ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AC line splitters?  (Read 3206 times)

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
AC line splitters?
« on: September 22, 2014, 10:50:18 PM »

Anybody have a recommendation for an AC line splitter to go with my new clamp ammeter?  My local (115 miles) Sears had a Fluke 373 on clearance pricing, so I picked one up. I know I can build my own with 12/3 SOOW and a set of quality ends, but that won't give me a 10x option. The usual suspects seem reasonably priced; is there a clear favorite or make/model to avoid? NEMA 5-15 configuration, at least to start...or should I just roll my own?  Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Re: AC line splitters?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 10:57:06 PM »

Anybody have a recommendation for an AC line splitter to go with my new clamp ammeter?  My local (115 miles) Sears had a Fluke 373 on clearance pricing, so I picked one up. I know I can build my own with 12/3 SOOW and a set of quality ends, but that won't give me a 10x option. The usual suspects seem reasonably priced; is there a clear favorite or make/model to avoid? NEMA 5-15 configuration, at least to start...or should I just roll my own?  Mark C.

Here's what I use for quickie tests, an Amprobe ELS2A. You can roll your own and do a wrap 10 times around an old plastic solder spool for the 10X multiplier, but it won't look as pretty and might scare the uninformed.

BTW: I've asked Ampobe if they can make a version with the 10X loop in the EGC Safety Ground Wire so that a standard 10 mA resolution clamp meter can be used to chase down 1 to 5 mA high-impedance ground leakage that might be tripping a GFCI. I would ask for it to be colored maybe green with a big label for ground fault current testing.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 11:00:40 PM by Mike Sokol »

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 01:55:08 PM »

Thanks, Mike. I appreciate your response. Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 01:55:08 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 24 queries.