ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound Measurement and Calibration Information  (Read 10230 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Sound Measurement and Calibration Information
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 09:59:33 AM »

Which DSP's do you have settings for?
Just ours.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 10:31:43 AM »

While there is a trend towards manufacturers only having settings for their boxes in their own DSP line rather than trying to create settings across all the possible lines of DSP s available, I would also note the better behaved a box is on its own, the easier that box is to work into a crossover for multiple boxes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 01:08:12 PM »

I'm definitely very interested in taking it. Hopefully it is somewhat local. When I get home later, I'll read more up on it.
There are 2sides to measuring

One is knowing the hardware/system

The other and harder one is knowing how to measure knowing if have a good measurement etc

The deeper you in this the harder more complex it gets. You start to question all sorts of things that you never thought about before
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 01:12:24 PM »

While there is a trend towards manufacturers only having settings for their boxes in their own DSP line rather than trying to create settings across all the possible lines of DSP s available, I would also note the better behaved a box is on its own, the easier that box is to work into a crossover for multiple boxes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Which is exactly why we put a lot of effort into making cabinets that sound good with no or minimal eq needed

When you have box that needs a lot of correction it gets very specific on that correction

Our opinion is that it should sound good right out of the box

Other people feel different and there are reasons for both approaches

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Merlijn van Veen

• www.merlijnvanveen.nl
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 01:50:52 PM »

Which is exactly why we put a lot of effort into making cabinets that sound good with no or minimal eq needed

When you have box that needs a lot of correction it gets very specific on that correction

Our opinion is that it should sound good right out of the box

Other people feel different and there are reasons for both approaches

Dear Ivan,

Your last post has been reported by forum users as unsolicited advertising. All good intentions set aside, try to refrain from further similar remarks.

Dear Mario,

For further inquiries regarding Danley please contact Ivan or Danley directly and not by means of this forum.

Regards,

Merlijn van Veen

Mario Pollio

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2014, 02:50:53 PM »

There are 2sides to measuring

One is knowing the hardware/system

The other and harder one is knowing how to measure knowing if have a good measurement etc

The deeper you in this the harder more complex it gets. You start to question all sorts of things that you never thought about before

I need to learn both sides of this with PA equipment. I checked out the smaart website for their seminars and the only one close to me is already full.

Dear Ivan,

Your last post has been reported by forum users as unsolicited advertising. All good intentions set aside, try to refrain from further similar remarks.

Dear Mario,

For further inquiries regarding Danley please contact Ivan or Danley directly and not by means of this forum.

Regards,

Merlijn van Veen

Sorry, I didn't mean to break any rules. Just looking for more general information.

I've been researching a bunch of different DSP's and noticed the DBX DriveRack units have auto room correction where it plays pink noise and eq's itself trying to match a target curve that you pre select. How well does this work? I'm not looking for an easy way out, I'm just wondering how effective it is. I'm guessing it only eqs the system but doesn't set delays, phase etc?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2014, 08:06:56 PM »

I've been researching a bunch of different DSP's and noticed the DBX DriveRack units have auto room correction where it plays pink noise and eq's itself trying to match a target curve that you pre select. How well does this work? I'm not looking for an easy way out, I'm just wondering how effective it is. I'm guessing it only eqs the system but doesn't set delays, phase etc?
This is generally considered a BAD idea.

The "auto function" will make a lot of assumptions and try to "correct" them. Even if the mic is in a bad position-or the loudspeaker cannot reproduce the "boosts" added.

In some instances it could work OK-but you have to be wary.

Nothing is automatic.  Even the transmission your car.

If it was truly "automatic", then when you sat in the car it would know whether to put the car in drive or Reverse.

It does not.  It takes a bit of user knowledge to put it in the correct starting gear.

The same thing applies to "automatic eq".  The USER needs to put some "sense" into the whole equation.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2014, 08:09:03 PM »

Dear Ivan,

Dear Mario,

Regards,

Merlijn van Veen
I was simply responding to a direct question about our products.

I have been told by moderators that this is not against the rules.

A person (Mario) was simply asking questions about a product he was interested in buying.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mario Pollio

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2014, 09:02:15 PM »

This is generally considered a BAD idea.

The "auto function" will make a lot of assumptions and try to "correct" them. Even if the mic is in a bad position-or the loudspeaker cannot reproduce the "boosts" added.

In some instances it could work OK-but you have to be wary.

Nothing is automatic.  Even the transmission your car.

If it was truly "automatic", then when you sat in the car it would know whether to put the car in drive or Reverse.

It does not.  It takes a bit of user knowledge to put it in the correct starting gear.

The same thing applies to "automatic eq".  The USER needs to put some "sense" into the whole equation.

Yeah I figured that. With the home audio stuff, I'll use the room eq to get into the ballpark of where things should be, then fine tune the settings the auto eq comes up with. I figured this would be similar. I just have to learn how to take the measurements.

I'll keep checking to see when there's another smaart seminar in my area.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2014, 09:02:15 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.