ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sports Bar audio selector between main PA & TV audio  (Read 4149 times)

Rick Scofield

• SF Bay Area
Sports Bar audio selector between main PA & TV audio
« on: October 06, 2014, 05:25:14 PM »

Helping a sports bar with some finer audio control details.  In the rear of the building he has a main PA that has DirecTV audio playing thru traditional mixer, power amps, and speakers near the stage.  At the front of the building there are two other areas with two separate screens, each with a powered Yamaha speaker above the TV.

Owner would like to have the option to select the audio source for these separate speakers, choosing between the main PA sound (everyone is watching and hearing the same big game), or for two of these separate TVs to be tuned to a different game (each has it's own DirecTV box) and have the audio swithced to that game.

He wants these switches to be located behind the bar, and to include a volume control.

I am imagining a simple A-B switch and Volume knob, one for each TV, with line level audio routed from the main PA mixer into the box, and separate DirecTV audio routed to the box, then line level (XLR) sent to each powered speaker above each TV.

Somethinng like this available off the shelf, or should I just order parts from Markertek and put these together myself?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Sports Bar audio selector between main PA & TV audio
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 09:24:00 PM »

Helping a sports bar with some finer audio control details.  In the rear of the building he has a main PA that has DirecTV audio playing thru traditional mixer, power amps, and speakers near the stage.  At the front of the building there are two other areas with two separate screens, each with a powered Yamaha speaker above the TV.

Owner would like to have the option to select the audio source for these separate speakers, choosing between the main PA sound (everyone is watching and hearing the same big game), or for two of these separate TVs to be tuned to a different game (each has it's own DirecTV box) and have the audio swithced to that game.

He wants these switches to be located behind the bar, and to include a volume control.

I am imagining a simple A-B switch and Volume knob, one for each TV, with line level audio routed from the main PA mixer into the box, and separate DirecTV audio routed to the box, then line level (XLR) sent to each powered speaker above each TV.

Somethinng like this available off the shelf, or should I just order parts from Markertek and put these together myself?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Am I missing something-but would you not want the TV and the audio for it to be on the same channel?

I would think all you need is a volume control for each the separate TVs. 

You said a "powered Yamaha speaker".  So I am assuming a mono input to that speaker.  Is the direct feed stereo?

If so, you need to convert the stereo signal to a summed mono. 

You may need to boost the level to drive the speaker-depending on what input is needed for it.

More details such as drive levels (coming out of the direct box) available, and the drive levels needed (yamaha speaker).

RDL makes a VCA that might work well for this (no signal on the control line-so no loss there).
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Kevin C Burke

• A/V Integrator, and Live Events Professional
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 12:43:25 PM »

I'm a big fan of the RDL RU-ASX4DR, which is a 4 input source selector and VCA in one. The only problem is that you would need 2 remote panels to operate - one for source selection, and one for volume control.

Some more details would definitely be helpful - as some powered speakers have a connection for a volume-control pot.

Rick Scofield

• SF Bay Area
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 02:24:50 PM »

Thanks Ivan and Kevin.  I need to swing by the site and check the existing powered speakers.  They appear to be Yamaha MSR400.  I don't believe these have the option of external pot.

I also need to source a good wall-mount for these (the type that uses the pole-cup on the speaker) as they are currently hung embarassingly incorrect, with "Home Depot chain" and non-rated eye bolts.  I believe I've seen these with an option to tilt down a few degrees, along with using the correct bolts in the top suspension points for added safety.

I am almost certain that the current DirecTV signal is being sent to the main PA mixer on a pair of RCA jacks, then mono signal is being sent to all the various speakers.

There is already balanced mono line level being sent to these two speakers for the main House PA (including the primary DirecTV reciever).

I want to be able to switch the signal going to each of these two Yamahas from the main house audio to the audio coming from the separate TVs.

The switch should be behind the bar (easy enough to route a pair of balanced cables down thru there), and I'm thinking it might be possible to utilize the audio output on the rear of each TV (via a summing device) just to keep it simple for the bar staff.

Rick Scofield

• SF Bay Area
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 03:09:26 PM »

ONe of the TVs in question is a Sharp LC-60LE640U, which has an option for MONO audio.  The only analog output for that audio appears to be on an 1/8" jack.  Not sure what happens what signals appear on that jack when TV is in MONO...

I confirmed that the powered Yamahas are in fact MSR400.

Rick Scofield

• SF Bay Area
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 06:32:49 PM »

A bit of an update: the bar just purchased a Behringer X32 (full-size), so it seems possible to route everything thru the mixer and use a couple bus outs to feed the various "auxillary" speakers.  Now I have to figure out a way to VERY SIMPLY control those bus outs from behind the bar.

An A/B switch and volume knob that can perform the simple tasks via midi or using wired ethernet would be ideal. 

I see Behringer makes a couple selector switches, but they are to control the MA--- model of Behringer power amps.

I'll keep searching......

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 07:11:25 PM »

A bit of an update: the bar just purchased a Behringer X32 (full-size), so it seems possible to route everything thru the mixer and use a couple bus outs to feed the various "auxillary" speakers.  Now I have to figure out a way to VERY SIMPLY control those bus outs from behind the bar.

An A/B switch and volume knob that can perform the simple tasks via midi or using wired ethernet would be ideal. 

I see Behringer makes a couple selector switches, but they are to control the MA--- model of Behringer power amps.

I'll keep searching......
Might be possible to use an Android tablet(Nexus 7?)running TouchOSC with a programmed simple interface to adjust volume and recall scene presets on the x32. Throw in a really simple locked down home screen launcher and connect it to a permanently offline wireless network and it might work well. Might even be worth rooting it, stripping off all other apps, and disabling the navigation buttons.

Sent from my Moto X (XT1053) using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 07:11:25 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.