ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: New Behringer series of digital mixers.  (Read 44131 times)

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Re: New Behringer series of digital mixers.
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2014, 01:39:13 am »

Brian hit the nail on the head.  $300 for 12 inputs is a silly cheap.  Behringer doesn't even sell an A/D that cheap.  It's a disposable price point.  Isn't Behringr going to decimate their own low end analog market?

They might hurt their analog market but I imagine that they're seeing the analog market phased out in a few years. Or at least the larger(4+ mic input) sub compact boards.

Seeing these, I'm really interested to see what the next generation x32 will be like.  Another product they could make would be powered versions of these to replace your typical suitcase mixer, but then again with powered speakers being so popular at this level I doubt they're needed.

I've been wanting to save up and buy an x32 Rack for a while.... Seeing these my plans may have changed though. Most of the stuff I'd want the x32 Rack for would be handled by the xr16 pretty easily for less than half the price.

Sent from my Moto X (XT1053) using Tapatalk

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2014, 01:59:46 am »

What would you use it for?  In the grand scheme of things the price of the x32 rack doesn't buy a whole lot of sound or any other music gear.   You are talking about a 16/8 digital mixer for the price of a wireless mic.  Now you are talking about a 12 input device for less than a stage snake.  I have to get my arms around this.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mark McFarlane

• Middle East
    • Arkose Records
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2014, 02:25:38 am »

Brian hit the nail on the head.  $300 for 12 inputs is a silly cheap.  Behringer doesn't even sell an A/D that cheap.  It's a disposable price point.  Isn't Behringr going to decimate their own low end analog market? 

Note that the XR12 is 4 mic preamps, 8 line inputs (2 with high Z). It's basically a digital 1202 inside the snake box, with wifi,... for 'around $300'.

The small analog market may be hurt but I suspect something like the 1202 will still be around 20 years from now.  Most 'anyone' can use it and you don't need your tablet battery charged,...
Mark McFarlane
ARKOSERECORDS
Turn down what's too loud.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2014, 06:04:21 am »

Only in the same way Kodak worried about decimating their business by introducing digital photography.

This new stuff is great, and can be cheap as it's pretty simple engineering.  Look at all the pots and faders that you're eliminating by going to this.  No moving parts - and remember, those scratchy pots and intermittent switches were often the bugbear of the cheaper mixers.

That said, I think the simpler analog market is here for a while.  It has it's place.

Still can't work out if I'd happily lose the physical surface for those smaller jobs.  But the prospect of being able to run a small band, with full EQ/dynamics/FX & enough monitor mixes, without needing to carry a mixer & snake starts to look pretty nifty.  Not to mention not having to negotiate those tricky runs for the snake for weddings/corporates.  And the price...

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2014, 06:47:49 am »

Yes.  Jan mentioned them a few times...all three at the very end of the video.
The price estimates quoted are:
XR18 / X18 - $800
XR16 - $500
XR12 - $300

16 channels for $500 is amazingly inexpensive but why only 8 xlr inputs? I can't wrap my head around the logic behind that for a 16 channel board. Maybe someone who does more than just live bands can explain that to me?  For my uses I'd be forced to go to the XR18 (still a good deal IMO) even though I rarely use more than 12 channels now.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2014, 07:34:28 am »

16 channels for $500 is amazingly inexpensive but why only 8 xlr inputs? I can't wrap my head around the logic behind that for a 16 channel board. Maybe someone who does more than just live bands can explain that to me?  For my uses I'd be forced to go to the XR18 (still a good deal IMO) even though I rarely use more than 12 channels now.

Perhaps because the box itself is on stage and you can go direct with guitar, bass and keys leaving you 8 mic inputs to cover vox and drums.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Chiara

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2014, 10:07:43 am »

Still can't work out if I'd happily lose the physical surface for those smaller jobs.  But the prospect of being able to run a small band, with full EQ/dynamics/FX & enough monitor mixes, without needing to carry a mixer & snake starts to look pretty nifty.  Not to mention not having to negotiate those tricky runs for the snake for weddings/corporates.  And the price...

You get used to it. I have used the X32R all summer for weddings, clubs and even local festivals, and I mix a little more 'actively' than most people I know. Many things are actually faster and easier on the iPad. Plus, once you get used to carrying your meter bridge with you, you realize how much of a time saver or even gig saver when trouble arises. Finding bad connections and cables is much easier with the whole console in your hand. Turns many 2 man jobs into one man jobs. And the time saving is obvious.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2014, 11:24:30 am »

One place I worry about with these is the built in WIFI.
2.4gHz is too crowded in most venues. I doubt it is dual band. I only use 5gHz.
I hope they include reasonable security options. I sure wouldn't want the punters taking over mid show.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2014, 12:10:46 pm »

Like Dick says, it may be that the fact you've effectively got 8 DIs on-stage may make it work for you.

In reality, it's about market segmentation.

Looking at mic pres, the line has 16, 8 and 4, respectively, so all well differentiated from each other.

B will have made savings by reducing the number of mic pres on the XR16 & XR12, but have also made the XR18 deliver enough extra value over the XR16 to justify the extra cost.

And anyway, look at what the XR18 gives you, and you can hardly say it's too pricey!

I think the XR16 will be great for those bands that need minimal PA, say Kick, Snare, OH, Bass, guitars, keys, vox - ample for those kind of budget setups - of which there are plenty.

To do the job *properly*, only the XR18 will do.  But plenty are happier with the simple setup.

As is always the way with these things, we're spoilt for choice.  The XR16 looks like a great option to me - but I get the feeling I'd soon be tempted up to the XR18 "just in case".

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2014, 12:23:57 pm »

The XR18 looks to be the only one with multitrack recording  and  more aux outputs so it justifies the extra  money there too.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2014, 12:23:57 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.