ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: testing 70 volt speakers  (Read 4318 times)

David Haulman

• Brunswick;Ga.
testing 70 volt speakers
« on: October 06, 2014, 07:09:57 PM »

This customer got a building with some ceiling mounted speakers in it. They appear to be 70 volt. Can I take a small amp with 70 volt output; hook up the speakers and put a tone thru the amp just to see if they all work? no gonna drive it hard. just wanna check them.Any thoughts?

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: testing 70 volt speakers
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 07:27:59 PM »

Yes.. they may not get very loud but you can confirm they do not have rubs or open VC,

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 07:33:31 PM »

This customer got a building with some ceiling mounted speakers in it. They appear to be 70 volt. Can I take a small amp with 70 volt output; hook up the speakers and put a tone thru the amp just to see if they all work? no gonna drive it hard. just wanna check them.Any thoughts?
You could use a normal amp to do that test.  The level may be lower than what you would normally expect from the amp-due to the higher impedance.

So by your statement-I assume there is no amp in place.

To me the FIRST thing I would do would be to do an impedance SWEEP-NOT a DC resistance reading.

This way you can get an idea of what the total load presented to the amplifier would be-assuming the speakers are all properly tapped.

That is the only way you have to get an idea of what size amp you should use.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

David Haulman

• Brunswick;Ga.
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 04:53:00 PM »

You could use a normal amp to do that test.  The level may be lower than what you would normally expect from the amp-due to the higher impedance.

So by your statement-I assume there is no amp in place.

To me the FIRST thing I would do would be to do an impedance SWEEP-NOT a DC resistance reading.

This way you can get an idea of what the total load presented to the amplifier would be-assuming the speakers are all properly tapped.

That is the only way you have to get an idea of what size amp you should use.
Yeah. I see. No amp at location. I checked a few of them when I had the lift. I think it will work. Thanks for your Help!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 04:53:00 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.