ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yellow Jackets/Cable Ramps  (Read 15602 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Yellow Jackets/Cable Ramps
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2014, 02:56:11 AM »

+1 and a half. It is alarming watching them go down so often regardless of how low profile the ramps are.  On pavement there is no way to win with cables on the ground.  You either let your cables take a beating or you trip people.  Fortunately for most of my street gigs wireless mixing is a very good and acceptable  alternative.

I will add that if you have cables crossing areas used by folks in wheelchairs, you best have ADA compliant ramps... you, the promoter, venue... SOMEONE needs to provide them or you can wind up on the receiving end of a suit you are certain to lose.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2014, 09:26:27 PM »

And I will provide one from my hometown area. 

http://www.discountramps.com/cable-ramps-protectors/c/4250/

I bought a dozen of what I think are these

http://www.discountramps.com/floor-cable-protector/p/DH-CP-4/

from them about two and a half years ago.

My need for ramps is very sporadic, but I figured the price was good and was going to do a show in a parking lot where a dozen would work, and then I'd have them.

They are nicely made, look great, and perform their function well, but they have a chemical/diesel STINK to them that is overpowering even outdoors. I've had them sitting outside in the yard in the direct sun and weather ever since that first show, and have used them a few times in 2.5 years.

Before this last weekend, the last use was indoors in March and the smell was still too much. I had another show outdoors yesterday that needed 6 of them, and after cleaning off insect collections and yard crap, the smell has diminished to where it's barely noticeable for the most part. I can tell it's there, but someone coming up would not necessarily register that there was a smell or where it's coming from.

They are back outside, and I hope they continue to improve. I also hope the seller has gotten the Chinese mfr. to reformulate the product. No, I didn't bitch at the seller or try to send them back. They are heavy and shipping would have been a booger. And I figured the smell would diminish sooner.

TLDR: the price is right, but make sure you can let them air out for a few years before you need to use them at a genteel indoor gig.

I hope other mfr's. don't have this problem.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2014, 09:59:54 PM »

Given that my Checkers GuardDog 5-channel ramps, fully compatible with the thousands of YellowJackets available in my region, and thus perfect for cross rentals-- were just $145 each -- honestly, for $45 more, I wouldn't skimp on ramps.

And as the OP mentioned, they're prime for renting to your fellow companies at $10 each -- 15 rentals, they're paid for, and then it's pure friggin' profit.
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Ted Christensen

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2014, 10:02:25 PM »

I bought a dozen of what I think are these

http://www.discountramps.com/floor-cable-protector/p/DH-CP-4/

from them about two and a half years ago.

My need for ramps is very sporadic, but I figured the price was good and was going to do a show in a parking lot where a dozen would work, and then I'd have them.

So far they have held up very well except a few ramps that have had the plastic come out that hold the top of the ramp in place.

They are nicely made, look great, and perform their function well, but they have a chemical/diesel STINK to them that is overpowering even outdoors. I've had them sitting outside in the yard in the direct sun and weather ever since that first show, and have used them a few times in 2.5 years.

Before this last weekend, the last use was indoors in March and the smell was still too much. I had another show outdoors yesterday that needed 6 of them, and after cleaning off insect collections and yard crap, the smell has diminished to where it's barely noticeable for the most part. I can tell it's there, but someone coming up would not necessarily register that there was a smell or where it's coming from.

They are back outside, and I hope they continue to improve. I also hope the seller has gotten the Chinese mfr. to reformulate the product. No, I didn't bitch at the seller or try to send them back. They are heavy and shipping would have been a booger. And I figured the smell would diminish sooner.

TLDR: the price is right, but make sure you can let them air out for a few years before you need to use them at a genteel indoor gig.

I hope other mfr's. don't have this problem.

Dan I purchased the 2 channel version. They did have a strong chemical stench at first. Within the first few uses it went away. Maybe it was the beer..rain water or foot traffic. That's odd yours had a smell that stuck around so long.
Danley SH46 / Th115 / EV ZX5 / EV QRX212H / QSC HPR / Lab Gruppen / Chauvet / Blizzard / Allen and heath ilive

Lyle Williams

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2014, 12:46:45 AM »

My cheap five channel ones ($45/ea) had a very strong rubber smell.  They just got stored outdoors to fix the problem.  Yes, it did take a long while for the smell to go.

Shawn Keck

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2014, 01:29:28 AM »

Not that any of us would need to but you can literally drive a Bradley Tank over the Yellow Jacket brand ramps...saw one stop right on top a of row! Ramps didn't even flex.

They earned a loyal customer that day.

Wish I could have snapped a pic to send to them but was in a restricted area having signed a NDA and probably would have been shot!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2014, 01:29:28 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 26 queries.