ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting decibel level from computer and headphone information  (Read 8411 times)

Timothy Olsen

Getting decibel level from computer and headphone information
« on: September 20, 2014, 05:03:55 PM »

Hello,

I am looking for a way to tell what decibel level my headphones are giving out without using a sound-recorder of any type.  I would like to try and make an algorithm that takes the information about the sound coming from the computer, and information about the output from the headphones, and deciphers the dB level coming out of the headphones.

I was wondering if anyone knows if this may be at all possible?  Is it possible to get some kind of information from the computer (e.g. a sound output value from the sound-card), and information from the headphones (e.g. their impedence value), and find out what level of sound the headphones are producing?

Any thoughts on this would be very much appreciated.

Tim

Merlijn van Veen

• www.merlijnvanveen.nl
Re: Getting decibel level from computer and headphone information
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 05:42:05 PM »

Hello,

I am looking for a way to tell what decibel level my headphones are giving out without using a sound-recorder of any type.  I would like to try and make an algorithm that takes the information about the sound coming from the computer, and information about the output from the headphones, and deciphers the dB level coming out of the headphones.

I was wondering if anyone knows if this may be at all possible?  Is it possible to get some kind of information from the computer (e.g. a sound output value from the sound-card), and information from the headphones (e.g. their impedence value), and find out what level of sound the headphones are producing?

Tim

Please change your name as specified in the forum rules.

Sincerely,

Merlijn

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 10:52:14 PM »

Hello,

Tim

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Lyle Williams

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 05:07:14 AM »

The relative efficiency of the different headphones is an unknown.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 02:38:44 PM »

Hello,

I am looking for a way to tell what decibel level my headphones are giving out without using a sound-recorder of any type.
Tim,

What you are attempting to do is possible, but would require measurement of the headphone's frequency response with a given voltage level, which then could be correlated with the headphone output voltage.

With regular loudspeakers frequency response and sensitivity are not difficult measurements, but the shape and size of ears varies, and with the sound source so close to the ear canal, those differences can affect the output by several dB.

Art

Forrest C Gilmore

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 02:34:46 PM »

I would purchase an inexpensive sound level meter and cup the headphones around it. This should give you the data you need. Pros use a head-shaped device with implanted microphones, but this should not be needed in your case.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber