ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Dedicated Amp for the D&B J-Sub?  (Read 23076 times)

James Richmor

Re: Dedicated Amp for the D&B J-Sub?
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2014, 09:17:06 PM »

How are we supposed to know what was included in the quote-since you didn't list items.

When renting pieces-it is REAL easy to forget important things LIKE A POWER DISTRO AND FEEDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A real sound company will have that on the truck and has a lot more flexibility for dealing with situations that come up.

It is indeed easy. If i used a lighting type distro like this one http://www.motionlabs.com/download/1300-400A-18-2-XX.pdf Would that work? and i didn't include feeder cable because i don't expect that to cost major amounts of money so i left it out

James Richmor

« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2014, 09:17:25 PM »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2014, 09:24:54 PM »

I will do exactly this in fact i'll copy and paste it if you don't mind, now i just have to wait to acquire more money because as it is now i have literally less then 1k so the event is pretty far away from happening as you may imagine and i do not want to approach the sound company with so little money that i couldn't even take a guess as to when the event would happen.

James, you're not grokking the concept as presented.  The idea is that if you take the approach I outline, you're not obligating anyone (including yourself), you're getting estimates to determine the viability of this proposed gig.

We do this shit every day - getting quotes to promoters and venues so they can assess the potential of a proposed show.  You won't be burning bridges if you're up front about the nature of your RFP or RFQ inquiry.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

James Richmor

« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2014, 12:21:56 AM »

James, you're not grokking the concept as presented.  The idea is that if you take the approach I outline, you're not obligating anyone (including yourself), you're getting estimates to determine the viability of this proposed gig.

We do this shit every day - getting quotes to promoters and venues so they can assess the potential of a proposed show.  You won't be burning bridges if you're up front about the nature of your RFP or RFQ inquiry.

Hummm alright Tim, i am going to email a Sound company i hope they react as you expect them to.

EDIT: i've sent an email off to the obvious people who carry L-Acoustics in the LA area.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 12:46:58 AM by James Richmor »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2014, 12:55:26 AM »

They are "just standing there" to protect the hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of gear from improper operation.

Sent from my To Be Filled By O.E.M. using Tapatalk
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Michael Gorecki

« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2014, 01:43:56 AM »

I never saw motors mentioned once in either thread. That's one hell of a ground stack. ;D

James Richmor

« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2014, 01:50:52 AM »

@ Scott i do understand that and i meant no offence with my comment

@ Michael I think it was mentioned only once in the original thread that the venue's ceiling can not support the weight of the array's so we will build scaffolding towers for the Arrays to be flown in and the venue has their own rigging company which provides motors

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2014, 02:13:47 AM »

@ Scott i do understand that and i meant no offence with my comment

@ Michael I think it was mentioned only once in the original thread that the venue's ceiling can not support the weight of the array's so we will build scaffolding towers for the Arrays to be flown in and the venue has their own rigging company which provides motors

James, the word is offense and you can't offend me.  As I mentioned this is entertaining.

Now that you admitted that this is somewhat of a fantasy the requirement for line arrays is in your head.  Especially if you don't have structural support why not consider a ground stack?  The Danley gear is economical and would stun your attendees with the quality.

Why is this venue so critical?  It sounds like you are forcing a square peg into a round hole.

You can't be emotional about this, it's not a chance for you to play with gear or say you have promoted an event.  If you get emotional it's much harder to walk away from something that doesn't make sense.  The decision needs to be risk vs reward, that's it. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2014, 07:38:12 AM »

It is indeed easy. If i used a lighting type distro like this one http://www.motionlabs.com/download/1300-400A-18-2-XX.pdf Would that work? and i didn't include feeder cable because i don't expect that to cost major amounts of money so i left it out
I have no idea.

Getting power to the distro is pretty standard and common.

HOWEVER the DISTROBUTION side of it varies fro company to company-depending on how their racks are setup/wired-what amps are being used-at what voltage-with what connectors.

While there are some "common" ways-there are a good number of them and each distro is usually unique-unless you are just talking about regular edison plugs.  But you will need A LOT of them.

There is a reason it is called A SYSTEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is because it is designed to work TOGETHER.

Distro is a very common term-but I bet if you asked for a description of everybodys distro  here-it would be different.

Sure you need a transmission for your car-but exactly what engine do you have?  They don't all fit-but basically do the same thing.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

James Richmor

« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2014, 11:55:06 AM »

James, the word is offense and you can't offend me.  As I mentioned this is entertaining.

Now that you admitted that this is somewhat of a fantasy the requirement for line arrays is in your head.  Especially if you don't have structural support why not consider a ground stack?  The Danley gear is economical and would stun your attendees with the quality.

Why is this venue so critical?  It sounds like you are forcing a square peg into a round hole.

You can't be emotional about this, it's not a chance for you to play with gear or say you have promoted an event.  If you get emotional it's much harder to walk away from something that doesn't make sense.  The decision needs to be risk vs reward, that's it.

A quick google search and i can not seem to find any Danley gear over here in LA. The venue is critical because there is nothing else around here that has a 5k person capacity and is wide enough for me to use, there's an option to use a warehouse but i would imagine getting permits for that would be very hard and it would cost more than using a venue that already has permits. Pretty much what i mean by that is If i where to get a warehouse i'd have to bring in my own restrooms, ticket takers , concession stand staff, and generators.

About getting emotional The risk is high of course but the reward is just as high. There is no option to walk away.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2014, 11:55:06 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.