ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New QSC GP218 subs  (Read 6047 times)

Allen Cole

• MyOwnReality: getting better at it every day.
    • Mor than Just a DJ
New QSC GP218 subs
« on: September 26, 2014, 08:21:15 AM »

So recently I was lucky enough to come upon a killer deal on two of these subs used (2 for around the cost of 1 new) and when I tested them they gave superior output, each single sub with a 28 hz sine tone shook the entire bar and even knocked a couple glasses off of the counter. However, when I took them out to test them at a small out door party I was less impressed with their volume(the sound on the other hand was nice and tight.)

At the bar the subs were being run on what I believe was a yorkeville AP4k, in the quarry I had them hooked up to my RMX5050, being run in parallel mode.  Now it's difficult to say for sure because I didn't do a side by side comparison, but I believe that with the same amp and cables my Yammy s218v(bought modified with DefiniMax drivers, which I have since resealed and insulated) seem to put out a bit more volume(though I'll be it a bit looser sounding.)

My assumption is that they're a bit more power hungry, so I'm trying to figure out which way I should go amp wise.

At the moment I have the 5050, and a 2450, and I've seen a decent deal on a few more 2450's on CL, but am also considering tracking down another 5050(could be overkill), a pair of PLX3602's, or a single PL380.  However friends have brought up macro-techs, i-techs, and Crest as well.

I want to get the most out of their low extension (27.4hz unprocessed or so says the specs) as my specialization is in electronic music.

Has anybody else worked with these subs?  If so with what amps?  Also where do I find .dsp files for them? 

Also thinking about various franken-gear combos, I can run them 2 way with 1 B52 ACT1515 per side, or 3way with the yammy's stacked on top running the mid bass and 3x yamaha CS112iv per side if I buy these 2450's.  Thoughts and opinions?
mor than just a:
DJ, Sound Guy, Event Producer

Dennis Wiggins

Re: New QSC GP218 subs
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 09:17:44 AM »

specs:

GP218-sw
SPECIFICATIONS
GP218-sw
Frequency Response (±3 dB)   31.4 Hz to 240 Hz (without processing)
Frequency Range (-10 dB)   27.4 Hz to 1.2 kHz (without processing)
Nominal Impedance   4 ohms
Continuous Power Capacity   1700 W
Recommended Power   3000 to 4000 W

---------------

Don't expect much below 30 hz. 

Outdoors will require at least double the cabinets/amps to sound equivalent to indoors.

"Also where do I find .dsp files for them?"  Call QSC.

Experiment.

Experiment.

Experiment.

-Dennis
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 09:20:03 AM by Dennis Wiggins »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 09:30:47 AM »

Outdoors will require at least double the cabinets/amps to sound equivalent to indoors.

To get "the same" sound as indoors-I recommend at least 4 time the subs/amps-as a minimum STARTING point.

Good enough and "the same" are very different things.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Michael Gorecki

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 01:00:36 PM »

I just had a similar problem with the same speakers. I had a buddy that bought two 340's and two 218's and I just couldn't get the volume that I know I can get out of my 380 with the same subs. After swapping the amps 2 340's for the one 380 he is getting much better results. Only doing EDM music. On a side note the other company I work with has 16 of these and they are all run by ITech 12000 HD. This is a much better setup IMO. If I end up switching amps it will be to the same amps most likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marjan Milosevic

• MM-acoustics
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 02:54:33 PM »

I would really like to see a 3dr party measurements on that box. That spec is fishy a bit.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 05:55:26 PM »

I would really like to see a 3dr party measurements on that box. That spec is fishy a bit.

Let me take this opportunity to remind ALL manufacturers participating here to observe the rules.

Refrain from commenting on other manufacturers' products.
Speak about your products only when a question is on the table.
Refrain from steering threads toward your products, no matter how unintentional.

Thank you (and everyone else) for your cooperation.

Edit: rephrasing for generic policy "reminder".

« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 07:12:05 PM by Doug Fowler »
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Allen Cole

• MyOwnReality: getting better at it every day.
    • Mor than Just a DJ
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 06:16:27 AM »

I just had a similar problem with the same speakers. I had a buddy that bought two 340's and two 218's and I just couldn't get the volume that I know I can get out of my 380 with the same subs. After swapping the amps 2 340's for the one 380 he is getting much better results. Only doing EDM music. On a side note the other company I work with has 16 of these and they are all run by ITech 12000 HD. This is a much better setup IMO. If I end up switching amps it will be to the same amps most likely.

Thanks for actually addressing my questions and confirming my suspicions.  Have you or your buddies tried running these babies with an RMX2450/5050 in bridge mode?  I'm thinking about tracking down another 5050 and keeping the limiters on my driverack set extra low.  At this moment that seems like that would be cheapest and most direct route to getting

@ wiggins, Thanks but you're not really stating anything but the obvious.  If I wanted spec sheets and general sound info I would just goto the QSC website or do a google search, I posted on the forum looking for actual real world experience.  I'd love to experiment more but I have so much gear and tools in my tiny 1 car garage that I barely have an isle to move the gear in and out, and naturally I'd rather not take a bunch of un-needed equipment in the way and complicating things while out gigging.
mor than just a:
DJ, Sound Guy, Event Producer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 06:16:27 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.