ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Seismic Audio LINE Array ? WOW Everybody wants a line array  (Read 47375 times)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Seismic Audio LINE Array ? WOW Everybody wants a line array
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2014, 07:40:01 PM »

So I saw recently that t.c. group is for sale. Imagine Seismic Audio buying THAT.... then the comparisons to Post-Behringer-Buying-Midas would be more interesting..... :-p
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2014, 08:39:07 PM »

LOL, Okay Behringer bought Midas. Did Seismic buy L'Acoustics or JBL or Meyer and we all missed it? I don't see the similarities in the comparison with Behringer.  FWIW, you are right. We should actually hear the speakers before forming opinions. I wonder how many can fly in an array and at what safety factor; just curious.

I agree, just on the technical merits of the 50 degree vertical dispersion they can be dismissed.

Also, if I buy a set of Behringer's Eurolive speakers (the non carpeted ones) and power them properly I know they will at least work properly.  Seismic simply sells crap (except those coaxial monitors, still would like to know who is building them, they just raised the price so now you can get the Alto's for less).

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2014, 09:10:12 PM »

I agree, just on the technical merits of the 50 degree vertical dispersion they can be dismissed.

So what do you think the dispersion of a typical line array cabinet is?  At something lower than the top 2 octaves?

A narrow pattern takes a larger horn to have control.

The 50° might actually be more realistic of the typical line array cabinet.

I am not defending any product.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2014, 09:19:59 PM »

So what do you think the dispersion of a typical line array cabinet is?  At something lower than the top 2 octaves?

A narrow pattern takes a larger horn to have control.

The 50° might actually be more realistic of the typical line array cabinet.

I am not defending any product.

Ivan, you beat me to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2014, 09:24:20 PM »

Well the QSC KLA12's I have the most experience with have decent control down to about 200Hz at sea level on a standard say with a 76" 5 element line.  The box's are rated at 18 degrees and that is about right in the real world.  A single box would not have control much below 1000Hz in real life.

If they are rating a single box I see what you are getting at.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2014, 11:31:52 PM »

The 90X50 rating may be what 1 box actually performs at? Any line array box on it's own acts pretty much like any conventional box ( not exactly, but basically ). I would be more worried about the level of intelligibility in a lively room with the crossover point so high. 2.8khz is up there. What makes a PA more intelligible is getting more frequencies into the horn portion of the box. With most of the fundamentals out of the horn crossover point, I get the feeling the box will have some inherent flaws? IT may sound amazing though? If it does, good for them. There are gems out there. I remember many years ago when the Kustom branded 2X10" monitor was considered a great deal of a box. There is a possibility, that like Behringer ( who pulled a win with the X32 ), it's possible for the fisher price of audio to pull one out of the hat?
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2014, 01:04:01 AM »

The 90X50 rating may be what 1 box actually performs at? Any line array box on it's own acts pretty much like any conventional box ( not exactly, but basically ). I would be more worried about the level of intelligibility in a lively room with the crossover point so high. 2.8khz is up there. What makes a PA more intelligible is getting more frequencies into the horn portion of the box. With most of the fundamentals out of the horn crossover point, I get the feeling the box will have some inherent flaws? IT may sound amazing though? If it does, good for them. There are gems out there. I remember many years ago when the Kustom branded 2X10" monitor was considered a great deal of a box. There is a possibility, that like Behringer ( who pulled a win with the X32 ), it's possible for the fisher price of audio to pull one out of the hat?

If a single box is 90x50, it demands the Ivan Question: at what frequency?

What benefits the X32 is that every unit has the same mobo, the same software and only the surface and i/o count change.  There is significant economy of scale when you're looking at 100K units in an industry as small as live audio/recording, but I'm not sure that a vertical array benefits from the same scaling as the thing that's really important - safety - costs about the same per unit to manufacture and inspect whether the order is 1000 pieces or 10,000 pieces.  And that safety has to be built in because some of the purchasers of this product will hang them, although I agree that this will be the new "band" ground stack PA for the must-have-a-'line'-array crowd and an unfortunate number of weekend warriors who need to up their profile to remain competitive in their local markets - again for the must-have-a-'line'-array crowd.

Most of the folks likely to buy this product would probably be better served by purchasing JBL Venue Precision or Vue or Fulcrum or Danley.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2014, 07:01:44 AM »

Speaking of funky line arrays, Carvin got one too.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/TRX3210

Care to edumicate me on what makes this one "funky" ?

EDIT for inflection* I'm still trying to grasp what even makes a line array a line array. I see a lot of users of this system are just stacking 2 per side on poles over subs. Seems there'd be better options for that particular usage, but why do you consider this "funky" as a line array?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 08:05:03 AM by Scott Olewiler »
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2014, 07:32:07 AM »

I would be more worried about the level of intelligibility in a lively room with the crossover point so high. 2.8khz is up there. What makes a PA more intelligible is getting more frequencies into the horn portion of the box.
What makes that more intelligible? 

There are a lot of things that make a sound more intelligible-but "getting more freq into the horn" is not one I am aware of.

Now having a horn that is LARGE enough to CONTROL the freq is a good step in the right direction.

But having a lower crossover point into a HF driver on a horn that is to small is NOT the right direction.  Below where the horn has control it will simply "spew" sound everywhere-which is NOT what you want for intelligibility.

Sometimes it is better to cross over higher and let the mid drivers natural narrowing at the higher freq take care of the "pattern control" at that point.

It is NOT where the crossover freq is-in fact in a GOOD design you should NOT be able to tell where the crossover freq is.  The BEST design will act as a single driver.

So who cares where the crossover freq is if it is not noticeable?

Unless there is something I am missing here.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2014, 06:19:31 PM »

Clair, like in Clair Global?  Is this supposed to be a joke?

The grills look exactly like Clair boxes.
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2014, 06:19:31 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.