ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Blown PRX 15  (Read 5551 times)

Steve Garris

Blown PRX 15
« on: September 21, 2014, 03:41:32 PM »

I've got a blown 15 in my JBL PRX615 box. A dj played through my pa at my last gig, and last night, the 15 was making a farting noise when heavy bass was coming through it at low levels. I disconnected the 15 and made it through the night, but need a quick fix.

If I were to take this to a speaker shop in Seattle, would they be able to repair it? quickly?

Or perhaps I should just buy a new replacement and get mine fixed for a back up?

I appreciate any input - I have a gig this Thursday so I need to act fast!

Steve Garris

Re: Blown PRX 15
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 04:45:41 PM »

Opened it up today, reconnected the 15 and it sounds better than last night. The speaker works but sounds gritty - distorted. I Switched back and forth between this box and my other, and played some music through them pretty loud, but the difference between it and the other box was more subtle.

When I pushed on the unpowered woofer, it felt rough, scraping inside.

This won't be anything external; cables, signal, etc. I switched boxes and the problem moved to the other side. I was using the pass through for the input from the board.

Sorry for my speaker ignorance. I've not had my own system until recently, so my only dealings with blown speakers is me getting yelled at for blowing someone else's stuff.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 04:46:24 PM »

Buy the replacement. Contact Charlie Tappa at Pro Sound Service Braintree, MA. He'll ship overnight if you want him to.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

David Parker

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 07:55:29 PM »

When I pushed on the unpowered woofer, it felt rough, scraping inside.

that's the classic symptoms of a warped voice coil, due to overheating

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 08:29:58 PM »

I've got a blown 15 in my JBL PRX615 box. A dj played through my pa at my last gig, and last night, the 15 was making a farting noise when heavy bass was coming through it at low levels. I disconnected the 15 and made it through the night, but need a quick fix.

If I were to take this to a speaker shop in Seattle, would they be able to repair it? quickly?

Or perhaps I should just buy a new replacement and get mine fixed for a back up?

I appreciate any input - I have a gig this Thursday so I need to act fast!
If you are pushing the system hard enough to cause damage-I suggest you buy a replacement woofer and get the existing one reconed.

That way you have a backup for next time.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 09:03:51 PM »

If you are pushing the system hard enough to cause damage-I suggest you buy a replacement woofer and get the existing one reconed.

... and I hope you have a way to get the DJ to pay for the damage. I know I am probably dreaming, but at the same time... if they f*cked it up, they need to be responsible...

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Steve Garris

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 09:08:13 PM »

Sounds like the plan. I don't push them hard with the Beatles band I was running, but I do run them in full range mode. I think the extra-low, extra loud DJ tracks pushed this one too hard. When I checked, the limiters were not engaging, but he got louder and lower later in the night.

Does anyone think I should swap the 15's first, just to confirm that it's not the amp module?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 09:15:09 PM »

Sounds like the plan. I don't push them hard with the Beatles band I was running, but I do run them in full range mode. I think the extra-low, extra loud DJ tracks pushed this one too hard. When I checked, the limiters were not engaging, but he got louder and lower later in the night.

Does anyone think I should swap the 15's first, just to confirm that it's not the amp module?
The first thing is to confirm WHERE/WHAT the problem is.

Swapping parts is always a good place to start.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 11:10:48 PM »

A dj played through my pa at my last gig, and...

Please wait until Halloween to post horror...

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 10:26:37 AM »

If the next gig is another DJ, back away from the speaker cabinet and leave it as it is.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 10:26:37 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.681 seconds with 24 queries.