ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I have 35v to ground ?  (Read 12697 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Re: How can I have 35v to ground ?
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2014, 11:05:16 PM »

Is it not standard practice to have a GFCI on the whole system?

Steve.

No.  Only bathrooms, garages, outdoor, unfinished basements, kitchen countertops and now dishwashers and within 6 feet of a wash basin or shower must be GFCI in new construction.  Most everything else must be AFCI (arc fault)(in residential).  Heading OT-but I didn't want anyone assuming that GFCIs were on every circuit by any means.  In any home built before 2014 codes even everything on this list won't be included.
Steve Swaffer

Peter Morris

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2014, 11:11:38 PM »

I thought that Chinese flight attendant death was old news...any date on that CNN report? Woman killed in a bathtub by a knock off I-PHONE battery charger that clearly was not safe.

It was such a big deal for the brand image that Apple gave customers new Apple battery chargers for any old apple or non-apple chargers they brought to stores. 

JR

PS: My house is not remotely to code but I added GFCI to the one outlet in my bathroom and the one by my kitchen sink. I have one GFCI left over, I may put in my laundry room (or use it to replace one of the first two when they fail).

The problem with some of the knock off charges is that they lack a barrier or separation of the high voltage side to the low voltage side as required by most standards around the world. Faults inside the charger involving the supply voltage can then easily end up being transferred to phone.

http://www.wantinews.com/news-5019623-How-220V-through-the-body-structure-Secret-phone-charger.html

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2014, 11:58:44 PM »

The problem with some of the knock off charges is that they lack a barrier or separation of the high voltage side to the low voltage side as required by most standards around the world. Faults inside the charger involving the supply voltage can then easily end up being transferred to phone.

http://www.wantinews.com/news-5019623-How-220V-through-the-body-structure-Secret-phone-charger.html

The UL standard for products without grounded line cords is that the primary circuits are all double insulated.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 10:15:12 AM »

Because you are addicted to your online presence. That's one of the reason that pedestrian-automobile accidents seem to be rising, people walk into light poles, and into decorative fountains in shopping malls.

Here we've taken to calling them phone zombies. They're numerous and easy to recognize: slightly forward stooped gate; head down; phone raised; and, generally, a remarkable lack of affect and situational awareness. When you see one you best get out of its way. -F
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Al Keltz

• Rochester, NY
    • Whirlwind
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2014, 02:24:08 PM »

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2014, 09:49:00 PM »

If the voltage went away when you took the switch out of the circuit, I'd vote for the switch body being made of a material that is a bit conductive.  (I recently found that uncured superglue and uncured liquid nails are conductive - I've not tested them when cured.)

john lutz

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2014, 10:07:01 PM »

If the voltage went away when you took the switch out of the circuit, I'd vote for the switch body being made of a material that is a bit conductive.  (I recently found that uncured superglue and uncured liquid nails are conductive - I've not tested them when cured.)

Interesting find Tim.  In my case it came down to having just one of the six ground pin receptacles on my cheap arse power strip being essentially intermittent.  As soon as open ground was suggested I went back and found it - prior, I didn't know exactly what I was looking for.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2014, 10:14:43 PM »

Interesting find Tim.  In my case it came down to having just one of the six ground pin receptacles on my cheap arse power strip being essentially intermittent.  As soon as open ground was suggested I went back and found it - prior, I didn't know exactly what I was looking for.

Remember, if you find significant voltage (more than maybe 2 or 3 volts to earth) on the chassis of any gear that has a grounded power cord, then the EGC Equipment Grounding Conductor must be compromised by a high-resistance connection somewhere in the path. This can be from an improperly made compression fitting, loose screw, broken bus or wire, etc... If there's a proper low-resistance EGC path back to the service panel's Earth-Neutral-Ground bus, then an elevated voltage on the gear chassis should be impossible.   

Peter Morris

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2014, 11:21:14 PM »

The UL standard for products without grounded line cords is that the primary circuits are all double insulated.

JR

Yes, that's the case in my part of the world but in this case its more than that, more or less triple insulated.  There are special requiements - separated extra low voltage SELV contained (I think) in UL/ISO/IEC 60950.1

Have a look at this link - see creepage and clearance and Safety in the transformer

http://www.righto.com/2014/05/a-look-inside-ipad-chargers-pricey.html

« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 03:17:39 AM by Peter Morris »

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2014, 10:41:25 AM »

Yes, that's the case in my part of the world but in this case its more than that, more or less triple insulated.  There are special requiements - separated extra low voltage SELV contained (I think) in UL/ISO/IEC 60950.1

Have a look at this link - see creepage and clearance and Safety in the transformer

http://www.righto.com/2014/05/a-look-inside-ipad-chargers-pricey.html
There should be a special room in hell for pirates who put agency approval marks on products they know are unsafe.

Yes I have some experience satisfying safety agencies. My recollection was 1/4" spacing for 120V primary wiring.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2014, 10:41:25 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.