ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Edison plug on 12/4 quad box?  (Read 7737 times)

Jared Koopman

Edison plug on 12/4 quad box?
« on: September 13, 2014, 08:39:24 AM »

Hi.

I have two 50ft 12/4 cables with quad edison boxes on one end. The other end is bare, can I safely put an edison plug on the end and use like that or do I have to use the 4 prong 20 amp plug?

Most of my setups use edison so I would prefer that if possible. I know I will lose the 2 circuits of the cable but honestly I don't care at this point, I just need it functional and safe.

Thanks
Jared

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Re: Edison plug on 12/4 quad box?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 08:59:08 AM »

Hi.

I have two 50ft 12/4 cables with quad edison boxes on one end. The other end is bare, can I safely put an edison plug on the end and use like that or do I have to use the 4 prong 20 amp plug?

Most of my setups use edison so I would prefer that if possible. I know I will lose the 2 circuits of the cable but honestly I don't care at this point, I just need it functional and safe.

Thanks
Jared

I would consider installing the proper twist-lock plugs on your cables (L 14-20?), then adding a NEMA 5-15 adapter for plugging into Edison outlets. That way you reduce your voltage drop by 33% (I think) over the run since you're using both legs of the extension cable, but with a common neutral. And then you can always use your quad boxes to plug into a 4-wire distro if you're in that situation.

See http://www.customavrack.com/products/988-5-15p-plug-adapters.aspx for every kind of adapter possible.

What do you wire monkeys think. Is this a reasonable solution? That's how I would do it and it appears to follow all code and UL requirements I can think of.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 01:01:25 PM »

Hi.

Thanks
Jared
I would ignore the red wire and get 'er done.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 02:27:27 PM »

If you ignore the red wire, you still need to rewire the quad-or only us it as a duplex.

Mike' suggestion is more flexible.

If you don't need flexibility, do as TJ suggests-but rewire the quad.  It might be tempting to just hook both red and black wires to the same terminal-might even be doable, but almost certainly wouldn't meet UL specs for the plug.
Steve Swaffer

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 08:30:29 AM »

Hi.

Thanks
Jared

How is the quad box wired? Sounds like it might have been a cheater tail, wired to a 4 wire dryer plug, or a L14-30.

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 09:43:20 AM »

Hi.

Thanks
Jared

As far as I can see there is two options.

A) terminate with L14-20.
B) remove and recycle the 12/4 for another use, replace with 12/3, terminate with u-ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 09:50:25 AM »

B) remove and recycle the 12/4 for another use, replace with 12/3, terminate with u-ground.

Why replace the 12/4?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 10:12:29 AM »

Put an Edison on the cord, using the green, white and black wires.  Re-wire the quad box so all outlets are fed from these conductors.  Enjoy a nice cup of coffee.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jared Koopman

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 10:14:49 AM »

Put an Edison on the cord, using the green, white and black wires.  Re-wire the quad box so all outlets are fed from these conductors.  Enjoy a nice cup of coffee.

That is my plan. For now it will be fine. Once we start doing more with 3 phase I will switch it back over.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 10:32:07 AM »

That is my plan. For now it will be fine. Once we start doing more with 3 phase I will switch it back over.

You need 5 conductors for 3 phase.

To re-purpose this assembly later, you could use 2 hot legs from 3 phase, use a 20 amp 2 pole breaker, L14-20 connectors and re-wire the quad box so each duplex is supplied by 1 phase leg.  There are other implications that are sure to be posited, but low current applications (like back line) won't impose a significant contribution to neutral current.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 10:32:07 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.