ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Yellow Jackets/Cable Ramps  (Read 15737 times)

jasonfinnigan

Yellow Jackets/Cable Ramps
« on: September 30, 2014, 06:36:29 PM »

So I usually Rent cable ramps. Rental cost for most is $13, but I usually get a cross-rent discount so it's around $7 still adds up when you rent 100-150' most of the time.

But, My question is why do Cable ramps cost so dang much. It's the only thing really in the Live sound world that the cost makes no sense to me. Is it just because it's specialized? I wouldn't think they would cost much to manufacturer at all.

Also does anyone have any opinions on the Non Yellow Jacket ones. OSP makes some as well as I've found these 2 channel ones but never heard of the company.
http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/CTAM-heavy-duty-rubber-cable-protectors.php

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Yellow Jackets/Cable Ramps
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 08:21:50 PM »

So I usually Rent cable ramps. Rental cost for most is $13, but I usually get a cross-rent discount so it's around $7 still adds up when you rent 100-150' most of the time.

But, My question is why do Cable ramps cost so dang much. It's the only thing really in the Live sound world that the cost makes no sense to me. Is it just because it's specialized? I wouldn't think they would cost much to manufacturer at all.

Also does anyone have any opinions on the Non Yellow Jacket ones. OSP makes some as well as I've found these 2 channel ones but never heard of the company.

Well the purchase price is about $150 each. So, when you have 100-150 feet, that's $8K+ worth of stuff going out-- and it's an expense that while it's filed under "safety" and "audience protection," clients often see it as something that it does not make sense to pay good money for.

Someone else on here is going to re-post an anecdote from someone they know where ramps are paid for, time and time over again.

We charge so much cos that helps you make up money from other areas when people beat you up over price. :)

I use my ramps as a deal-getter-- if someone isn't sure about booking, "Hey, have some free ramps!" will usually close the gig.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 08:31:48 PM »

I'm certainty not complain about the rental cost. I'm just curious what makes the purchase price of them so high?

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 08:49:10 PM »

When I first found Checkers, it was before they bought YellowJacket and went dealer-network-only. I had a quote for factory direct ramps, $80ish each. By the time I was ready to buy, they'd done all the above, went dealer network only, and suddenly they were $140ish each. Plus shipping. And $300 (then $600 or more now, I think) to get my logo molded onto the lids. And around the same if I wanted to choose a non-stock lid color.

Sooooo the reason they are so expensive now? Probably cos the dealers are making a markup. Damn you, capitalism.. lol.
Kelcema Audio

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 08:52:52 PM »

And I've not fully paid for mine yet (bought the first run of 25ish in 2012, the other 28 in 2013) but they're getting there-- at $10 each, it only takes 15 rentals to pay them off. I've made contacts with other companies in the area, and got some good cash from cross rentals this summer. Nothing like having a major company deploy ramps at THEIR event... with MY logo on them. :D
Kelcema Audio

Robert Patch

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 09:22:46 PM »

You could probably have them manufactured in China for a couple of bucks a piece if you were willing to buy a container load.  I thought the same thing about gutter filter gutter guards.  People were charging $2-$3 per foot for the material only.  I found I could buy 4' sections for 25 cents each if I wanted a container load (plus freight).

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 09:27:46 PM »

I'm certainty not complain about the rental cost. I'm just curious what makes the purchase price of them so high?

The Peterson System Yellow Jackets were 100% polyurethane.  Not sure if that changed when Checkers bought them.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ted Christensen

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 09:38:16 PM »

they are of a plastic type. Which contain oil. the price of oil is going up ;) just to be blunt.
Danley SH46 / Th115 / EV ZX5 / EV QRX212H / QSC HPR / Lab Gruppen / Chauvet / Blizzard / Allen and heath ilive

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 10:15:14 PM »

The Peterson System Yellow Jackets were 100% polyurethane.  Not sure if that changed when Checkers bought them.

I have exactly three Peterson YellowJackets. (I think I bought from someone on here, actually, like 3 years ago.) They are certainly heavier then the Checkers GuardDogs.
Kelcema Audio

Alex Rigodanzo

• U.P. of MI "M Go Blue!"
    • Next Myle band
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 10:21:27 PM »

they are of a plastic type. Which contain oil. the price of oil is going up ;) just to be blunt.

PVC is a petrochemical too and it's still cheap.  Slice pipe in thirds (lengthwise) and it makes great cable covers.
I'm not single, I'm in a long-term relationship with Freedom

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 10:21:27 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.