ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Minimum PA/Room noise floor level requirments for a technical rider  (Read 8758 times)

Todd Macdonald

Hello everyone,

I'm going to be touring with a performer that uses lots of silence and sings and plays very softly. Her audiences are respectful but often times PA systems, air conditioning units, bar tending equipment and other devices cause a noticeable distraction during her performances.

Does anyone have any experience with including minimum PA/Room noise floor level requirments for a technical rider?
What are reasonable requests?  I'm trying to write something clear enough for the promoters in each city to understand that its important to double check as well as technically clear so rental companies and venues can be prepared.

Sincerely,
:)
Todd Macdonald

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: Minimum PA/Room noise floor level requirments for a technical rider
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 04:31:57 PM »

Read the rules, fix your display name.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 08:10:58 PM »

Hello everyone,

I'm going to be touring with a performer that uses lots of silence and sings and plays very softly. Her audiences are respectful but often times PA systems, air conditioning units, bar tending equipment and other devices cause a noticeable distraction during her performances.

Does anyone have any experience with including minimum PA/Room noise floor level requirments for a technical rider?
What are reasonable requests?  I'm trying to write something clear enough for the promoters in each city to understand that its important to double check as well as technically clear so rental companies and venues can be prepared.

Sincerely,
:)
Todd Macdonald
Not to be rude- but I highly doubt any venue is going to spend LARGE amounts of money to redo the HVAC system to your liking.

I suggest you only choose places to play that meet your requirements.

BTW-what ARE your requirements NC or RC wise?

How do you plan on keeping the audience quiet and not order drinks etc during the performance?
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 08:20:51 PM »

I agree.

You cannot expect a one-time exception or alteration of any business practices or operating procedures/equipment due to artist sensitivities.

The one possible exception would be to request people not order espresso drinks during the performance...I hate those machines.

Otherwise it's up to the performer working in non-concert venues to be able to project to the audience and "own the room".   Street performers learn this early on.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim Tyler

• Richmond, Va USA
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 08:25:41 PM »

A venue such as the Birchmere, in Wash. DC, sounds like a candidate with the required rules already in place, but as Ivan says, too many changes from an establishment's norm could be problematic... 

-Tim T

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 11:47:58 PM »

From time to time a venue I work at has an artist that not only requires the HVAC be off during the performance, but even the fans in the dimmer room have to be off, even if that means no stage light dimming. He doesn't play there too often, but is a Name You Probably Know in "new age" music. Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 11:39:30 AM »

From time to time a venue I work at has an artist that not only requires the HVAC be off during the performance, but even the fans in the dimmer room have to be off, even if that means no stage light dimming. He doesn't play there too often, but is a Name You Probably Know in "new age" music. Mark C.

Are we bringing "Burning Man" indoors?

Open field/clear skies are wonderful, but turnstiles are turnstiles, etc, etc.

You are asking for commerce w/o the "commerciality", I believe.

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 11:58:44 AM »

Open field/clear skies are wonderful, but turnstiles are turnstiles, etc, etc.

You are asking for commerce w/o the "commerciality", I believe.

Yup, some people just aren't meant to be live performers and cannot make that difficult jump from "musician" to "entertainer".
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 12:01:47 PM »

I had a quirky, well-known folkie for an intimate concert.  When the promoter brought him to the hall for sound check, he wouldn't come near anyone without asking, "Do you have cats?  I'm allergic to cats!"  When he found out I had some at home, pretty much refused to be on stage unless I stayed behind the board, even insisting that I move FOH from the optimum position to the back corner of the room.

He gave his concert without much further fuss.  I thought it strange that he had no adverse reaction to sitting in the middle of the oriental carpet I had placed on stage as I had brought it from my living room...where the four of my cats loved to roll and play on it.

Two one-hour sets on a cat carpet and no allergic reaction...but he wouldn't shake anyone's hand.

CATS!!!
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 12:10:45 PM »

I thought it strange that he had no adverse reaction to sitting in the middle of the oriental carpet I had placed on stage as I had brought it from my living room...where the four of my cats loved to roll and play on it.

Two one-hour sets on a cat carpet and no allergic reaction...but he wouldn't shake anyone's hand.

CATS!!!

Some people just "need" a cause......
Personally, I bet I wash my hands more often than you de-cat the cat carpet.....
I do understand the allergy. My wife is allergic to cat/dog saliva. Fur, no problem. Lick her hand, and in 10 minutes she starts to puff up.
THAT is an allergic reaction.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 12:10:45 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 23 queries.