and before amp binding posts were blocked. I hear it was a particular problem in Europe due to the plug configurations???

I don't recall any particular problems.  The binding posts were scrapped due to EU legislation on the maximum voltage you were allowed to come into contact with (48v I think).

In the early 1990s we had some speakers with 3 pin XLR connectors which I thought was a stupid idea.

Steve.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2014, 02:32:54 am »

I presume you are referring to the new series, not the blue and white ones?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
NAC3PX is the Neutrik part number.  Do you see any safety or other issues we with my plan?
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2014, 02:32:54 am »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.