ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down

Author Topic: 16 channels for drums?  (Read 37191 times)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: 16 channels for drums?
« Reply #100 on: August 02, 2017, 03:05:14 AM »

And I was a Valley Boy before the Valley was popular.

I have no idea what that means in your context, but the rockabilly band I play guitar in is The Lonesome Valley Boys... so I must be one as well!

Steve.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #101 on: August 02, 2017, 03:18:23 AM »

I have no idea what that means in your context, but the rockabilly band I play guitar in is The Lonesome Valley Boys... so I must be one as well!

Steve.
The valley girl song.      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb21lsCQ3EM

Lonesome cowboy Burt song       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is0JEbFRNqI

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #102 on: August 02, 2017, 07:53:40 AM »

Between the rack toms.  It's visible is the last, overhead pic.

Here in Kansas that usually means we get more cows...

Thanks for pointing it out Tim.
haven't seen one is a couple of years..... Must be getting soft.  ::)
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #103 on: August 02, 2017, 11:14:22 PM »

My first thought was "Are they out of their minds?" :). Than I got to typing.

Firstly any WELL RUN festival has to have rules & notices advanced to the bands in contract form. This should include something think like "there will be a total of 8 drum mics available (include list)". Let the whiners show up with what they want but all they get is 8. If they have a problem, they can go home and not get paid (always an option). If a couple more mics are requested in advance, charge the promoter more - make this clear in your own contract. Also you should have at least a basic stage plot & input list from each band in advance so you know (there's no oboe mic? Where's the Tuba going to go? :).

I'd agree that for R&R and most modern music, close mic'd drums are essential but logistics are logistics. End of story. That many mics thrown on a drum kit at the last minute is probably going to sound like kaka (the more mics in proximity, the more chance of phase issues, bad bleed, etc...).

OTOH if it's a festival with national acts, there should be set, advanced info from each band in the form of a contract rider. This would include an early sound check and the time to make a monstrosity like that sound good (saved to a scene in your console). It CAN sound good but only with proper prep time. On the fly......you're really taking your chances.

I've managed many festivals and this is the best way AFIK.

Just my thoughts on it.
I like your logic and way of thinking

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2017, 04:56:49 AM »

« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 01:10:00 PM by Jeff Bankston »

John J.R. Bogle

« Reply #105 on: August 05, 2017, 02:42:25 AM »

A festival should have a board with at least 48 mic inputs. If a festival is only going to supply 8 drum mics who ever made that rule needs to be fired and the bands need to protest. Not all drummers play "beginner size kits".
Spoken like a true gear slut :). Funny thing is, I'm a drummer as well as an audio engineer so I've seen this from both sides. In the end, if your band was offered a decent paying gig but only 8 drum mics were provided, would you refuse to play? My guess is you'd either scale back your kit or share a lot of tom mics.

As has been stated, the turnover time between bands at most festivals is short (15-20 minutes). Can you setup your kit in half of that time (remember the previous drummer has to strike theirs as well)? Unless you're playing high profile gigs where you get plenty of time to setup an sound check, having an overly large kit with everything mic'd just doesn't make sense.
Just my .02 worth

John J.R. Bogle

« Reply #106 on: August 05, 2017, 03:10:17 AM »

15 minute changeovers are pretty standard.  At the community you might have  2 man crew. 8 drums mics would be challenge along wth everything else. If it's local bands I will try to get one of the bands to supply a kit for the  day. If there are no takers I will supply a kit myself at no extra charge to the client because it's to my benefit.   Beats miking a new kit every 45 minutes.
Absolutely correct. Most festival sound is Q&D and the easier you can make the changeover flow & the less extra channels you have to deal with, the more you can concentrate on getting a good mix. K.I.S.S. Good talent will prevail :).

There was a discussion on another board about Neil Pert's huge setup. Obviously this is done with at least 1/2 hour for sound check, the mics placement has already been figured out for that particular tour AND he has a drum tech (or two :)) to keep everything well oiled & tuned. Yes Neil is an awesome drummer without question. OTOH much of that is for show for the uninformed audience. I'm sure Neil could play a 4 piece and put on a show that would knock your socks off but since he's rich and has the luxury..... Might as well. Yes he actually uses all of those drums because he can. Does it add quality to the music as a whole? Yes BUT not in a ratio relative to the number of drums (rapidly diminishing returns).
Just some thoughts.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #107 on: August 05, 2017, 03:56:32 AM »

As has been stated, the turnover time between bands at most festivals is short (15-20 minutes). Can you setup your kit in half of that time (remember the previous drummer has to strike theirs as well)? Unless you're playing high profile gigs where you get plenty of time to setup an sound check, having an overly large kit with everything mic'd just doesn't make sense.
Just my .02 worth
I can set up my kit in 10 minutes. Everything has "memory locks" and is labeled for fast setup. Ditch the hihat,one overhead, and 2 tom mics and 8 will work fine. I would prefer only 2 mics but that doesnt work on a loud kit playing rock n roll. And playing would depend on the pay. I'm 59 so I'm not trying to make it like when I was 18.

John J.R. Bogle

« Reply #108 on: August 06, 2017, 12:04:41 AM »

I can set up my kit in 10 minutes. Everything has "memory locks" and is labeled for fast setup. Ditch the hihat,one overhead, and 2 tom mics and 8 will work fine. I would prefer only 2 mics but that doesnt work on a loud kit playing rock n roll. And playing would depend on the pay. I'm 59 so I'm not trying to make it like when I was 18.
Way to go dude! I've only met a few drummers who can do this but you sound like one of them. Same age here (59). So you don't like to waste time either? Love to work with you some day.
Cheers

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #109 on: August 09, 2017, 07:28:26 AM »

If you were short channels, I'm pretty sure you could "skimp" and only have one kick mic and one snare mic.

I tech'd a local music festival gig this past weekend and the headliner's rider noted 10 mics for the drum kit.
I came prepared but with a 20 minute setup time between acts, the drummer let me use what I had been using for the other acts: kick, 3 toms, & two OH's.  'sounded great.

I told him that I could mic his kit as requested but their set would start late....

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #109 on: August 09, 2017, 07:28:26 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.