ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: testing 70 volt speakers  (Read 3124 times)

David Haulman

• Brunswick;Ga.
testing 70 volt speakers
« on: October 06, 2014, 07:09:57 pm »

This customer got a building with some ceiling mounted speakers in it. They appear to be 70 volt. Can I take a small amp with 70 volt output; hook up the speakers and put a tone thru the amp just to see if they all work? no gonna drive it hard. just wanna check them.Any thoughts?

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: testing 70 volt speakers
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 07:27:59 pm »

Yes.. they may not get very loud but you can confirm they do not have rubs or open VC,

JR
When in doubt do what's right.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 07:33:31 pm »

This customer got a building with some ceiling mounted speakers in it. They appear to be 70 volt. Can I take a small amp with 70 volt output; hook up the speakers and put a tone thru the amp just to see if they all work? no gonna drive it hard. just wanna check them.Any thoughts?
You could use a normal amp to do that test.  The level may be lower than what you would normally expect from the amp-due to the higher impedance.

So by your statement-I assume there is no amp in place.

To me the FIRST thing I would do would be to do an impedance SWEEP-NOT a DC resistance reading.

This way you can get an idea of what the total load presented to the amplifier would be-assuming the speakers are all properly tapped.

That is the only way you have to get an idea of what size amp you should use.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

David Haulman

• Brunswick;Ga.
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 04:53:00 pm »

You could use a normal amp to do that test.  The level may be lower than what you would normally expect from the amp-due to the higher impedance.

So by your statement-I assume there is no amp in place.

To me the FIRST thing I would do would be to do an impedance SWEEP-NOT a DC resistance reading.

This way you can get an idea of what the total load presented to the amplifier would be-assuming the speakers are all properly tapped.

That is the only way you have to get an idea of what size amp you should use.
Yeah. I see. No amp at location. I checked a few of them when I had the lift. I think it will work. Thanks for your Help!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 04:53:00 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 23 queries.