ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP Recommendations  (Read 7339 times)

Mario Pollio

DSP Recommendations
« on: September 22, 2014, 08:16:30 PM »

Now that I learned a bit about DSP's, I'm looking for a recommendation. I'm a mobile DJ that currently uses JBL PRX speakers and will be adding Danley TH118's and SM80's powered by crown I-tech amps to the inventory for larger, higher paying jobs (hopefully sooner rather than later). I'm looking for a DSP that I can use for either one of these set ups. My budget is in the $500 dollar ballpark but am a bit flexible if there is something in the range that is worth it. What DSP would you guys recommend for my use and why? The system would range form a pair of PRX615m's (smallest) to PRX615m's with 2 PRX618s-XLF's, to an absolute maximum of 4 TH118's and 2 SM80's (largest sound system).

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: DSP Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 08:27:37 PM »

Ashly 3.6SP is close to budget new.  You need to look used, or up the budget.  If you have a laptop, a Symetrix Jupiter 4 or 8 would be great.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 08:31:58 PM »

Now that I learned a bit about DSP's, I'm looking for a recommendation. I'm a mobile DJ that currently uses JBL PRX speakers and will be adding Danley TH118's and SM80's powered by crown I-tech amps to the inventory for larger, higher paying jobs (hopefully sooner rather than later). I'm looking for a DSP that I can use for either one of these set ups. My budget is in the $500 dollar ballpark but am a bit flexible if there is something in the range that is worth it. What DSP would you guys recommend for my use and why? The system would range form a pair of PRX615m's (smallest) to PRX615m's with 2 PRX618s-XLF's, to an absolute maximum of 4 TH118's and 2 SM80's (largest sound system).
As a general idea you need a 4x8 (4 in 8 out) DSP

The way I figure is as follows.

Left and right main inputs and biamped PA.  It doesn't matter how many subs you add-they will all be off of the same DSP ouptut.

That is 2 in and 4 out. (hi and low for each left and right) 

DJ monitors  left and right in and biamped as well.

You might start with full range monitors-so that would be 2 out-but plan on 4 outputs (stereo lo and hi) so you don't have to "redo" your system if you upgrade.

I am not aware of a 4x8 at that price point new-but you might can find some used.

There is nothing special needed for the Danley speakers-so pretty much any DSP would work as long as it has the basic functions.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mario Pollio

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 08:34:40 PM »

Ashly 3.6SP is close to budget new.  You need to look used, or up the budget.  If you have a laptop, a Symetrix Jupiter 4 or 8 would be great.

Yes, I have a laptop. You would recommend the symmetrix Jupiter's over the Ashly 3.6SP then? I'm guessing the Driverack units are overhyped

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 08:35:44 PM »

Remember that iTech's already have a decent internal DSP. Any DSP you buy can likly be sold if you go with an amp that has on board DSP.  You really should go with an amp that has on board DSP.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Mario Pollio

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 08:36:59 PM »

As a general idea you need a 4x8 (4 in 8 out) DSP

The way I figure is as follows.

Left and right main inputs and biamped PA.  It doesn't matter how many subs you add-they will all be off of the same DSP ouptut.

That is 2 in and 4 out. (hi and low for each left and right) 

DJ monitors  left and right in and biamped as well.

You might start with full range monitors-so that would be 2 out-but plan on 4 outputs (stereo lo and hi) so you don't have to "redo" your system if you upgrade.

I am not aware of a 4x8 at that price point new-but you might can find some used.

There is nothing special needed for the Danley speakers-so pretty much any DSP would work as long as it has the basic functions.

Which would be the closest to that price point that you would recommend? I haven't seen that many DSP's with that many inputs and outputs.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 09:47:15 PM by Mario Pollio »

Mario Pollio

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 09:48:48 PM »

Remember that iTech's already have a decent internal DSP. Any DSP you buy can likly be sold if you go with an amp that has on board DSP.  You really should go with an amp that has on board DSP.

So with an amp with the onboard DSP, I wouldn't even have to buy an external DSP? What is the DSP in the I-tech amps limited to? I know with something like a driverack, it also comes with a feedback eliminator, which is nice.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 12:02:04 AM »

So with an amp with the onboard DSP, I wouldn't even have to buy an external DSP? What is the DSP in the I-tech amps limited to? I know with something like a driverack, it also comes with a feedback eliminator, which is nice.

With the speakers you are looking at, there is no need for any external processor if you are using iTechs.  The amps can handle it all, EQ, crossover, delay, limiting. If you need a feedback eliminator, you are probably doing something wrong.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 12:28:01 AM »

With the speakers you are looking at, there is no need for any external processor if you are using iTechs.  The amps can handle it all, EQ, crossover, delay, limiting. If you need a feedback eliminator, you are probably doing something wrong.

Agreed. Just get iTech for your Danley. If you're just stepping out of PRX world, I imagine you'll have enough on your plate learning to use the advanced iTech DSP.

Mario Pollio

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 06:37:52 AM »

Agreed. Just get iTech for your Danley. If you're just stepping out of PRX world, I imagine you'll have enough on your plate learning to use the advanced iTech DSP.

Thanks for the advice. I definitely have a lot of learning to do.

I don't really need a feedback eliminator. I have a basic wireless mic system (Shure BLX24 with an SM58) and never had feedback issues. I had a Sennheiser mic that retails at about twice the price that had more feedback issues. I guess in some cases, simpler is better.

Thomas Le

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 12:33:43 AM »

Thanks for the advice. I definitely have a lot of learning to do.

I don't really need a feedback eliminator. I have a basic wireless mic system (Shure BLX24 with an SM58) and never had feedback issues. I had a Sennheiser mic that retails at about twice the price that had more feedback issues. I guess in some cases, simpler is better.

That's odd, maybe the gain settings are too high on the transmitter/receiver?

Mario Pollio

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 06:29:13 AM »

That's odd, maybe the gain settings are too high on the transmitter/receiver?

I'm not sure, I played with the gain and the very limited eq on the DJ mixer and got it to a point where it was acceptable, but it seemed like the mic really had to be properly eq-ed. It sounded a lot better than my SM58, it was just slightly more prone to feedback for some reason.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 06:29:13 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.