ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: [SOLVED]HELP, x32 won't boot  (Read 31949 times)

Dave Bednarski

Re: HELP, x32 won't boot
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 01:34:36 PM »

Did you ever contact Behringer about the issue?

Not yet because it is so intermittent.  I cannot for the life of me recreate it - the manufacturer reps who follow these threads expressed no interest in the problem either - so I assumed returning it would result in 'unable to recreate the problem'.  So initially, I follow the suggestions of the thread and bought the TripLite and carried an analog backup... kept an eye on this board + SF JV + Behringer to see if anyone else had the issue... you're the first person to have similar problem.

Have you tried to just... leave it on for an hour or so?  Taken voltage readings?  Does your backup X32 boot up on the same power source?

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 03:30:16 PM »

Not yet because it is so intermittent.  I cannot for the life of me recreate it - the manufacturer reps who follow these threads expressed no interest in the problem either - so I assumed returning it would result in 'unable to recreate the problem'.  So initially, I follow the suggestions of the thread and bought the TripLite and carried an analog backup... kept an eye on this board + SF JV + Behringer to see if anyone else had the issue... you're the first person to have similar problem.

Have you tried to just... leave it on for an hour or so?  Taken voltage readings?  Does your backup X32 boot up on the same power source?

We don't have another x32; we had an analog backup console. I didn't meter the voltage, but everything else in the booth was working fine plugged into the same power strips/outlets. I didn't try leaving the board on. Honestly I'd rather have it in the "failure" state when we send it in so the problem will be evident. I want it fixed as opposed to booting when it feels like it.

Thread update:

Got a call back from Behringer this morning and unfortunately the warranty is out on the board; apparently we forgot/didn't know to register it for the extended coverage. We did however buy an extended warranty(good for 2 years and we bought the board in December 2012) through Musicians Friend where we bought the board so I'll have to contact them about getting it fixed. I know we have the paperwork for that as I saw it with the receipt at church.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 03:38:08 PM »

We don't have another x32; we had an analog backup console. I didn't meter the voltage, but everything else in the booth was working fine plugged into the same power strips/outlets. I didn't try leaving the board on. Honestly I'd rather have it in the "failure" state when we send it in so the problem will be evident. I want it fixed as opposed to booting when it feels like it.

Thread update:

Got a call back from Behringer this morning and unfortunately the warranty is out on the board; apparently we forgot/didn't know to register it for the extended coverage. We did however buy an extended warranty(good for 2 years and we bought the board in December 2012) through Musicians Friend where we bought the board so I'll have to contact them about getting it fixed. I know we have the paperwork for that as I saw it with the receipt at church.

IIRC there is a Youtube clip of X32 disassembly with a shot of the PSU and the servicing person's comment that it appeared to be "standard" unit, whatever that might mean.  It's out of warranty, you could open it up and take a look...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 03:48:57 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 03:49:19 PM »

IRC there is a Youtube clip of X32 disassembly with a shot of the PSU and the servicing person's comment that it appeared to be "standard" unit, whatever that might mean.  It's out of warranty, you could open it up and take a look...

Yeah, might try that after I exhaust my other options. I'm going to call the extended warranty people in the morning and see how much of a run around they give me. Hopefully they take care of it and we get the board fixed. If that doesn't happen I'll try and get a repair cost estimate from Behringer(assuming they'll work on it out of warranty) and go from there. If it's excessively expensive then I'll try and leave it on for a while like Dave suggests and see if it comes back to life.

I'd prefer not to have to open it up if I can help it... If it was my personal board I'd be more inclined to.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 07:13:40 AM »

I don't own an X32, but all computer systems rely on a processor and RAM. These components are seldom soldered to the motherboard and are often the reason for this type problem. Over the past 30 years or so I may have brought thousands of systems back to live by reseating the RAM and processor. The problem is oxidization you can't even see. I suggest that you open the board and reseat the RAM and test. If it's a no go then reseat the processor, being very careful to not bend any pins when you do it.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 08:41:49 AM »

I don't own an X32, but all computer systems rely on a processor and RAM. These components are seldom soldered to the motherboard and are often the reason for this type problem. Over the past 30 years or so I may have brought thousands of systems back to live by reseating the RAM and processor. The problem is oxidization you can't even see. I suggest that you open the board and reseat the RAM and test. If it's a no go then reseat the processor, being very careful to not bend any pins when you do it.

That's fine for those 1982 X286 PC's Bobby, but watching that breakdown video confirmed my thoughts, all SMT, with 2 high density DSP processors doing all the work, a couple of ATMEL memories, SMT. Id guess more of a cable/connector mounting issue, maybe even poor or no solder on one the the through-hole power connector PCB pins, but just a guess.

Mike
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 08:44:05 AM by Mike Christy »

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 10:00:01 AM »

Mike,
Never looked inside an X32, so you're saying everything is SMT?? No sockets for RAM, processor, etc?? Poor design when you have to replace the entire motherboard to perform a repair. All I can say to that is reseat everything you can reseat and cross your fingers.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2014, 05:34:55 PM »

Contacted the extended warranty people(Musician's Friend) yesterday and was able to get a person on the phone easily. After answering some questions they emailed me a prepaid UPS shipping label; we packed the board up yesterday(after confirming it was still not booting) and one of the church staff was going to ship it out today. I'll update the thread when we get the board back or hear anything else.

Thanks again,
Tommy

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 03:01:21 PM »

Good luck Tommy.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Mike Diack

• Auckland, New Zealand.
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 05:06:45 PM »

Mike,
Never looked inside an X32, so you're saying everything is SMT?? No sockets for RAM, processor, etc?? Poor design when you have to replace the entire motherboard to perform a repair. All I can say to that is reseat everything you can reseat and cross your fingers.
Look inside your Soundcraft, Bob, and you'll find it's exactly the same. Sockets? The DSP chips don't even have legs !. BGA packages in which you can only verify the integrity of the connections with an Xray. Was inside 2 SiCompacts last week (luckily only crappy faders in one, the other, a faulty EMMA board which, as the mixer was out of warranty, was effectively trash). The brave new world of electronics <sigh>.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 05:06:45 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 19 queries.