ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: New Behringer series of digital mixers.  (Read 53431 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: New Behringer series of digital mixers.
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2014, 11:03:02 AM »

I don't doubt your perspective and I enjoy reading your posts.

What I was trying to say is it's bad enough to stigmatize the gear, don't lump all the professionals operating it into a lesser category.

The folks with needs that don't require the brands you named or the budget to supply it still deserve what they do rent to be operated professionally.  Properly communicated that value can allow you to charge a premium over your competitors and elevate you out of the pricing game, I would imagine this works at every level.

Sent from my To Be Filled By O.E.M. using Tapatalk

Scott, that's not what I'm saying.  Please do not mischaracterize my statements.  The choice of console is dictated by either the client's expressly stated desires or our best judgment regarding the needs of the gig and risks of exposure to elements that may damage equipment (and therefore jeopardize tomorrow's gig that requires a Profile or PM5D...

And nowhere did I say that anyone using an X32 is inferior; indeed I own two of them myself and use them.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2014, 12:54:38 PM »

Yeahhhh, I read through the posts and I didn't feel like Tim was disparaging anyone who uses an X32 and can't afford a CL5 or whatever. What he's saying is that when you reach a certain level, consoles (as well as the rest of the rig!) are specified by acceptable brands and models. CL5, PM5D, Profile, SC48-- that's on there both because the techs need consistency from show to show of having the same caliber of console (and sound system) but also because this way they can ensure they're working with a company capable of handling their show. "I need a large format analog desk with 8 VCAs and minimum outboard of 16ch of comps" will weed out (hopefully) the company that will try to offer them an SR24•4. Whereas a good engineer could make that work, if the company skimps on the desk (or hasn't upgraded in years) -- the client is going to wonder what "Else" is being overlooked...

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Scott Bolt

« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2014, 09:57:10 PM »

Considering the new line of digital mixers we are talking about as the subject of this thread, I think that Behringer has hit a home run.

These new mixers will complete the bottom end of the digital mixer line.

In all honesty, the XR18 is a nicer setup than the current reigning champ the DL1608 due to its recallable gains, multi-track recording ability, and presumably X32 vocal efx which to my ear are much nicer than the DL1608.

At the $500.00 XR16, it is again better than the DL806.

As nice as these two entries are, they really are a "me too" product.  Sure, they are a step up from the reigning champ IMHO, but not really revolutionary in comparison.

The XR12 on the other had is simply unmatched in the industry at this time.  At $300.00 you can get X32 level sound and features that far exceed anything anywhere close to this price range (and some that are more expensive).  I can see lots of solo and duo acts getting one of these things.  Shoot.  This would make a decent backup for my X32 Rack in a pinch since my band uses vDrums and I play guitar through a Kemper rack (ie 4 mic preamps would work for me).  I would only have to settle for a single stereo mix in the IEM sends.  Not bad for a $300.00 backup mixer covering an entire 4 piece band.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2014, 10:33:39 PM »

How do you know the XR12 has "X32 level sound"(what ever that means) ?  How long have you been working with the XR12.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2014, 01:34:57 AM »

Ok, I think it I understand.  Tim said:

For most of what we do, the "name... on the side of it" DOES matter.  For the ones that don't, or where the conditions suck, the X32 comes an option

I took that to mean that the X32 was used for gigs the don't matter either sonic quality or generally a worthless endeavor that had to be done for some reason or another.  Rereading the paragraph a few times the "For the ones that don't" refers to clients that don't care what name is on the side, doing a good job is still priority 1.

I do feel there is still some stigma to running the X32.  Might be in my head (my wife says it must be a scary place up there!) so perhaps I picked the wrong windmill to tilt at.

Hopefully I cleared this up and no offense taken.

Sent from my To Be Filled By O.E.M. using Tapatalk
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2014, 08:15:27 AM »

One of the things also to consider as these smaller mixers move out into the real world is the operator and the ease of use.  These are replacing the small mixers used by people in conference rooms, weddings, and such.  The operators will not be sound engineers with years of experience.  Ipad and menus on the screens will be key to how these users are able to work and understand the screens they are looking at. 

Rick Scofield

• SF Bay Area
« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2014, 11:10:18 AM »

One of the things also to consider as these smaller mixers move out into the real world is the operator and the ease of use.  These are replacing the small mixers used by people in conference rooms, weddings, and such.  The operators will not be sound engineers with years of experience.  Ipad and menus on the screens will be key to how these users are able to work and understand the screens they are looking at.

Agreed, I can't imagine attempting to train a bartender how to use an iPad or iTouch to make changes to a house PA during a big game on the Sports Bar TV that's being routed thru any "X-xx" product.  Might be possible for some savvy folks, but who knows what staff will be on hand at any given moment.  Who stole the iPad?!

I'd love to see a simple controller (maybe the BCF thing will do?) that can be placed securely away from spilled beverages, that can be programmed for the basic tasks a super-noob could handle.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2014, 11:45:38 AM »

Agreed, I can't imagine attempting to train a bartender how to use an iPad or iTouch to make changes to a house PA during a big game on the Sports Bar TV that's being routed thru any "X-xx" product.  Might be possible for some savvy folks, but who knows what staff will be on hand at any given moment.  Who stole the iPad?!

I'd love to see a simple controller (maybe the BCF thing will do?) that can be placed securely away from spilled beverages, that can be programmed for the basic tasks a super-noob could handle.

Addressing the product of this topic, if the Behringer XR series supports the OSC protocol like the X32 then an installer could build a very simple application to be used on an iPad/PC/etc that only exposed the needed controls to the end user.

TouchOSC is one example of a really easy to customize UI application.

I agree that a simple hardware controller would be even better for the bar situation.

Edit: PS: And if this market becomes big enough, it wouldn't be difficult to integrate OSC into building automation systems (this may already be available) so that dedicated hardware pieces (like a wall plate switch) could control input selection, etc.  ...just an idea.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 11:49:00 AM by Corey Scogin »

Aram Piligian

« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2014, 12:54:49 PM »

Edit: PS: And if this market becomes big enough, it wouldn't be difficult to integrate OSC into building automation systems (this may already be available) so that dedicated hardware pieces (like a wall plate switch) could control input selection, etc.  ...just an idea.

Easy peasey.  (Though, you'd have to get someone to program it for you :) )

Crestron, for instance, has midi interface cards: http://www.crestron.com/resources/product_and_programming_resources/catalogs_and_brochures/online_catalog/default.asp?cat=3&subcat=46&id=138.  You could easily have a touchpanel on the wall for a bartender to navigate presets for "Sports" "DJ" "Band" and have these as scenes on the board. 

Of course, nothing about this is cheap, and a bar owner would really need a compelling reason to spend the money on it that could be going elsewhere...

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2014, 05:29:11 PM »

Easy peasey.  (Though, you'd have to get someone to program it for you :) )

Crestron, for instance, has midi interface cards: http://www.crestron.com/resources/product_and_programming_resources/catalogs_and_brochures/online_catalog/default.asp?cat=3&subcat=46&id=138.  You could easily have a touchpanel on the wall for a bartender to navigate presets for "Sports" "DJ" "Band" and have these as scenes on the board. 

Of course, nothing about this is cheap, and a bar owner would really need a compelling reason to spend the money on it that could be going elsewhere...

This is exciting stuff.  Example, have a cafeteria/auditorium at a church.  Right now there is a small EV automixer mounted in the podium.  If the kids are doing something in the auditorium I bring a system in.  However during the week the room is rented out and all they have to do is toss a switch and the PA comes on.  Of course nobody sets levels.  The problem is the mixer in the podium.  Lots of times I will pop in on these renters and fix the sound for them but for some odd reason it is uncomfortable for me to stick me head between their legs while they are speaking.  If I could have a volume control exposed for everyone but a control program available for the technically anointed accessible via wife we would have the best of both worlds.   I think the $300 unit is going to show up in all sorts of applications and the midi control will allow traditional amp/mixer controls to be emulated.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2014, 05:29:11 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.