ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Need 10 MOhm input impedance before RF beltpack  (Read 16003 times)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: Need 10 MOhm input impedance before RF beltpack
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 02:44:07 AM »

That is a very common JFET source follower.

I know.  I just didn't want to take credit for the drawing.

Back in the '80s I made a balanced DI using two low noise JFETs that I built into a mic cable (the parts fit inside the XLR shell... I called it a DIC (DI-cord).

I have been thinking about doing that (I'm sure we discussed it in a previous thread). My standard DI circuit just uses a normal transistor in a phase splitter configuration,  Sometimes I add the JFET buffer as already mentioned.  The single transistor circuit will easily fit in an XLR shell.

http://stevesmithphoto.webs.com/DI.jpg

Steve.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 03:37:42 AM by Steve M Smith »

Peter Morris

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 02:56:51 AM »

Hi everybody,

I'm facing a challenge. Basically I need to mount a Countryman DI (Type 10) to a guitar strap.

We're currently experimenting with Yamahiko elements for Spanish guitars (nylon strings). According to the manufacturer, the combination of the self capacitance of the element and the input impedance of DI or beltpack act like an HPF. The corner frequency is determined by the input impedance.

The Countryman DI's are recommended by the manufacturer given their high input impedance (10 MOhm) and they work fabulous for our application. BUT we need to go wireless.

The input impedance of our AKG PT-4000 beltpacks is 200 kOhm and results, as was to be expected, in way to much LF loss.

The passive Radial Dragster doesn't offer an improvement. Another wireless system (with higher input impedance e.g. Shure 1 MOhm), given our other channels, is not preferred.

So now we're thinking of mounting the Countryman DI's to the guitar straps. Evidently we want to keep the weight down as much as possible, is it wise to attempt to strip the Countryman DI's from all non-essential parts and replace the housing for plastic or should we build something from scratch?

In case of the latter who could/is willing to help me with such an "elementary" design or knows of a better solution?

Sincerely,

Merlijn

Edit: The attached screenshot mentions a piano element but the guitar element's electrical properties are identical

http://leonaudio.com.au/active.htm
FWIW here is one my friend manufactures - 33 meg input impedance ... there is some interesting info on his site

Merlijn van Veen

• www.merlijnvanveen.nl
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 11:09:36 AM »

http://leonaudio.com.au/active.htm
FWIW here is one my friend manufactures - 33 meg input impedance ... there is some interesting info on his site

Thanks for the tip Peter. But if I'm not mistaken the unit only runs on phantom power and not a 9V battery?

While trying to obtain the input circuitry of our AKG PT-4000 beltpacks to also pursuit John's suggestion of modifying the beltpack.

Does anyone have experience with either the "Pick-up the World" line driver (JFET) or Schatten Design Mini Pre? The former looks like a very good form factor. Worth the extra buck?

Regards,

Merlijn

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 11:22:36 AM »

I know.  I just didn't want to take credit for the drawing.

I have been thinking about doing that (I'm sure we discussed it in a previous thread). My standard DI circuit just uses a normal transistor in a phase splitter configuration,  Sometimes I add the JFET buffer as already mentioned.  The single transistor circuit will easily fit in an XLR shell.

http://stevesmithphoto.webs.com/DI.jpg

Steve.
Well keep in mind a DI needs to step down the signal and present a balanced output (balanced impedance) to the mic preamp.

Imagine two of your JFET buffers receiving + and - inputs cap coupled and biased up to maybe 1/3 of phantom voltage. A modest resistance between the two JFET sources creates a differential current in the two drains in response to differential signal voltage across the two gates. A smaller resistance say a few hundred ohms connected between the two drains, pads down the output signal before the high gain mic preamps and presents the mic input with a balanced low source impedance.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Steve M Smith

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2014, 03:34:44 PM »

Can you do a quick sketch of your circuit for me?

Are you putting the input to one FET and grounding the input to the other and giving them a common source resistor?

Steve.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 03:37:54 PM by Steve M Smith »

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2014, 04:29:59 PM »

Can you do a quick sketch of your circuit for me?

Are you putting the input to one FET and grounding the input to the other and giving them a common source resistor?

Steve.
You guys are so needy I should be charging at least $100/hour for this.

The resistor values are just off the top of my head, and you can optimize the several moving parts for different factors.  Use some low noise N channel JFETs, you could probably use film input caps but they may be too big to fit inside a jack barrel.

Enjoy

JR
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 04:34:17 PM by John Roberts {JR} »
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Steve M Smith

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2014, 04:40:13 PM »

Thanks.  I will try that.

Steve.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014, 06:31:56 PM »

Merlijn,

Try contacting Karl Winkler at Lectrosonics.  He may have a more elegant solution for you, or could at least give you some more insight (not that you haven't had beneficial insight already).

He may also be familiar with the pickup you're trying to implement.

The MI33ARA cable/circuit might be of interest to you.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 06:36:12 PM by Jordan Wolf »
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Merlijn van Veen

• www.merlijnvanveen.nl
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 11:37:56 AM »

Hi everybody,

After careful consideration we went with John Roberts' recommendation and successfully modified the beltpacks without a noticeable increase in Johnson noise. AKG was very collaborative with providing us the electronic schematics which we passed on to John. John told us which SMD resistor to replace and we ended up swapping a single 200k resistor for an 3M resistor. Now the beltpacks in combination with the Hi-Z Yamahiko guitar elements provide a flat frequency response all the way down to 80 Hz.

I'd like to thank the people at AKG and John Roberts in particular for the help!

Regards,

Merlijn

Merlijn

Steve M Smith

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2014, 12:46:42 PM »

Excellent.  That sounds like a very simple modification.

Steve.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2014, 12:46:42 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.